Been shopping around for a laptop and was curious what type of video
accelerator works with Thief Series (especially T2FM's).
I am looking at a laptop now with the following specs:
Processor - Celeron 1.3Ghz
Display - 15-inch WXGA (1024 x 768) BrightView display
Memory - 512MB DDR SDRAM
Hard drive - 80GB enhanced-IDE hard
Optical drive - DVD±R/RW/ CD-RW Combo Drive Dual Layer Support
Video memory - 128 MB DDR SDRAM
Video graphics - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
External ports - 2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0,
1 VGA (15-pin), TV-Out (S-video), 1 headphone-out,
1 microphone-in, 1 VGA (15-pin), 1 RJ-11 (modem),
1 RJ -45 (LAN)
Operating System: - Windows XP Home

Thanks for any advice!
Albert

Albert Conklin wrote:
> Been shopping around for a laptop and was curious what type of video
> accelerator works with Thief Series (especially T2FM's).

Thief 2 assumes DirextX 7.0, and a 3D accelerated card
with 16 Mb memory (though I think the more the better).

You probably won't have any problems exceeding that.
Remember, Thief 2 is from Win95/98 days.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:24:55 GMT, Albert Conklin
<aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Been shopping around for a laptop and was curious what type of video
>accelerator works with Thief Series (especially T2FM's).

>Thanks for any advice!

Anything you can buy new today will run T2 without hitches. If I were
you, though, I'd spring for an additional 512MB RAM. XP just runs so
much smoother. If there's room for another memory stick in this
laptop, I can't see why it shouldn't work fine.

The CPU might be a bit weak for Thief3, though.
Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome

There's also the rendition of various shades and depths of black, which
the heart of the Thief Series.
I recently replaced my old 17" to a 19" one. The 17" was a CRT. I looked
at a ton of 19" LCD's. Some
were quite good but none of them really satisfied the dark atmosphere that
Thief requires. So I opted for a 19" CRT. Looks great and there are no
resolution conflicts. Perhaps laptops don't have the "dark atmosphere"
"problem." Just a thought.

"Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> Been shopping around for a laptop and was curious what type of video
> accelerator works with Thief Series (especially T2FM's).
> I am looking at a laptop now with the following specs:
> Processor - Celeron 1.3Ghz
snip
> Video memory - 128 MB DDR SDRAM
> Video graphics - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
>
> Thanks for any advice!
> Albert

Hi Albert,

I guess just about anything will work as all hardware exceeds the minimum
specs these days.
However I'ld be careful with the integrated Intel graphics, don't know about
their 3d capabilities. Is the video memory shared with system memory?

I'ld definitely go for a dedicated grfx card, even something as old as
nvidia TNT/2 or ATI Rage Fury class will do. You can still buy a cheap
laptop with a relatively outdated gfx card, say three year old specs, and
it's still gonna be miles ahead. Or pick up an oldish laptop second hand.
But get dedicated grfx.

Barnaby

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:26:42 -0400, Bob Fairbank <rhf28@crosslink.net>
wrote:

>There's also the rendition of various shades and depths of black, which
>the heart of the Thief Series.
>I recently replaced my old 17" to a 19" one. The 17" was a CRT. I looked
>at a ton of 19" LCD's. Some
>were quite good but none of them really satisfied the dark atmosphere that
>Thief requires. So I opted for a 19" CRT. Looks great and there are no
>resolution conflicts. Perhaps laptops don't have the "dark atmosphere"
>"problem." Just a thought.

People tend to use laptops all over the place - in the living room,
watching television, while eating dinner, etc. How many laptops are used
in dark, subterranean computer rooms by taffers?
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Barnaby wrote:

> "Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>> Been shopping around for a laptop and was curious what type of video
>>accelerator works with Thief Series (especially T2FM's).
>> I am looking at a laptop now with the following specs:
>>Processor - Celeron 1.3Ghz
>
> snip
>
>>Video memory - 128 MB DDR SDRAM
>>Video graphics - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
>>
>>Thanks for any advice!
>>Albert
>

> Hi Albert,
>
> I guess just about anything will work as all hardware exceeds the minimum
> specs these days.
> However I'ld be careful with the integrated Intel graphics, don't know about
> their 3d capabilities. Is the video memory shared with system memory?
>
> I'ld definitely go for a dedicated grfx card, even something as old as
> nvidia TNT/2 or ATI Rage Fury class will do. You can still buy a cheap
> laptop with a relatively outdated gfx card, say three year old specs, and
> it's still gonna be miles ahead. Or pick up an oldish laptop second hand.
> But get dedicated grfx.
>
> Barnaby

Not sure if the memory is shared or not. I saw this particular machine
in the Yahoo Auctions group. But, might have to check on a "cheap" laptop.
I would like a laptop with a spreadsheet program (ie ExceL) and still
be able to play Thief2 FM's.

> I would like a laptop with a spreadsheet program (ie ExceL) and still
> be able to play Thief2 FM's.
> Albert

That shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried OpenOffice yet? I've got MS
Office 97 lying 'round here but haven't used it in years as OO is so much
better, well and newer and free.

Barnaby

Apparently the person who posted the question "Thief Series on a laptop?" Duh

Barnaby wrote:

> "Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
>

>> I would like a laptop with a spreadsheet program (ie ExceL) and still
>>be able to play Thief2 FM's.
>>Albert
>

> That shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried OpenOffice yet? I've got MS
> Office 97 lying 'round here but haven't used it in years as OO is so much
> better, well and newer and free.
>
> Barnaby

Never tried OpenOffice, but have heard of it. I enjoy MS Office 2003.
Albert