Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD 4890 Saphire Vapor X AND Battlefield BC2!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2010 5:55:25 AM

Hi guys! So, my PC specs are listed in my signature. Well, I have been playing Battlefield: Bad company 2, and when I do this, I noticed my 4890 gfx card gets pretty hot. I have my PC on the floor under my desk, and I can feel the heat coming from it on my leg. I was wondering how I could counter this, hoping you (the experts) could help me out. I thought about buying a better case with better airflow, although not sure that would fix the problem. I just don't want anything to overheat and fry.

When I opened the case, I felt the heat coming from the GFX card and not really from the processor. My case has 3 fans. Is it logical to somehow use my ATI catalyst control panel (control software for 4890 card) to increase the fan speed?

ANY HELP is so greatly appreciated, thanks guys for hearing me out.
April 7, 2010 6:09:14 AM

You can find you gpu temps using this
http://download.cnet.com/GPU-Z/3000-2094_4-10788513.htm...
video cards usually run pretty hot, hotter then the cpu at least so you can run battlefield 2 for with gpu-z in the background, then exit out of battlefield or just change it from fullscreen, and look at the temps.

Yes you can change the fan speed manually in ATI catalyst
April 7, 2010 6:27:16 AM

Anything below 90c while gaming is fine.
Related resources
April 7, 2010 6:52:30 AM

AWESOME. THANK YOU BOTH :) 

Johnny, I downloaded the GPU prog and ran the sensors, idle Iwas at GPU 68°C and in game Battlefield BC2 I was 85°C max.

If this is fine then, then I am happy. If you guys think I should get a new case, (I have a raidmax hurricane ATM) or get more case fans, or turn up the 4890 fan speed %, Let me know.

BUT, THANKS SO much for your help :) 
April 7, 2010 7:09:59 AM

Well, Idle temps seems to be a bit too high to me .

What are the fan speeds like?

Just make case 1 fan to blow on the GPU heat sink.That might help bringing the temps down.

Set GPU fan speed 40% at idle and 80-100% while gaming.
April 7, 2010 7:20:49 AM

Turning up the fan speed definitely wouldn't hurt and may actually help with the card's temps. I'd be a little concerned about other components, though. Sometimes high video card idle temps are a result of high internal case temps, which means the entire case isn't "breathing" well enough.

You can also try removing the side panel to see if it helps. If it does, then the case's internal airflow is insufficient. Replacing the Hurricane's front 80mm fan with a higher CFM 120mm or 140mm fan would be a good start.

Have you bothered to check temps of other components, like the CPU, Northbridge, hard drive, or even the PSU? Everest is a good program to use for monitoring those. Unlike the popular HW Monitor, it actually identifies the sensors instead of calling them TMPIN0, TMPIN1, etc.
April 7, 2010 6:36:53 PM

I'm downloading Everest right now.

I think I made an error, My gpu running windows (no games etc...) after no use over night, is 60 C. The 68 came from right after I shut down an application (Battlefield BC2) and it was still hot.

Is it possible to replace smaller case fans (80mm) with bigger case fans (120mm) without having to manually cut or modify the case etc....?
April 7, 2010 6:53:35 PM

It depends- I've not used that case so I don't know for sure, but it looks like at least the front intake fan can be upgraded to a 120 mm fan without mods. The side fan looks like you'd need to do some modding to increase the size.
Really, you're temps are probably OK though- especially with the 60C idle instead of 68. The 4890 is a pretty warm card to begin with. More airflow will probably help though.
April 7, 2010 7:57:06 PM

xxenergyxx said:

Is it possible to replace smaller case fans (80mm) with bigger case fans (120mm) without having to manually cut or modify the case etc....?

That depends on your case.

The screw holes have a fixed distance between them so not every size fan will fit.

April 7, 2010 11:15:05 PM

Reading on Raidmax's website it says the front fan is 120mm. In every picture I can find of it, that fan looks like it's 80mm because there's a solid 1-inch border all the way around it and pre-drilled holes for a much larger fan.

Look at the 5th pic here:
http://www.raidmax.com/product/gallery_hurricane.html

Simple solution would be to measure it. 120mm fans have about a 4-1/2 inch diameter.

The problem with a lot of case designs now is there's not enough intake airflow. There's always an exhaust fan or two, but PSU's also exhaust air, and a lot of video cards do too. When you have 3 or 4 exhaust ports and only 1 or 2 intakes, it creates a serious imbalance causing everything inside the case to fight for fresh air. More intake pressure is what's needed.

With more intake pressure, exhaust fans don't have to work so hard and don't struggle against each other. The system also becomes less likely to draw air in through tiny cracks or empty 5-1/4" drive bays, and instead will actually leak through such places rather than pull air in. This is good because perforated and honeycomb fan inlets offer at least minimal dust protection, and dust on finned coolers is bad. If the system is already struggling for air, dust builds up in the tiny cracks it was once getting supplemental air through very quickly, causing a choking effect.
April 8, 2010 5:09:32 PM

I believe the intake is capable of the 120mm, but it only ships with an 80- thats what the newegg spec says it ships with anyway.
April 8, 2010 5:20:46 PM

Interesting- I've never seen a fan like that before. Doesn't really solve the issue of possibly not having enough intake airflow though.
April 8, 2010 9:46:26 PM

SpotCool will really only help move air in places that are struggling to get circulation, or dead spots, like the bottom corner or between two tightly fit SLI/CrossFire cards. If the air inside is heating up because there simply isn't enough fresh air getting into the case in the first place, then all it's going to do is blow hot air around.

If it were my system and I wanted to retain the LED look, I'd go with one of these. It's quiet and has solid airflow.
Cooler Master R4-L2R (blue)

If willing to sacrifice the LEDs and relative quietness for significantly more airflow, one of these will do nicely.
Scythe "Slipstream"

If you don't give a crap about noise and are only concerned about airflow, Delta offers some sick 150cfm+ 120mm fans like this one.
Delta 190cfm 60db
60 decibels is a lot for a fan... typical PC fans are in the 20-30db range. You would be able to hear this fan in the next room.

There are also variable-speed fans available, which you could tune to try and find a balance for your case.
!