MSI 890FXA-GD70 Phenom x6 system ... not posting?

bdk3

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Never had any issues building a machine before, but I haven't done it in a little while either.

MSI 890FXA-GD70 mobo
new phenom x6
cooler master centurion case
corsair tx850w oiwer syooky
2 x crucial dd3 2 GB (4 GB total)
HD and CD-Rom drive (both seem to be working fine)
Videocard - sapphire radeon hd-5770 (have a second to try crossfire, but right now just trying ot get the one to work).

Weird thing, processor seems to be running fine, mobo, too, but nothing is displaying. debug led is going to 'd1' but nothing will display. Tested monitors and plugged my old video card into the new system and still nothing (old is 4850, worked before and after putting in new system in my old system, no problem) -- I am just not getting any kind of display, although it sounds like the processor and all parts are going at it and all the processor led lights are on.

I'm getting a 'd1' debug message, but it's not listed in the index anywhere I can find. Anyone run into anything like this or have any ideas?

bdk3

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
All fans are spinning - processor, video card, case fan, etc. It's passing the initialization mode (ff on the debug lights) and I can operate the cd-rom, hear the HD spin, etc. I've been through most of the walkthrough stuff - as I mentioned, I've built several systems before, it's just been a little while. I can do a thorough double check later tonight when I get back from work again though to satisfy doubters.

I was hoping someone might know what the debug code 'd1' on the mobo led would be. Unfortunately the manual does not include this code and MSI's website for support is... well, unless someone knows about some secret one I don't have a link to, pretty awful.

I've definitely tried everything in the main sticky. I have not gone thoroughly through all posted links yet, though.

bdk3

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Well, update. This time when trying to boot I switched out each of the memory modules as the single memory module and it worked on my third try. Bleh, sorry if this is clogging the forums on that basic issue, but I had tried the single memory module thing before. Going to cycle back through and see if some are bad. Memory is:

crucial ct25664ba 1339.M16FF 2GB 240-PIN DIMM 256Mx64 DDR3 if anyone knows of compatibility issues or other noob mistakes that might need to be involved (I've never had to do anything sophisticated for RAM config in BIOS before).

Before someone asks, yes, I have checked my mobo papers to make sure I'm placing the RAM in the right slots.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Absuhrutery!

You must go into the bios mem timing section ... enter the exact timings which came with your ram docs ........ **SAVE** those settings before "elegantly" exiting BIOS and then reboot ... You may also wish to up your voltage by a few hundredths of a volt.

= Chk OC FORUM =

bdk3

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Just an update on this - I disassembled and reassembled everything and sure enough, like a clutz, I had motherboard contact with an unecessary mount. Doh. I removed the extra mount, reseated the mobo, carefully replaced everything, and now it's all good to go. Well, with 64-bit xp at least. Unfortunately Linux Mint hoses after enabling the proprietary ATI video card drivers and Ubuntu 10.04 boots into kernel panic, but the win partition is good to go for now. I'll trouble shoot the linux issues and get them in place later.

bdk3

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
So yeah, in summary for people of the tl;dr tendency, I cluttered the forum unnecessarily because the solution was in the stickies, even though I initially read them and thought it wasn't.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
AND ... WHAT A MAN ... for admitting the somewhat embarasing truth ...

... So many folks just do not really believe that checklist truly applies to THEM !

... Truthful reports are VERY important to this forum ... your service is appreciated.

= Al =

Rocket254

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I'm having the same issue. New Build

1090T X6
Sapphire 5850
4GB Crucial Ballistix
MSI 890FXA-GD70

On power up, the cpu debugger alternates between FF and D1 5 or 6 times before finally stopping on D1.

No signal to the monitor, HDDs and GPU fans are all spinning.

I just took the board out of the case and trying to boot separately. I'm still getting D1 errors.

Is it too early to start thinking this board is faulty? It is throwing this error even with no memory modules installed.

Rocket254

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I found a description of the error. Any ideas?

D1 --> Early super I/O initialization is done including RTC and keyboard controller.
Serial port is enabled at this point if needed for debugging. NMI is disabled.
Perform keyboard controller BAT test. Save power-on CPUID value in scratch
CMOS. Go to flat mode with 4GB limit and GA20 enabled.

IIICHRONOSIII

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
I have the same build as you pretty much BDK3.
It worked for an hour and then went off.
This is my first build and I swapped the ram out with a kingston 2gb one I had
And still have the same D1 error.

Help, pardon the noobness.

G

Just had this problem last night with a new computer I built, turns out my problem was I didn't have the ram pushed in the whole way. You gotta push really hard :/

G

I had the same problem with a similar new build (same error message on the motherboard, same issue with the fans/HD). Turns out one of my four RAM cards was bad. Three worked great, and isolating the RAM did the trick. I haven't had much time to keep testing it given the holiday madness, but once I got that issue sorted it seems like everything is ticking over nicely. RMA'd the RAM and hopefully the replacements will work.

Latest posts