Screen goes Black during Streaming Media Activity

rink

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
So I bought my comp from Ibuypower a month and a half ago I received it with it giving me random Black Screens whenever I'd watch Youtube vids or listen to music (the simple stuff) but when it came to gaming I had no problems what so ever so I sent it in to their RMA to fix it week and a half later I receive it yesterday all seems well until late at night I have 4 tabs of youtube videos open (only one was playing others were paused) I got a black screen still able to hear audio and fans in my comp speed up specifically my graphics card fan. Today I decide to look up a video while I was playing cod4. I alt tabbed opened youtube 4th or 5th video I opened I got a black screen saying no signal with fan going fast and still able to hear sounds from cod4. My PC can be running nearly the hole day without any problems. Most of the time I can watch videos/listen to music but when it happens that's all I am doing But ever since I got it back from RMA its been happening a lot less frequently (before it was 5-8 times a day)

So I need some help here I'm suspecting its either Graphics Card or Screen

Screen: Acer AL2216Wbd 22" LCD Monitor (has a sticker on the stand that says certified with Windows Vista maybe it is screen considering I have Windows 7?)

Specs:Netbook / Notebook Bundle(None)
Case(NZXT Lexa-S Mid Tower Gaming Case - Black w/ Blue Light)
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction(None)
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion(None)
Case Lighting(None)
Processor(Intel® Core™ i7 920 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache))
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive(None)
Processor Cooling([Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [SOCKET-1366])
Memory(6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand ** Free Upgrade to DDR3-1600 **)
Video Card(ATI Radeon HD 5850 - 1GB - Single Card)
Video Card Brand(Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA)
Motherboard([SLI] Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R w/ 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16)
Motherboard Add-on(None)
Power Supply(850 Watt -- Thermaltake TR2 W0319RU Power Supply - SLI Ready)
Primary Hard Drive(1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive)
Data Hard Drive(None)
Optical Drive(24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)
2nd Optical Drive(None)
Flash Media Reader/Writer(12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black)
Meter Display(None)
Floppy Drive(None)
Sound Card(3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard)
Network Card(Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100))
Operating System(Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) - 64-Bit)
Keyboard(iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black)
Mouse(iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse - Black)
Monitor(None)
2nd Monitor(None)
Speaker System(iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System)
External Hard Drives [USB 3.0/2.0/eSATA](None)
USB Flash Drive(None)
Power Protection(None)
Headset(None)
MP3/MP4 Player(None)
Video Camera(None)
Warranty(Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support)
Rush Service(Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days)
Advanced Build Options(Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis)
Advanced Build Options(iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation!)
Advanced Build Options(Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks)

All help is appreciated I just want to get this fixed really frustrated and want to get this over with

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I'm interested to see how that works out. I have the occasional issue with Flash videos freezing when I go to view them full-screen on my system. They work fine when I press "Esc" key to minimize, though. The PC doesn't freeze, just the display stops, like hitting pause or "Freeze" with Picture-In-Picture. I also use Firefox and have an ATI 4890 card.

rink

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Nope it did it again this time I was live streaming with Xfire and in MW2 lobby I go to the bathroom and come back the screen is black and fan is going fast once again but still able to hear the game music and buddys on skype but they cant hear me. I have been live streaming all morning and a bit of the afternoon and had no problems.

I'm so lost...

Extole

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I have the exact same issue, Rink. My video card fan will spin up to 100 percent also sounding like a jet engine a minute or so after the video signal to the screen has been lost and only thing i can do from here is a hard shutdown. I have replaced my PSU three times and the funny thing is when i replace my PSU the computer runs fine for about a month and then starts acting up again which boggles my mind cause i can either be really unlucky with PSU's or its something else. I ran into this lock up last night while playing a video game and decided that i would upgrade my driver to 10.3 ati catalyst from 10.2 which caused me to lock up a second after i boot up into the desktop. I did a system restore in safe mode to a date prior to installing the new driver and now it seems to be working fine in the desktop but when i try playing a game i get the lock up again. I can't figure out if this is either driver or hardware related to the video card (ati 5970) or even if it is a graphics card issue at all. As far as i can tell the only similar specs you have to my build is the graphics card brand (ati) and OS. I hope what i mentioned in this post will shed some light and if you do find a solution to this issue please please let us know as will I if i come across anything.

system specs
CPU: i7 920
MOBO: asus p6x58d
PSU: corsair 850hx
GPU: ATI 5970
ram: mushkin 6 gig redlines

Extole

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
hey rink do you have a spare psu laying around somewhere or one that you can barrow to test it out? I'm thinking it could be something related to the power cause like i said it would fix it for me for a month or two then start happening again.. oh and do you have the latest bios update?

rink

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Ive got some good news it hasn't done it in the past 2 days the problem ended up being windows 7 alright here's what i did step by step

Control panel - "review your computers status" under system and security - view system info - adjust power settings - hit balanced if not already checked then change plan settings on the right of it - i set the computer to sleep at 5 hours as well as display - change advanced settings (now here's where the problem occurred while all the other things such as hibernate sleep and such are at 5 hours + take a look at hard disk) - click on hard disk then turn off hard disk

........mine was originally set to 20 mins -.-..so if i didn't use anything in the hard drive within 20 mins i was locked out of my comp so that was the reason why when ever watching videos or listening to music/afking would make the screen go black so i set mine to 600 mins and it never did it again

did all this without a dam IT or some tech guy telling me this so I felt good afterwards haha.

Hope this helps u =D