Sign in with
Your question

Athlon II X4 630 or Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 12, 2010 3:57:52 PM

I'm contemplating a new build for home. I already have a gaming PC, so this box would replace my current non gamer. This would be the PC I use to dl "stuff" ;)  , surf the net, email, watch some video on, set up my Ipod with, burn discs, etc. I have two PC's cuz I keep my gaming PC, strictly for games. Anyhow, the local Microcenter is having it's free Mobo with AMD CPU purchase sale. Which of these two CPU's do you think is the better buy?

AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - $95.99

with free:
Biostar
A780L Socket AM2_/AM3 760G mATX Motherboard

or

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision - $99.99

with free:
Biostar
A780L Socket AM2_/AM3 760G mATX Motherboard

Link to Promo:

http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/0706_AMD...

So one is a duo core, the other is a quad. I've read that you can unlock the cores on the 630 to make it a quad, but I've never tried it, so I'm deciding under the notion that I won't be trying to. Any thoughts on which is the better deal? With my experiences playing BFBC2, and it's need for a quad core, I'm leaning toward the 630. I know I won't be gaming on it, but I'm figuring a quad is safer moving forward. What say you all?

Thanks in advance.
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 4:30:40 PM

You'd definitely be better off with the X4 even if you aren't gaming. The four cores will blitz anything you will be doing on your system and will help dramatically in multi-tasking and encoding tasks etc. Anything CPU intensive the X4 will win. I don't game on my PC but I opted for the X4 630 and it's an amazing chip at it's price. Just as an indicator it converts a ~2GB MPEG-2 video file to DVD format in about 10-15mins whereas my old P4 3GHz system took over an hour ;)  You won't be disappointed!
m
l
July 12, 2010 4:49:32 PM

I've been reading some forums about both, and I think the 630 is a better fit for me too. I just built a PC for the office here, actually the one I'm on now, about 2 months ago through this same Microcenter deal. I bought the Regor 250 to replace an old Pentium 4 single core, and all I can say is "oh my" at the difference. Anyhow, the x4 630 it is. Thanks for replying.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 4:52:59 PM

its been said time and time again. buy the cpu you want and don't bank on being able to unlock cores.

the athlon x4 wins unless the cores are unlockable so unless you feel like gambling then i'd say go for the real quad
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
July 12, 2010 4:53:27 PM

Both CPU are very solid the difference is the L3 cache.

The problem that I see here is that the mobo is AM2+ and DDR2 that can limit the performance of the CPU.
m
l
July 12, 2010 7:18:29 PM

Well, I ordered the Athlon x4 630 combo for instore pick up. Thanks for your help guys. With tax, it was about $95 for the CPU + Mobo. The same CPU and Mobo would be $160 plus shipping at Newegg, so not bad at all.
m
l
July 12, 2010 11:50:25 PM

I know it is in a different league, but how would the AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz compare to these two?

How is power consumption between the 3?
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
July 13, 2010 12:41:01 AM

pvcrisp said:
I know it is in a different league, but how would the AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz compare to these two?

How is power consumption between the 3?

Start your own thread. It is considered rude to hijack someone else's thread. Even if their issue has been solved, we don't want single threads on this forum with 20 different people's questions. Sorry to be so blunt. If I see a new thread by you with this question, I will answer it though.
m
l
!