Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can u run it

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2010 1:54:09 PM

Hello, Thinking of buying a new computer, gateway dx4300-11, with an ati radeon hd 3200 graphics card and 8 gigs of ram. Currently have an older gateway with n video g force 7600 and 2 gigs of ram. Will this new computer graphics be up to the old one? thanks, Ron

More about : run

a c 169 U Graphics card
April 7, 2010 2:06:07 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Actually no,HD 3200 is an integrated card and a low-end card for gaming,it will be even worse than your old 7600
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2010 2:12:26 PM

Yes and no... It will do some things better, like 1080p playback, blu-ray, and such. But the 3200 isn't much for gaming. It's an integrated GPU, not a discrete graphics card. The 3300 is a little better suited for games, but still lags far behind various modern discrete GPU solutions.

Consult this chart for cross-referencing performance tiers:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...

To choose upgrades, once you find what you have, you should typically go at least 3 steps up in the chart to get noticeable performance gains. For older and/or relatively weak ones, 6, 8, even 10 steps up to more modern hardware can show truly amazing differences in performance. Surprisingly, some up those 8 and 10 step options are quite affordable.
Related resources
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 7, 2010 2:18:44 PM

Yes you are right,i think it does better in 1080p playback but in games it performs worse
m
l
April 7, 2010 2:53:29 PM

Good to see that your planning for 8gig of ram , but why to lag behind with old hd 3200 graphics card , cool games we can find ex:\ justcause 2 , battlefield 1942 in market now days .
If ur into gaming go for better gpu . sry battlefield badcompany 2
m
l
April 7, 2010 8:38:21 PM

Best answer selected by gulfpuffer.
m
l
April 7, 2010 8:42:38 PM

RazberyBandit said:
Yes and no... It will do some things better, like 1080p playback, blu-ray, and such. But the 3200 isn't much for gaming. It's an integrated GPU, not a discrete graphics card. The 3300 is a little better suited for games, but still lags far behind various modern discrete GPU solutions.

Consult this chart for cross-referencing performance tiers:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...

To choose upgrades, once you find what you have, you should typically go at least 3 steps up in the chart to get noticeable performance gains. For older and/or relatively weak ones, 6, 8, even 10 steps up to more modern hardware can show truly amazing differences in performance. Surprisingly, some up those 8 and 10 step options are quite affordable.

Wow, great answer, I'm still a little confused by the card hierarchy you mentioned. This machine has built-in PCI Express x16 slot. So what would be a good card that would work in this machine? I do a little gaming, old duffer style, so looking for a good card, but I've no clue. thanks, Ron
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2010 11:52:08 PM

I'm not exactly sure what type of gaming "old duffer style" actually is... :) 

According to Gateway's resources, it has a 300W power supply. So, I believe it would be wise to choose a card that doesn't require connection to a PCIe power cable. That in mind, the HD 5670 would be a really nice match.

It's a capable and power-conscious card with many features that could be put to use by this PC's multi-media capabilities via it's TV-tuner. It has an HDMI connection for use with an HDTV display while supporting true Dolby audio output over HDMI, making it an excellent video streamer.

As I said, it is a capable card. It can run some of today's hottest and most intense titles fairly well. As for actual game performance, that depends on your monitor and the games you prefer to play. What resolution is the monitor you intend to pair this machine with?

And for game performance reviews versus other cards in it's class and price range, try here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5670,2533...

512MB versions of the 5670 start at $84 at Newegg.com, and 1GB versions at $105. It would be beneficial to go to 1GB if using a higher resolution display, such as 1920x1080 or so. 512MB should be sufficient for 1680x1050 or lower resolution.
m
l
April 8, 2010 3:02:27 PM

ok, thanks for this info, you have really helped me to decide what to buy. "old duffer style" = old man over 60 who likes to fool around with games. Ron
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2010 9:05:06 PM

I figured as much :) 

Now the only concern I have is just how much power the 12V rail of it's power supply can deliver. Hopefully they didn't skimp on it and it's of good quality, with a 12V amperage rating upwards of 18A or more. I mention this because the CPU, graphics card, hard drive, optical drive, and a few other devices are all powered by the 12V rail. That onboard video doesn't draw much power. Hopefully since this PC has nice expandability, they used a PSU with some headroom to accommodate such upgrades.

It's arguable that you just might be better off buying a different PC that comes with a better graphics card initially. The problem is, most Gateway, HP, Dell, and other mass-produced PC's only come with integrated graphics, like the HD3200 on this Gateway. Basically, they'd all require a graphics card upgrade like we've discussed here with the HD5670. There is an alternative, though.

If it's within your budget, you could always get a custom-built PC. Doing so adds a price premium, which is why I mentioned budget first. It's just something to consider.
m
l
!