Sign in with
Your question

CPU upgrade for LGA775 Mobo

Last response: in CPUs
July 12, 2010 4:46:00 PM

Hi guys. I have a CPU upgrade question. Here in the office, an employee has a Compaq Presario SR1522X Desktop PC. This PC uses a Pentium 4 516 (P) 2.93 GHz CPU, on an ASUS PTGD-LA motherboard.

Compaq Presario SR1522X Specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

ASUS PTGD-LA motherboard Specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

While I understand that the PC itself should probably be replaced, I'd like to know if a CPU upgrade would provide a needed performance boost. This PC is somewhat unique in the office, as it alone uses some specific software and programs , and the user doesn't want to relocate them to a new PC. None of the programs are all that demanding, but a boost in performance would help a great deal. At any rate, I believe the PC uses an ATX-300w PSU, which would likely factor in what components are chosen for upgrades. The mobo claims to support up to a 3.4 ghz processor. What CPU would you recommend, if any at all? Thanks in advance.

Maybe an Intel E5300, E5400? Or would a bump up to an E6xxx series CPU be a better bang for the buck?

Also, should I upgrade the PSU? If so, any recommendations? Thanks again.

a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 4:56:39 PM

I think the best upgrade you could go for in your case would be a 3.4GHz P4. I don't think the 915 chipset on your board will support dual core CPUs. It probably wouldn't be worth the upgrade to be honest. It would have to be a new motherboard if you wanted to go further which would almost certainly mean a clean install of Windows or a repair install the least. Sorry to disappoint!
m
l
July 12, 2010 5:22:11 PM

You're correct. I'm reading about it now. The 915 only supports single core CPU's. Oh well. I'm not sure the increase in performance would be worth it then. I'll have to talk her into a new build.

Moody, do you know anything about the Acronis Imaging software? This might sound nuts, but is it possible to reinstall an image back up, on a new PC? I'm guessing no, but I'm curious if it's possible.
m
l
Related resources
July 12, 2010 5:32:32 PM

It is really funny that you mention Acronis, I'm actually using it right now for a guy's laptops here at my office!

The answer is yes, you can actually do that!
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 6:20:50 PM

Be carefull there, Acronis may possibly migrate you to a new machine, but it is not for certain and it may not work at all.

The problem here is Acronis can try remove drivers from windows to allow installation onto the new system, but it is not always successfull.

It works great if you have the same hardware, but going from what you have now to a new PC, Hmmm not so sure, possibly worth a try though.

Your honest best bet is to go with a fresh install..I know, I supply Acronis as the Default Backup Solution to all my Business Customers!

What software is this machine running, Is it legacy software!
m
l
July 12, 2010 7:15:05 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. This is a simple PC running XP. We're a small family operation that manages property, and has a construction/development company type operation as well. This PC in question is the only one that runs this ACS Management Plus type software, that I know nothing about. So the user/owner doesn't want to migrate to a new PC, because she doesn't want to mess with this software at all (disturb things so to speak). She'd rather deal with her ancient machine, and it's turtle like performance, than risk being stuck in a situation where nothing is working at all. That's why I'm curious about how the Acronis type software works. I've read some people discuss it, and I'm confused as to whether or not you can install a back-up onto a fresh system, and have everything work properly. What I might do is build her a new system, and try it. If it fails, then we'll transfer the hard way.

How would that work though? When you install the image into a new PC, would you have to install the program software first? Not Acronis so much, but the different programs that the old PC may have had installed on it. For example, if I used Lotus Word Pro, and installed an image back up via Acronis onto a new PC, would Lotus have to be installed first, or would the image automatically install Lotus when it loads the back up? If it does, then wouldn't that mean that one could load all kinds of software....well, you know what I mean (wink, wink).
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 7:54:25 PM

I believe that Acronis would automatically load that software when you read the image. I guess it does kind of leave a door open for software piracy but I think that door would be very narrow indeed. The thing with an Acronis backup is that they take an image of the entire partition, including drivers for the motherboard etc. that are usually installed during the initial Windows Installation process. The only other option would be to try a Repair Installation of Windows XP. To be honest, this is more likely to work than the Acronis method. However, if you opted for a completely new system instead of just a mobo upgrade and you used new HDDs then an Acronis image of the system partition may be necessary. In an ideal world a complete, fresh install would be preferred since an Acronis image to a new system is messy at best. But since we don't live in an ideal world it's worth a shot. As you mentioned you can always do it the hard way afterwards if it doesn't work.

