Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing OCZ Agility 2 120gb SSD on MSI 790FX-GD70

Last response: in Motherboards
January 19, 2011 1:52:23 PM

So I just installed my new 120 GB OCZ Agility 2 SSD in my pc to my MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard. I plugged that drive into SATA port 1 and my other 250 GB mechanical drive in SATA port 3. I'm an amateur at best when it comes to building PC's so I want to make sure I did this right. I've got my bios set to AHCI. I've read about these needing to be plugged into the sata ports on the south bridge, but I'm not really sure if that includes ports 1 and 3. Also I'm getting a message right after my BIOS posts that I wasn't before. It's saying something about J-Micron and "no drives are found". That is what was making me think maybe I had them plugged into the wrong ports. The drives is working fine and is *fast* although I haven't benched it, yet. I am going to use AS SSD Benchmark unless somebody knows of a better program. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for the amateur nature of my explanation.
January 22, 2011 12:46:37 PM

I benched it w/ AS SSD and my writes were okay (190 mb/s) but my reads were much lower than advertised (100 mb/s.) I'm away from my home PC right now. When I get there I'll post the screen shot of the benchmark. I know its advertised to read and write around 250 mb/s and I wasn't expecting those exact numbers, but mine seem pretty low. Anybody have some insight into this?
m
l
Related resources
a c 1111 V Motherboard
January 22, 2011 1:14:16 PM

Sata ports 1-6 are on the southbridge. 7 and 8 are on the J-micron controller, you can disable that in bios if you are not using it.
m
l
January 28, 2011 11:46:43 PM

thanks, I'll be doing that.
m
l
February 7, 2011 4:45:31 PM

In the Bios under I/O devices - you must have the sata hardware controller set to RAID. If your not setting up an array with the ssd and your spinner (not sure y you would) you want to have that set to anything but RAID. That's why your board is looking for drivers upon post. Give that a try and let me know how it goes. I'm curious as to how this wil bench out as well. I 'm looking at getting one.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2011 7:44:23 PM

codyw9524 said:
So I just installed my new 120 GB OCZ Agility 2 SSD in my pc to my MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard. I plugged that drive into SATA port 1 and my other 250 GB mechanical drive in SATA port 3. I'm an amateur at best when it comes to building PC's so I want to make sure I did this right. I've got my bios set to AHCI. I've read about these needing to be plugged into the sata ports on the south bridge, but I'm not really sure if that includes ports 1 and 3. Also I'm getting a message right after my BIOS posts that I wasn't before. It's saying something about J-Micron and "no drives are found". That is what was making me think maybe I had them plugged into the wrong ports. The drives is working fine and is *fast* although I haven't benched it, yet. I am going to use AS SSD Benchmark unless somebody knows of a better program. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for the amateur nature of my explanation.

The message you get after post is for the second SATA controller and should be disabled in the BIOS unless you are actually going to use it. I have read that right after install, you should run the Microsoft Experience Index (also referred to as the speed test....find it under windows system) which then gets windows to setup properly for the SSD. I did this and got a 7.7 hard drive score with my OCZ SSD. Further, I installed "Crystal Disk Info" program (free on the web) and it showed that TRIM was working and that the SSD was 100%. As for benching it, OCZ suggests using ATTO: http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?sku=Disk_B... Mine scored 275 read and 255 write which is what I was expecting...it is darn fast!!!! The tough part of setting up an SSD for boot only is getting the User files onto an HDD. Every system for doing so failed for me and I ended up leaving it on the SSD after several attempts. Mine is a 120Gb so there is enough room but I'd rather have that 45GB of data elsewhere. :fou: 

Good luck with your new toy...they are nice to have...should be mandatory requirement for any system...and if any complains about the cost, then they can't afford a computer. :o 
February 15, 2011 3:27:57 PM

Best answer selected by codyw9524.
m
l
!