Thief Series on a laptop?

Been shopping around for a laptop and was curious what type of video
accelerator works with Thief Series (especially T2FM's).
I am looking at a laptop now with the following specs:
Processor - Celeron 1.3Ghz
Display - 15-inch WXGA (1024 x 768) BrightView display
Memory - 512MB DDR SDRAM
Hard drive - 80GB enhanced-IDE hard
Optical drive - DVD±R/RW/ CD-RW Combo Drive Dual Layer Support
Video memory - 128 MB DDR SDRAM
Video graphics - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
External ports - 2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0,
1 VGA (15-pin), TV-Out (S-video), 1 headphone-out,
1 microphone-in, 1 VGA (15-pin), 1 RJ-11 (modem),
1 RJ -45 (LAN)
Operating System: - Windows XP Home

Thanks for any advice!
Albert
9 answers Last reply
More about thief series laptop
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Albert Conklin wrote:
    > Been shopping around for a laptop and was curious what type of video
    > accelerator works with Thief Series (especially T2FM's).

    Thief 2 assumes DirextX 7.0, and a 3D accelerated card
    with 16 Mb memory (though I think the more the better).

    You probably won't have any problems exceeding that.
    Remember, Thief 2 is from Win95/98 days.

    --
    Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:24:55 GMT, Albert Conklin
    <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote:

    > Been shopping around for a laptop and was curious what type of video
    >accelerator works with Thief Series (especially T2FM's).

    >Thanks for any advice!

    Anything you can buy new today will run T2 without hitches. If I were
    you, though, I'd spring for an additional 512MB RAM. XP just runs so
    much smoother. If there's room for another memory stick in this
    laptop, I can't see why it shouldn't work fine.

    The CPU might be a bit weak for Thief3, though.
    Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

    To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    There's also the rendition of various shades and depths of black, which
    the heart of the Thief Series.
    I recently replaced my old 17" to a 19" one. The 17" was a CRT. I looked
    at a ton of 19" LCD's. Some
    were quite good but none of them really satisfied the dark atmosphere that
    Thief requires. So I opted for a 19" CRT. Looks great and there are no
    resolution conflicts. Perhaps laptops don't have the "dark atmosphere"
    "problem." Just a thought.

    Albert Conklin wrote:

    > Been shopping around for a laptop and was curious what type of video
    > accelerator works with Thief Series (especially T2FM's).
    > I am looking at a laptop now with the following specs:
    > Processor - Celeron 1.3Ghz
    > Display - 15-inch WXGA (1024 x 768) BrightView display
    > Memory - 512MB DDR SDRAM
    > Hard drive - 80GB enhanced-IDE hard
    > Optical drive - DVD±R/RW/ CD-RW Combo Drive Dual Layer Support
    > Video memory - 128 MB DDR SDRAM
    > Video graphics - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    > External ports - 2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0,
    > 1 VGA (15-pin), TV-Out (S-video), 1 headphone-out,
    > 1 microphone-in, 1 VGA (15-pin), 1 RJ-11 (modem),
    > 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
    > Operating System: - Windows XP Home
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!
    > Albert
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Been shopping around for a laptop and was curious what type of video
    > accelerator works with Thief Series (especially T2FM's).
    > I am looking at a laptop now with the following specs:
    > Processor - Celeron 1.3Ghz
    snip
    > Video memory - 128 MB DDR SDRAM
    > Video graphics - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!
    > Albert

    Hi Albert,

    I guess just about anything will work as all hardware exceeds the minimum
    specs these days.
    However I'ld be careful with the integrated Intel graphics, don't know about
    their 3d capabilities. Is the video memory shared with system memory?

    I'ld definitely go for a dedicated grfx card, even something as old as
    nvidia TNT/2 or ATI Rage Fury class will do. You can still buy a cheap
    laptop with a relatively outdated gfx card, say three year old specs, and
    it's still gonna be miles ahead. Or pick up an oldish laptop second hand.
    But get dedicated grfx.

    Barnaby
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:26:42 -0400, Bob Fairbank <rhf28@crosslink.net>
    wrote:

    >There's also the rendition of various shades and depths of black, which
    >the heart of the Thief Series.
    >I recently replaced my old 17" to a 19" one. The 17" was a CRT. I looked
    >at a ton of 19" LCD's. Some
    >were quite good but none of them really satisfied the dark atmosphere that
    >Thief requires. So I opted for a 19" CRT. Looks great and there are no
    >resolution conflicts. Perhaps laptops don't have the "dark atmosphere"
    >"problem." Just a thought.

    People tend to use laptops all over the place - in the living room,
    watching television, while eating dinner, etc. How many laptops are used
    in dark, subterranean computer rooms by taffers?
    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Barnaby wrote:

    > "Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Been shopping around for a laptop and was curious what type of video
    >>accelerator works with Thief Series (especially T2FM's).
    >> I am looking at a laptop now with the following specs:
    >>Processor - Celeron 1.3Ghz
    >
    > snip
    >
    >>Video memory - 128 MB DDR SDRAM
    >>Video graphics - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    >>
    >>Thanks for any advice!
    >>Albert
    >

    > Hi Albert,
    >
    > I guess just about anything will work as all hardware exceeds the minimum
    > specs these days.
    > However I'ld be careful with the integrated Intel graphics, don't know about
    > their 3d capabilities. Is the video memory shared with system memory?
    >
    > I'ld definitely go for a dedicated grfx card, even something as old as
    > nvidia TNT/2 or ATI Rage Fury class will do. You can still buy a cheap
    > laptop with a relatively outdated gfx card, say three year old specs, and
    > it's still gonna be miles ahead. Or pick up an oldish laptop second hand.
    > But get dedicated grfx.
    >
    > Barnaby

    Not sure if the memory is shared or not. I saw this particular machine
    in the Yahoo Auctions group. But, might have to check on a "cheap" laptop.
    I would like a laptop with a spreadsheet program (ie ExceL) and still
    be able to play Thief2 FM's.
    Albert
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > I would like a laptop with a spreadsheet program (ie ExceL) and still
    > be able to play Thief2 FM's.
    > Albert

    That shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried OpenOffice yet? I've got MS
    Office 97 lying 'round here but haven't used it in years as OO is so much
    better, well and newer and free.

    Barnaby
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Apparently the person who posted the question "Thief Series on a laptop?" Duh

    Michael Cecil wrote:

    > On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:26:42 -0400, Bob Fairbank <rhf28@crosslink.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >There's also the rendition of various shades and depths of black, which
    > >the heart of the Thief Series.
    > >I recently replaced my old 17" to a 19" one. The 17" was a CRT. I looked
    > >at a ton of 19" LCD's. Some
    > >were quite good but none of them really satisfied the dark atmosphere that
    > >Thief requires. So I opted for a 19" CRT. Looks great and there are no
    > >resolution conflicts. Perhaps laptops don't have the "dark atmosphere"
    > >"problem." Just a thought.
    >
    > People tend to use laptops all over the place - in the living room,
    > watching television, while eating dinner, etc. How many laptops are used
    > in dark, subterranean computer rooms by taffers?
    > --
    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    > http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Barnaby wrote:

    > "Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    >

    >> I would like a laptop with a spreadsheet program (ie ExceL) and still
    >>be able to play Thief2 FM's.
    >>Albert
    >

    > That shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried OpenOffice yet? I've got MS
    > Office 97 lying 'round here but haven't used it in years as OO is so much
    > better, well and newer and free.
    >
    > Barnaby

    Never tried OpenOffice, but have heard of it. I enjoy MS Office 2003.
    Albert

Laptops Video Games