Have a look at this guide on replacing a motherboard and performing a repair installation of Windows XP:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/replace_motherboard.htm

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!
m
l
July 12, 2010 8:01:29 PM

You don't have to clone the entire drive, you can use acronis to load specific files from drive to drive.

I.E. you can use acronis to load the specific pieces of software that you want from the old machine to the new one.
m
l
July 12, 2010 8:03:31 PM

I believe this wouldn't make replacing the mobo possible.

Quote:
If you are contemplating replacing the motherboard in an OEM system with anything other than an exact replacement OEM motherboard this procedure is likely going to fail. Why? Part of this procedure involves doing a Repair Installation of Windows XP. To perform a Repair Installation it's necessary to have a Microsoft supplied bootable XP Installation CD; not one of the Recovery CD's or a system where the operating system installation files are stored on a hidden partition on the hard drive like many Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM's) supply. Click this link and read through the section called Windows Installation CD - Repair Current Installation before you proceed if this applies to your situation.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 8:03:33 PM

bertimus said:
You don't have to clone the entire drive, you can use acronis to load specific files from drive to drive.

I.E. you can use acronis to load the specific pieces of software that you want from the old machine to the new one.

How does this fare for registry keys etc. that are also installed with the software? Can Acronis do this too?
m
l
July 12, 2010 8:10:44 PM

I'm not exactly sure about that, but backing up to how the programs actually work, you move the file or group of files from the old drive to the new drive, once they are loaded to the new drive, they are unzipped and installed onto the new machine. I'm guessing that during installation that the program takes care of that stuff by itself.

Don't quote me on that, though.
m
l
July 12, 2010 8:26:49 PM

Actually, I was kind of wrong there. You can use acronis to move the software that you want from the old computer to the new one, but once the file is unzipped and you install the software, it will be a new version. Any database files associated with your programs will have to be moved over separately.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2010 10:54:10 PM

Hey Real World,

I have been using the PTGD-LA MoBo for the last couple years, I picked up a Pentium 4 630 3.00GHz Prescott from a local used parts store for $20.00; the 3.4GHz processor is almost impossible to find, only a few thousand were actually produced regardless of what people may tell you. The chip is only 1 core but with 2 threads; this means it does support hyperthreading and I can play a many games that require a dual core processor. I am using Windows7 32bit, Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid 500GB hard drive, 3GB RAM, used 450w PSU and EVGA 9400 GT. It is a desk top, the laptop hard drive runs very cool compared to a 3.5 and is faster than a 10k rpm drive, sub-SSD. Remember it is always a combination of hardware and software, Windows XP just will NOT accomplish what I am running. I use EVGA Precision to clock the video card and keep the rest of the OS nimble as far services; I don’t recommend tweaking outside the normal performance settings of Visual Effects and Virtual Memory located in the System Properties. Windows7 OS actually works very well on its own managing the back ground services we use to worry about, the 64bit OS will drive you mad not a lot of drivers out there and the Vista drivers are junk, just give it some time, software needs to catch back up. I’m hitting 5.9 on the Windows Experience Index, not bad for used stuff. Over clocking the CPU is blocked and the MoBo has you locked down too; anything you can do with an application is just a big waste of time that WILL damage the equipment. Good Luck, this message will self destruct in 5 seconds.

USED- Pentium 4 630 3.00GHz $20.00
USED- 3GB RAM $55.00
USED- 450w PSU $25.00
USED- EVGA 9400 GT $40.00
New- Seagate Momentous $114.00
XT Hybrid 500GB hard drive
TOTAL $254.00
m
l
!