Sign in with
Your question

Quad-Core desktops

Last response: in CPUs
July 12, 2010 6:02:01 PM

Hello,
I am looking for a good Quad-Core desktop with good specs. Unfortunately, my budget is $1000. Do you think you can find me a good desktop at or under $1000? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

More about : quad core desktops

a c 83 à CPUs
July 12, 2010 7:07:37 PM

What do you plan to use this computer for? You can find a good number of quad core based computers around $700-$800 last time I looked around. They all had integrated graphics though, so they wouldn't be good for gaming unless you add a video card.
m
l
Related resources
July 12, 2010 8:31:42 PM

I'm only going to be using this computer for primary use only, no gaming or anything, so I wouldn't need to add a video card and it wouldn't matter if th graphics card was integrated. Could you give me some suggestions on some models that would be good? That would be great!
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 8:35:36 PM

Same as the above - we'll need more details on what you'll be using your system for and whether you're willing to consider a home-build or you particularly want a pre-built system :) 
m
l
July 12, 2010 8:43:26 PM

BUDGET RANGE: $1000 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Using microsoft office, surfing the web, watching videos/movies

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would prefer a processor from AMD (if they have quad-core {I'm really not sure!} just my preference, doesn't have to be) and a graphics card from ATI (once again, just preference).

MONITOR RESOLUTION: At least 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: A reasonable screen size, and my preference would be a quieter fan volume.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 8:45:03 PM

Sorry - didn't see your reply above!

If you wanted integrated graphics then you'll save yourself a good amount of money by not needing a graphics card. Really the 785G chipset from AMD would be your best bet for IGP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Intel i5s that are quad-core don't have an IGP.

I'm currently using an Athlon II X4 chip with the 785G chipset and can attest to its performance as a non-gaming graphics solution. You'd probably also get mediocre gaming performancer on some older games. Have a look at some 785G chipset motherboards - you may also be able to find some good mobo/cpu bundles on NewEgg. You should be able to put together a very good system with a $1000 dollar budget. Post back when you have had a look and we can offer some more advice. Good luck!

m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
July 13, 2010 1:13:56 AM

nadim615 said:
BUDGET RANGE: $1000 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Using microsoft office, surfing the web, watching videos/movies

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would prefer a processor from AMD (if they have quad-core {I'm really not sure!} just my preference, doesn't have to be) and a graphics card from ATI (once again, just preference).

MONITOR RESOLUTION: At least 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: A reasonable screen size, and my preference would be a quieter fan volume.

Of course AMD has quad core processors, they have for around 2 1/2 years now and they've actually got 6 core processors too.

I'm not sure what stores your looking to shop from, or if you need a new monitor or anything like that, but this system should do fine.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0335963

If you just look around you should be able to find similar systems from different OEMs if you don't like HP.
m
l
July 13, 2010 5:27:04 PM

loneninja said:
Of course AMD has quad core processors, they have for around 2 1/2 years now and they've actually got 6 core processors too.

I'm not sure what stores your looking to shop from, or if you need a new monitor or anything like that, but this system should do fine.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0335963

If you just look around you should be able to find similar systems from different OEMs if you don't like HP.

Ok, that computer looks great to me! Can you tell me what the graphics resolution for the video card is? And does that computer come with a monitor? It doesn't say it does but it doesn't say it doesn't so I'm really not sure. If it doesn't, could you give me some suggestions/links to some monitors that you think would be good?
And I do need a new monitor.
m
l
July 15, 2010 5:59:22 PM

Is there any way you guys would be able to find me a good monitor by any chance; if the computer on the link that loneninja sent me doesn't come with a monitor? It doesn't say it does but it doesn't say it doesn't so I'm not really sure. If you could that would be great!
m
l
July 16, 2010 12:00:08 AM

Oh. I guess I didn't see that. Thanks for the link for the monitor.
m
l
!