Fuji E550 vs Canon a95

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 9, 2004 12:28:52 AM

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Fuji E550 and Canon A95.
Both use AA batteries. 5mp vs 6mp may not be much. Not sure which
one works best in low light The E550 has 4x vs 3x zoom on the A95.

I'm looking for a camera small enough for my wife to throw in her
purse. This is our first digital camera. We also intend to
eventually buy a larger camera (maybe SLR) for those times when we
need better flash, more zoom, better low light optics etc.

For now, we're just looking for something at the lower end.

Any comments between the two?

More about : fuji e550 canon a95

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 12:28:53 AM

David Angelovich wrote:
> I'd probably go the Canon.
> They use better lenses,

Fujinon lenses are legendary.

> and it takes CF cards, which are usually cheaper
> than the XD that the fuji takes.
> Plus the canon has that fold out screen....
>

> "Norm" <u-thrash-it@hotmail.con> wrote in message
> > I'm having a hard time deciding between the Fuji E550 and Canon
A95.
> > Both use AA batteries. 5mp vs 6mp may not be much. Not sure which
> > one works best in low light The E550 has 4x vs 3x zoom on the A95.
> >
> > I'm looking for a camera small enough for my wife to throw in her
> > purse. This is our first digital camera. We also intend to
> > eventually buy a larger camera (maybe SLR) for those times when we
> > need better flash, more zoom, better low light optics etc.
> >
> > For now, we're just looking for something at the lower end.
> >
> > Any comments between the two?
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 12:28:53 AM

The Canon a95 is not small. Be sure to handle it at a store before you
order one online.

If it's your first digital camera I think the a95 would be better for
you than the e550, eventhough the e550 is a better camera.
December 9, 2004 1:00:21 AM

I'd probably go the Canon.
They use better lenses, and it takes CF cards, which are usually cheaper
than the XD that the fuji takes.
Plus the canon has that fold out screen....

"Norm" <u-thrash-it@hotmail.con> wrote in message
> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Fuji E550 and Canon A95.
> Both use AA batteries. 5mp vs 6mp may not be much. Not sure which
> one works best in low light The E550 has 4x vs 3x zoom on the A95.
>
> I'm looking for a camera small enough for my wife to throw in her
> purse. This is our first digital camera. We also intend to
> eventually buy a larger camera (maybe SLR) for those times when we
> need better flash, more zoom, better low light optics etc.
>
> For now, we're just looking for something at the lower end.
>
> Any comments between the two?
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 1:00:22 AM

The Fuji F810 is what you need, smaller than the E550 with same zoom and mps
but some very nice extras.

"David Angelovich" <fake@fake.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
VPKtd.64593$K7.28773@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> I'd probably go the Canon.
> They use better lenses, and it takes CF cards, which are usually cheaper
> than the XD that the fuji takes.
> Plus the canon has that fold out screen....
>

> "Norm" <u-thrash-it@hotmail.con> wrote in message
>> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Fuji E550 and Canon A95.
>> Both use AA batteries. 5mp vs 6mp may not be much. Not sure which
>> one works best in low light The E550 has 4x vs 3x zoom on the A95.
>>
>> I'm looking for a camera small enough for my wife to throw in her
>> purse. This is our first digital camera. We also intend to
>> eventually buy a larger camera (maybe SLR) for those times when we
>> need better flash, more zoom, better low light optics etc.
>>
>> For now, we're just looking for something at the lower end.
>>
>> Any comments between the two?

December 9, 2004 5:07:33 AM

The F810 is a bit more expensive and uses propritary battery. I would
like to be able to use AA's if possible. Thanks for the comment
though.

Anyone else?

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 19:08:27 -0400, "don antoine"
<delannoy@outremer.com> wrote:

>The Fuji F810 is what you need, smaller than the E550 with same zoom and mps
>but some very nice extras.
>
>"David Angelovich" <fake@fake.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>VPKtd.64593$K7.28773@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> I'd probably go the Canon.
>> They use better lenses, and it takes CF cards, which are usually cheaper
>> than the XD that the fuji takes.
>> Plus the canon has that fold out screen....
>>

>> "Norm" <u-thrash-it@hotmail.con> wrote in message
>>> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Fuji E550 and Canon A95.
>>> Both use AA batteries. 5mp vs 6mp may not be much. Not sure which
>>> one works best in low light The E550 has 4x vs 3x zoom on the A95.
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a camera small enough for my wife to throw in her
>>> purse. This is our first digital camera. We also intend to
>>> eventually buy a larger camera (maybe SLR) for those times when we
>>> need better flash, more zoom, better low light optics etc.
>>>
>>> For now, we're just looking for something at the lower end.
>>>
>>> Any comments between the two?

