IntelRapidTech+Large HDD or SDD+Large HDD?

Looking for thoughts on what would be a smarter choice. I'm getting a prebuilt and I'm currently torn between either a 60 or 120 GB ssd set for the intel rapid respone tech thing, or just a normal 120GB SSD(with OS and a few everyday programs). In both cases my primary data drive will be a 2Gb HDD.

I tried to read up on the IRT thing, but I'm not sure how it performs when compared to how most people are doing an SSD lately. Any comments/concerns before I choose one? I've seen nothing but great responses to 'use an ssd with your OS plus a few games' but I can't find much on IRT usage. Any help greatly appreciated :)
5 answers Last reply
More about intelrapidtech large large
  1. Just use the 120GB as OS and program drive and leave your HDD for storage. There is a lot of good info here if you have not seen it http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-articles-part
  2. Yea, I read through some of those links. My issue is the linked Intel Response Tech is all tech manuals/user guides and nothing of comparative value. Having talked to a friend it seems that the Intel thing is just an added platform ontop of a normal SSD setup? IE: No reason to not use it if you have it? Or am I mistaken in that regard.
  3. It is basically drive managing software to set up raid and other functions. Not necessary if only using individual drives.
  4. This says it all

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h67-p67-z68-and-h61-chipsets-a-22.html

Quote:
    Finally, another feature of a Z68 chipset is known as SSD caching which is where it allows the use of a small (say 10 or 20 GB) Solid state hard drive to act as a cache for a larger ‘traditional’ hard disk. If you are already planning the use of a Solid State drive this feature is redundant.

If you can’t afford a decent size SSD (40GB+) then there are more cost effective ways around using a small SSD and SSD cashing like spending less on a motherboard, (H67 chipset or even a P67 chipset) and putting the saved money into a decent size SSD.
  5. JackNaylorPE said:
    This says it all

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h67-p67-z68-and-h61-chipsets-a-22.html

Quote:
    Finally, another feature of a Z68 chipset is known as SSD caching which is where it allows the use of a small (say 10 or 20 GB) Solid state hard drive to act as a cache for a larger ‘traditional’ hard disk. If you are already planning the use of a Solid State drive this feature is redundant.

If you can’t afford a decent size SSD (40GB+) then there are more cost effective ways around using a small SSD and SSD cashing like spending less on a motherboard, (H67 chipset or even a P67 chipset) and putting the saved money into a decent size SSD.

Ah, that explains it very well. With that it seems obvious to not go with a 60Gb OCZ Agility / 2Tb HDD; and go with the 120Gb version and the 2Tb HDD. The only reason(really) I was considering the 60 and setting for the intel thing, is that it's essentially free after a MIR. Whereas I can get the 120Gb for slightly discounted.

Thanks for the info :)
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Hard Drives Prebuilt Systems Storage