ARGGHHHH won't boot

techem

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
My PC won't boot. It worked fine for 2 years and slowly the bootup failed. Sometimes it worked and now it won't start at all.

I bought a new mb, but somewhat same error.

The fans and harddrive starts to spin. The mb led's light up. Nothing shows up on the screen. BLANK!

I tried with no ram modules, 1 ram module, another cpu and gfx. Is it the psu? :(

1. Please also check the monitor and monitor cable. You said the HDD spins which could mean that the PC is booting but no picture.

2. Do you see the start up screen? Bios logo, counting RAM, etc. Anything... or completely blank but the HDD runs?

Please be a little more detailed.

techem

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
1. The monitor works with another PC
2. Completly blank screen!

The motherboard led's light up. I'm completly lost :-/

nayfrench

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
will it boot at all from the disc? Are you able to get into bios? I am going thru the same thing with mine right now, I think I posted right before you lol. Maybe we can get thru it together. What are your specs?

techem

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Hmm. I just had a breakthrough. Weird.

I reversed the power led cable and reseated only 2 ram modules (I have 4, so maybe 1 or 2 ram modules are defective. Now The PC boots fine but I'm nervous as hell everytime I boot up.

Antec Solo Case
Gigabyte GA-EG41MF-US2H
E6750 2.66Ghz
4 Kingston HyperX 1GB (6400)

The RAM doesn't always broken if things like that happens.
Try to clean the RAM slots and the RAM pins. After cleaning, try to put them back and see what happens.

BTW : Youwould also want to run Memtest to test just to make sure.

nayfrench

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Why the power led cable? Was it not lighting up? And with the ram, I reseated mine as well and it didnt help me. Were they seated improperly or you think just taking them out and putting them back in helped?

techem

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I tried with no ram
I tried with one ram module

Didn't work.

Then I tried with 2 ram modules in dual ram mode. Worked. Haven't testet further yet.

nayfrench

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
rgr that, i tried the reseating and only 2 modules in and nothing yet. ill keep trying, glad you got yours going

techem

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

How can defective ram cause complete blank screen? Shouldn't the bios information load and show some kind of information about bad ram?

Apotheosis1

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

Every time I've had bad RAM, it's been a complete fail to boot, absolutely no video or reaction at all—not even into BIOS. What makes me wonder is that you said that you tried booting without RAM and with single RAM modules, so it seems odd to me to think that it would be a RAM issue.
It sounds like it might be a motherboard issue to me, since changing the RAM mode allowed you to boot. However, I would agree that you should run Memtest to see if you've got a bar module.

techem

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Well, like I said above. I just got a new motherboard so it can't be that.

Right now the system is booting. I will try with all 4 ram modules later.

BIOS can only recognize if the RAM is there or not there, but detecting defect RAMs..no..
It will do startup but got stuck somewhere in the middle of the startup attempt due to the broken RAM....so...nothing happens...if it stucks really near the beginning of the start up, nothing will come up to screen...

The slowing down and sometimes worked sometime not...it also caused by this problem...it depends on when it is stuck...at this point the RAM is starting to brake down...

Nothing on screen means totally broken...

Or just dirty...

Apotheosis1

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

Whoops, should pay more attention before posting a reply. :S

Ah, well, it's late here.

nayfrench

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
nah tried every techinque known to myself and this thread and nothing for me, still screen goes past intel screen and sits at blank screen with cursor flashing or if i put a dics in, boots from disc going to install/restore screen