Replacing failed drive in RAID 1 array

snafu7x7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I had a drive fail in my RAID 1 configuration, the failure was on the primary OS partition (Windows 7). I sought to replace the failed drive with an identical drive so I searched the internet by the part number and while I found several hits, they were all discontinued and no longer being sold since the model is about 4 yrs old now. The model is as follows:

SEAGATE BARACUDA
1TB 7200RPM 32MB BUFFER
SERIAL ATA II/300, 3.5INCH
SEAGATE PIPELINE HD SERIES

If I want to replace this drive with a newer model what things do I need to be most concerned with matching in these specs to ensure that my RAID array will be able to be restored perfectly and function as it did previously? I've already pulled my data off the good drive in the array to a secondary location for safekeeping

Much thanks for any tips, I've never actually done this myself so its a new experience for me and I want to make sure I get it right and everything goes smoothly.

snafu7x7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
you didn't answer the question at all...there is no option to have identical drives because there is no way to purchase an exact replacement. What I am asking is what aspects of a drive are most important if you need to replace it in a RAID array with a non exact replacement? What matters the most? model? manufacturer? rpm speed? size? cache?

Manufacturer and model should matter 1st. You want a drive that is reliable and that will work well beyond its warranty period and won't die on you any time soon.

Next is size. RAID-1 drives should be equal sizes for maximum storage efficiency (50%).

Speed and cache should at least be equal to your Seagate Pipeline. A RAID array's performance is based upon the drive with the slowest Read/Write speeds, so it won't matter how fast your new drive is, as long as it is not slower than your Pipeline.

snafu7x7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

Excellent Dereck, thanks for the specifics on this, I'll take your suggestions to heart and try to find the best solution