Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$1000 Gaming Build w/OS

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 5, 2010 1:06:49 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-2 months

BUDGET RANGE: $1000 BEFORE Rebates, can't go any higher in my budget. Sorry guys.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Micro Center, Tiger Direct

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: TN, USA, so there is tax in Newegg, unfortunately.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Radeon HD 5850, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, Windows 7 Home Premium OEM

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, but most likely not.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a PC with a lot of cooling in it. I have a MicroCenter about 2 hours away from me btw.

I will not upgrade my video card for a while(3-4 years, and I'm assuming it'll be fine), and I will probably upgrade my CPU the very next year, so the CPU doesn't have to go all out, as it is not as important in a gaming PC. I was thinking of getting a Phenom II 720($100), and just upgrading to a X4 or X6 the next year. Another option of a CPU was the Athlon II X3 440 Rana. I will probably overclock to it's maximum.

The video card: I don't think I'll have to crossfire a 5850. By the time games become so advanced that it needs to be crossfired, i can probably sell it and buy a new single card, instead of buying another $300 card, and a new PSU with 4x6 Pin connectors.

Combo Deals: I take advantage of them, and I will try to get as many as I can, and Newegg just got rid of all the combo deals, but hopefully, in the next month, they will be filled with them again.

Thanks in advance.

More about : 1000 gaming build

May 5, 2010 1:16:42 AM


SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$54.99

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
$149.99

DIAMOND 5850PE51G Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$304.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
$109.99

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX
$159.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
$99.99

COMBO :

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$114.98

Subtotal: $994.92


Someone may be able to recommend a better motherboard. Also, I cant find any motherboard combos for 965's 955's that include at or above a 790 chipset right now for some reason.
May 5, 2010 1:21:10 AM


Replace the CPU and 5850 above with these two below and you get a better video card that will last MUCH longer.


HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity
$424.99

AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor Model ADX440WFGIBOX
$76.99


Subtotal: $1,031.92
Related resources
May 5, 2010 1:23:40 AM

antisyzygy said:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$54.99

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
$149.99

DIAMOND 5850PE51G Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$304.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
$109.99

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX
$159.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
$99.99

COMBO :

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$114.98

Subtotal: $994.92


Someone may be able to recommend a better motherboard. Also, I cant find any motherboard combos for 965's 955's that include at or above a 790 chipset right now for some reason.


Hmm, I really like that build. Very good. If i get that, then there's no need for me to upgrade my CPU :D . Is it possible you could somehow play with it so I can fit a Hyper 212+, and a DVD drive? As for the mobo, I don't think I need all that. If I were to get this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Then I can fit a Hyper 212+ and a DVD drive. There isn't too much of a difference except there is only 1 PCIe slot, which I'm fine with if I'm getting a 5850, as theres no need to crossfire.
May 5, 2010 1:26:39 AM

I don't think I need a 5870, as I've heard that the 5850 overclocks past a stock 5870, and that's already fine with me.

Best solution

May 5, 2010 1:31:19 AM
Share

Yadumadoda said:
Hmm, I really like that build. Very good. If i get that, then there's no need for me to upgrade my CPU :D . Is it possible you could somehow play with it so I can fit a Hyper 212+, and a DVD drive? As for the mobo, I don't think I need all that. If I were to get this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Then I can fit a Hyper 212+ and a DVD drive. There isn't too much of a difference except there is only 1 PCIe slot, which I'm fine with if I'm getting a 5850, as theres no need to crossfire.


Oddly enough there is a combo for a 955 and that Motherboard you suggested. Make sure its the C3 stepping 955 (im pretty sure it is)

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
$24.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$54.99

DIAMOND 5850PE51G Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$304.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
$109.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
$99.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler
$29.99


COMBO :

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$114.98


COMBO :

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX
GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
$238.98

Subtotal: $978.90

Apparently you can get a 955 BE w/ C3 stepping up to 3.8 ghz with that Heatsink.
May 5, 2010 1:41:07 AM

That looks fantastic! Thanks a lot. I'll probably also buy a second fan for the heatsink, so it'll be even cooler. Also, the prices might be a little bit cheaper because i'm going to buy a few things from TigerDirect(NO TAX :D ) and Microcenter(buying at store, cheaper tax), such as the Hyper 212+, only $20.

So I'll keep this thread bookmarked, and hopefully prices will go down. Thanks a lot.
May 5, 2010 1:41:28 AM

Best answer selected by yadumadoda.
May 5, 2010 1:53:45 AM

Yadumadoda said:
That looks fantastic! Thanks a lot. I'll probably also buy a second fan for the heatsink, so it'll be even cooler. Also, the prices might be a little bit cheaper because i'm going to buy a few things from TigerDirect(NO TAX :D ) and Microcenter(buying at store, cheaper tax), such as the Hyper 212+, only $20.

So I'll keep this thread bookmarked, and hopefully prices will go down. Thanks a lot.


No problem dude. Thats very similar to my build. I got all my parts at Microcenter.
!