Sign in with
Your question

PCI Express Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 7, 2010 10:32:12 AM

Im looking for a new graphics card, ive got an ASUS P5L-MX motherboard, 2gb DDR2 ram, Core 2 Duo processor. Im running XP as i prefer it to Vista and cant afford to upgrade my motherboard and processor to run windows 7, Ive got about £100 to spend and id prefer a geforce card, i was looking at maybe an 8 series?

Any advice, ideas or suggestions would be great, cheers!

More about : pci express card

April 7, 2010 10:48:51 AM

First off, if u plan on gaming spend all ur 100 euros on a 9800GT, 9800 GTX or a GTS 250 but also please post ur processor and its 2.00 ghz bcoz ur processor might also be inadequate in gaming(no offense) and I can give u advice

But if u do not plan on gaming then get a cheaper video card like 8500 GT, 9400 GT, 8600 GT/GTS, GT 240, GT 220 and/or 9500 GT; those last 3 options can be decent for gaming especially if ur processor is good. :D  hope I helped!
Related resources
April 7, 2010 3:09:24 PM

You got core2duo now changing your mobo and processor will again cost . looks like we are on same boat (i am saving in rs actually ) lol .
Now days games not only demands better gpu but also good cpu power is recommended , one ex i can give battlefield badcompany 2 . In such a case why not go for ati 4850 i know your looking for 8 series but ati 4850 will be slightly better .
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 7, 2010 3:28:02 PM

Quote:
Im looking for a new graphics card, ive got an ASUS P5L-MX motherboard, 2gb DDR2 ram, Core 2 Duo processor. Im running XP as i prefer it to Vista and cant afford to upgrade my motherboard and processor to run windows 7, Ive got about £100 to spend and id prefer a geforce card, i was looking at maybe an 8 series?

Any advice, ideas or suggestions would be great, cheers!

Tell us a little more about your system please, how old is it and what was your last Graphics card ? What speed is your CPU. What size=Wattage is your Power supply and what size resolution is your monitor.

You dont need to upgrade to rum W7 it will run fine on what you have, i have a XP machine with a C2D and 2gb ram which was running the RC (free to try version) of W7 and it was great games played on it really well, Crysis warhead played better on teh W7 install than it did on the XP install ( I was running 2 differant Harddrives on the one machine).

From what i know of your speck already and what im guessing i would thing an ATI card would be a better match for your Rig but let us know the detail above and we can give better advice based on what you want, geforce right. :) 

Mactronix
April 7, 2010 4:04:33 PM

Its good if you go for ati hd4850 .within £100 you should be able to get it . another thing is this core2duo processors are old nowdays in such case spending more on gpu wont be a smart thing . as i said nowdays games not only require better gpu same time even cpu is important .(changing cpu and mobo is like changing everthing)

Best move will be not to think about directx11 compatible cards right now . leave all that to time when you have something like !7 .

if you got question dont mind asking anyway advice is free in india.lol

!