Sign in with
Your question

Dual Core Different Temps

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 8:24:57 AM

Hello All,

Just wondering if someone can help or has any previous experience of this phenomena?

I own a Pentium E6700 and its got different temperatures in each core. Not a big difference, but core 1 is idling at 43C and core 2 at 36C. I've tried several temperature programs and all say the same.

I've also changed the thermal paste on the heatsink from the pre-applied MX-2 to Thermalright Chill Factor 2, but its still the same. The heatsink is an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro v2, so its nigh on impossible to seat wrongly.

Any ideas?

Or is it normal, with it being core 1 and the most 'used' core?

Cheers

Craig

More about : dual core temps

July 12, 2010 8:41:54 AM

A small difference is normal... but i would call 13 degrees C a big difference.

Have you done razor blade test on CPU and cooler to see if they are flat?

If they are not i would consider lapping them and see if that doesn't even things out a little bit..

remember less is more with paste
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 8:49:58 AM

needsumhelplol said:
A small difference is normal... but i would call 13 degrees C a big difference.

Have you done razor blade test on CPU and cooler to see if they are flat?

If they are not i would consider lapping them and see if that doesn't even things out a little bit..

remember less is more with paste

Its only 7C difference?

Also I only put a thin layer on with a credit card of the paste. It was the same before with the pre-applied MX2 aswell.

I never thought of the cooler not being flat, although I really don't rate this cooler one bit and am thinking of junking it really.
July 12, 2010 9:10:29 AM

icraig said:
Its only 7C difference?

^^ whoops

icraig said:
Also I only put a thin layer on with a credit card of the paste. It was the same before with the pre-applied MX2 aswell.

I never thought of the cooler not being flat, although I really don't rate this cooler one bit and am thinking of junking it really.

While I've never used the AC Freezer Pro Rev.2, there seems to be a lot of good reviews; there's at least as much of a chance that the variations in temp are caused by the CPU itself not being flat, rather than the heatsink base .. (this is assuming you haven't already lapped it)
!