Sign in with
Your question

GA-EP35-DS3R - Accidentally Ordered 8GB DDR3

Last response: in Memory
January 19, 2011 3:51:30 AM

Hello All,
I recently purchased a set of 4GB DDR3 modules off of New Egg on sale (Item#: N82E16820231311). The motherboard that these modules would go into is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R. This motherboard has 4 DDR2 slots and 2 DDR3 slots. It currently has only (2) 1GB sticks installed in the DDR3 slots. I was looking at the Gigabyte website, and it claims the motherboard supports 8GB DDR2 and 4GB DDR3. Does anyone know what I can expect with my two new 4GB DDR3 memory modules installed? I can think of a few senarios.

1. Doesnt work at all.
2. Works but only shows 4GB installed.
3. Only works with one 4GB stick installed with no dual channel.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with installing more than the supported amount of memory?
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 5:20:55 AM

Wow! That's a weird setup. I have no idea what will happen, but I'd like to find out. Please post your results. I imagine your BIOS settings will make a difference.
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 6:16:01 PM

I've run over the limit on several boards in my time, and have had mixed results. Some systems simply don't post, some post but with a reduced amount of RAM available, and some post and boot just fine and show all of the RAM. I don't see anything being damaged, but your results may vary. Kinda odd that a DDR3 system would be limited to 4gb RAM, but then again, the boards that support multiple standards (like DDR2+DDR3, DDR+DDR2, or the old AGP+PCIe) have quirky specs and requirements sometimes.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 8:43:41 PM

Oh, I misunderstood your first sentence. You bought 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3. Chances are it will post with 8GB. I was thinking you were gonna mix DDR2 with DDR3. I've ran over the limit on a couple boards and I don't usually have an issue. The great thing about extra DDR3 is that you can reuse it on your next build (if it's in the next three years).
January 20, 2011 12:43:17 PM

Well hopfully I see 8GB when I boot it up. Looks like it will be here tommorow, I'll let you guys know what I find out. Maybe if it doesnt work I'll be "forced" to buy a new 2600k and mobo so that I can use the memory.
January 21, 2011 10:02:43 PM

Well, memory showed up today, I popped it in, and it booted right up showing 8GB in Win7. Im running the 32 version right now so only 3.5 is usable...looks like I have to grab the 64 bit eddition from school and do a fresh install, which is good cuz I want to do the firmware update on my OCZ summit. On a side not, the wireless doesnt work on that computer now. It seems that the netgear card I have in there isnt compatible with a system running windows 7 and more the 4GB or ram, according to there website, so ill have to swap it with another computer's wireless card. All in all worked out good!
October 6, 2011 3:55:32 AM

I just upgraded my memory to 8G (G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333MHz DIMM PC3-10666 Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X578GE).

There is no problem to boot system. But I observed that my system became very slow and cpu usage was always more than 96%.

Any possible solution?

Thanks
Gepo
October 13, 2011 3:28:14 AM

If you havn't already.....Do an Alt-Ctl-Del and start the task manager. Click the 'Processes' tab and then in the lower left hand corner of the window, make sure the check box labled "Show processes from all users" is checked. You can then sort by processor usage by clicking the column labled 'CPU' and see which process is using most of your CPU resource. You can also see how much total CPU time a process has been eating up by going to the 'View' menu and clicking "Select Columns". Once in this menu, check the "CPU Time" checkbox and then click 'OK'. After doing this, click the "CPU Time" column to sort by the process which has been using the most CPU time on your system. If the process seems suspicious I would do more research. Sometimes it could be a virus, other times it could be an crappy preinstalled anti-virus(or other useless software)... Just the other day i was having the same issue with mine and it turned out that i had to reinstall my network access control software(which i use to log on school network). It was pegged at 100% cpu usuage. A quick un-install/re-install corrected the issue. Hope you have similar success...Good luck!
October 13, 2011 3:53:20 PM

It is actually caused by an older version of BIOS. After I upgraded it to the latest version, everything functions correctly now.

Thanks.

happybenguy said:
If you havn't already.....Do an Alt-Ctl-Del and start the task manager. Click the 'Processes' tab and then in the lower left hand corner of the window, make sure the check box labled "Show processes from all users" is checked. You can then sort by processor usage by clicking the column labled 'CPU' and see which process is using most of your CPU resource. You can also see how much total CPU time a process has been eating up by going to the 'View' menu and clicking "Select Columns". Once in this menu, check the "CPU Time" checkbox and then click 'OK'. After doing this, click the "CPU Time" column to sort by the process which has been using the most CPU time on your system. If the process seems suspicious I would do more research. Sometimes it could be a virus, other times it could be an crappy preinstalled anti-virus(or other useless software)... Just the other day i was having the same issue with mine and it turned out that i had to reinstall my network access control software(which i use to log on school network). It was pegged at 100% cpu usuage. A quick un-install/re-install corrected the issue. Hope you have similar success...Good luck!

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 11:01:15 AM

I know this is a rather late post, however for anyone wondering if 8GB of DDR3 on the older motherboards, then I would also like to confirm that it does work without an issue on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R). I ordered 2 x 4GB Kingston DDR3 1600. Also in Windows 7 while playing Battlefield 3 it makes a massive difference! The page file is hardly being used now which has had an overall impact to improving the game and the framerate.
!