changing user's home directory?

I'm setting up a dual-boot Windows/Linux system, which means I need to put
any shared files on a FAT partition (I'd like to keep the main Windows
partition NTFS for greater security). Since this is, in effect, a single-user
setup (with a separate admin user, again for security), I was hoping I could
simply put the main user's folder on the shared FAT partition.

I see in the Management Console that I can specify a local path for a user's
home folder, so I tried that. However, the setting seems to have no effect:
When I log in as that user, the home directory remains C:\Documents and
Settings\<username>

What am I doing wrong?

"infoMonkey" <infoMonkey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm setting up a dual-boot Windows/Linux system, which means I need to put
>any shared files on a FAT partition (I'd like to keep the main Windows
>partition NTFS for greater security). Since this is, in effect, a single-user
>setup (with a separate admin user, again for security), I was hoping I could
>simply put the main user's folder on the shared FAT partition.
>
>I see in the Management Console that I can specify a local path for a user's
>home folder, so I tried that. However, the setting seems to have no effect:
>When I log in as that user, the home directory remains C:\Documents and
>Settings\<username>
>
>What am I doing wrong?

See "Cannot Move or Rename the Documents and Settings Folder"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=236621).

--
(tm)