Why can't I find the RIGHT resolution?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Computer
  • Resolution
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2010 4:57:31 AM

I have an Acer Aspire AX1302-U1302 running Windows 7 with integrated Nvidia GeForce 9200 graphics and a Samsung 23" 720p HDTV that I use via an HDMI cable as my monitor. I just bought this computer recently and have had the TV for some time as it was being used as the monitor for my last computer using a VGA cable (which was running XP with a 1.7ghz processor, integrated Intel chipset and 1gb of RAM). It worked fine with that computer but for some reason on this computer I'm having trouble finding the right resolution. On my old computer the resolution was set to 1024x768 and it seemed just right, on this PC the Nvidia control panel says the native resolution is 1029x1080 in 1080i but when I select that resolution it is obviously far too large, so then I tried the recommended resolution of 1280x720 in 720p.. Same result, not near as big, but now every pixel on the screen seems to be vibrating.. So eventually I just said screw it and scaled the desktop down to fit correctly ending up with a resolution of 1200x670 in 720p but when I play a game I find that setting the in-game resolution to 1280x720 looks the best but I still get a small amount of screen cut-off on the sides. What am I doing wrong? Does using an HDMI cable instead of a VGA cable screw with the resolution? Is this a Windows 7 issue? Do 23" screens just have funny resolutions?

More about : find resolution

April 7, 2010 8:11:36 AM

Have you tried 1366x768 or 1360x768, whichever is available? That's a very common native resolution for 720p televisions.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 7, 2010 3:40:53 PM

I am not sure about LCD TV's, but any standard monitor there is a driver you need to install.

Well, let me clarify.

It is not really a driver, but the disk that comes with most any monitor puts a small .inf on your computer, that basically tells your OS, and your Video Card, exactly what the monitor is, and what it's native resolution is, and what modes it will support. If your monitor did not come with it, usually you can download the file from your monitor manufactures web site. Windows has plug and play support built in for most makes and models of monitors, but you never know with all the new variety of monitors and HDTV's that are coming out all the time, you may have a model that Windows or your GPU's display drivers simply does not recognize.

A quick way to tell if your computer "knows" what the monitor is to look in the display properties and see if the exact model and make of your monitor is listed under the monitor tab. If it is not, if it says something like "generic or unknown monitor" or "standard monitor types" with "unknown" as the manufacturer, then you are in need of installing the .inf file for your particular display.
m
l
!