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 10:52:35 AM

But so are the Canon....

There was something dodgy about the fuji digital lenses in the e and s
series... The rep was telling me something about them, but I can't remember
what... I think it was something about fuji not actually making the lenses,
but getting someone else to.... It was a few weeks ago, but something just
stuck in my mind about the fuji digital lenses being not so good....

"Mike Henley" <casioculture@gmail.com> wrote in message

> David Angelovich wrote:
>> I'd probably go the Canon.
>> They use better lenses,
>
> Fujinon lenses are legendary.
>
>> and it takes CF cards, which are usually cheaper
>> than the XD that the fuji takes.
>> Plus the canon has that fold out screen....
>>

>> "Norm" <u-thrash-it@hotmail.con> wrote in message
>> > I'm having a hard time deciding between the Fuji E550 and Canon
> A95.
>> > Both use AA batteries. 5mp vs 6mp may not be much. Not sure which
>> > one works best in low light The E550 has 4x vs 3x zoom on the A95.
>> >
>> > I'm looking for a camera small enough for my wife to throw in her
>> > purse. This is our first digital camera. We also intend to
>> > eventually buy a larger camera (maybe SLR) for those times when we
>> > need better flash, more zoom, better low light optics etc.
>> >
>> > For now, we're just looking for something at the lower end.
>> >
>> > Any comments between the two?

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 5:41:38 PM

David Angelovich wrote:
> But so are the Canon....

I'll dare to say, and without a shadow of a doubt in my own mind, that
fuji lenses are more legendary than the Canons. I had the GA645 medium
format rangefinder and the Silvi f2.8 black. Google around these groups
and you'll see how the veterans highly regard them.

> There was something dodgy about the fuji digital lenses in the e and
> series... The rep was telling me something about them, but I can't
remember
> what... I think it was something about fuji not actually making the
lenses,
> but getting someone else to.... It was a few weeks ago, but something
just
> stuck in my mind about the fuji digital lenses being not so good....

Nevermind the rep, here are the tests. The Fuji E550 has a far better
lens than the Canon A95; no contest. (also has a far better sensor, but
that's another story)

"Despite the slightly wider angle of the E550's zoom lens, barrel
distortion is well controlled at just under 1%. At the telephoto end of
the zoom there is no measurable distortion at all. We also found no
evidence of vignetting."

"A95 - Barrel distortion is - at 2% - fairly average for a camera in
this class, and certainly doesn't mar real world scenic shots.
Surprisingly, there is a tiny (0.1%) amount of measurable barrel
distortion at the telephoto end of the zoom too - though it really
isn't visible in real world shots."

Canon PowerShot A95 Horizontal LPH 1450 *1650
Vertical LPH 1350 *1650
5° Diagonal LPH + 1000 n/a

Fujifilm FinePix E550 Horizontal LPH 1550 + 2000
Vertical LPH 1650 +* 1900
5° Diagonal LPH + 1000 n/a

> "Mike Henley" <casioculture@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > David Angelovich wrote:
> >> I'd probably go the Canon.
> >> They use better lenses,
> >
> > Fujinon lenses are legendary.
> >
> >> and it takes CF cards, which are usually cheaper
> >> than the XD that the fuji takes.
> >> Plus the canon has that fold out screen....
> >>

> >> "Norm" <u-thrash-it@hotmail.con> wrote in message
> > A95.
A95.

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 7:16:26 PM

"Norm" <u-thrash-it@hotmail.con> wrote
> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Fuji E550 and Canon A95.
> Both use AA batteries. 5mp vs 6mp may not be much. Not sure which
> one works best in low light The E550 has 4x vs 3x zoom on the A95.
>
> I'm looking for a camera small enough for my wife to throw in her
> purse. ....
> Any comments between the two?

I am very happy with my Canon A95 - good photos throughout, lots of options
if you can use them to take better pictures. The main distinguishing
feature - the 360 degree (effectively) flippable LCD - is very handy indeed;
you can avoid the sunlight falling on it irrespective of the where the sun
is, and frame better (put the camera up above your head in a crowd or below
your knee) without any discomfort. Good powerful flash.

Because it takes four AA batteries it is a little larger than most similar
digicams. Goes easily in a man's trouser pocket, but not a shirt pocket. The
wife may need to get a bigger purse though ... which they all eventually do
anyway ...

Regards - JW
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 3:15:41 AM

I have the dRebel (so I'm not accused of taking sides).

I have the little, cheap 3MP Finpix A330. Side by side testing, It simply
flogged the Canon 4MP A85. The A330 produces an image slightly superior to
my old Finpix 6800. See this test:
http://home.att.net/~jriegle/megapix.htm
John

!