akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Hello,

I've narrowed on couple of P67 MOBOs such as:

1) Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 & Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 (yet to learn more about them)
2) ASUS P8P67 Deluxe & ASUS P8P67 Pro (most reviews favored the Pro model)

3) ASUS P8P67 Sabertooth: How is this one compared to P8P67 Pro? I read somewhere this board has got special features we find in GGA-P55A-UD4P rev. 2.0 (iPad charging etc) and got onboard Bluetooth etc. Am I missing anything here?

To get the most out of the i7-2600 processor, ignoring price factor, what board is better from the above as per your experience/review knowledge?

I'm more of a Gigabyte MOBO user but I'll go with Asus if it's the best one right now for that processor. This machine is intended to build for more Apps running than Gaming. So, boards such as UD7, Maximus IV etc are ruled out. Please share. Thank you :)

I went with the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe as I like the board layout and the price is within what I normally pay for a motherboard. Make sure you check the QVL for your memory before purchase. It is a new board so thats pretty important. otherwise if you have problems asus will just say the memory isn't supported.

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

1) Deciding on which make of board to buy is like deciding whether to buy a GM or a Ford. ASUS is the biggest and best selling board maker on the market. They are well made, well supported and most of all, reliable. I have never owned a Gigabyte so I don't have any direct experience with them.

2) The ASUS P8P67 Deluxe has a few extras over the P8P67 Pro model. The biggest difference is a USB v3.0 front mount for inserting in a free 5.25" front slot in your case. Both boards have USB v3.0 plugs in the back for connecting items that you use regularly. The Pro model does not have the extra front ports but it does have a header for a v3.0 front hook-up on the board. I does come with a two plug USB v3.0 slot for the back (a total of 4). The Deluxe has a few minor other items. You can do a point by point comparison on the ASUS web site. For the extra funds, I did not feel the Deluxe was necessary for my needs and bought the Pro (with no regrets).

3) The P67 Sabretooth is a really unique board! It has mil-spec hardware on board, a 5 yr warranty and a plastic cover over most of the board. So, I suspect this board is built like the proverbial tank, if that is your need. It is about $80 more than the Pro model.

You mention the Intel i7-2600 (locked) model in your post. There is also a i7-2600K (unlocked) for a few extra dollars. Frankly, I suggest you look at the 2500k or the 2600k, even if you don't currently plan to OC. I bought the i5-2500k, based on the product review recommendations. The 2500k is about $100 cheaper than the 2600k. The 2600k adds hyper-threading (most people would not utilize this feature) and has an extra 100Mhz extra stock speed. Is that worth $100? Not to me but your terms of reference might be different. I put the extra $100 saved into RAM.

Speaking of RAM, I strongly suggest you buy either 1333 or 1600Mhz RAM that operates to spec at 1.5v. There have been lots of reports of trouble with 1.65v RAM although ASUS has many 1.65v RAM models on their QVL (qualified vendors List).....go figure.

Hope this helps! :??:

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

Thanks for the inputs. What memory are you using on that MOBO? Specs. please.
Have you done any tests with your MOBO? How is it faring compared to Pro board? I read many reviews voting in favor of Pro board, guess is that something to do with the price difference between those two?

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

I haven't made my mind for any MOBO yet but I don't think that socket issue is such a big issue, just getting blown out of proportion. Do you own a Pro board? Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

This board I've some inclination, price doesn't matter to me if that MOBO excels in the reviews.
Anyone owns such a MOBO with a P55 chipset? Please share in this regard. Thanks.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

Sorry my friend, never owned neither brands but I wish to own a Chevy Camaro. My collection: Audi, BMW and a few more :) Anyway, I owned many Asus boards from a good time, example some 6 years back bought many P4C800 Deluxe MOBOs, which was based on 875P chipset (rock solid product). One of my favorite displays are from Asus, own 30 Nos in different sizes. So, it's a great company which I know but Gigabyte is a great MOBO company too in my experience from almost a decade.

Thanks for the inputs, I've seen the comparison between those two. Alright, even am in two minds freezing on a Deluxe model but how about Premium board? Is that a multi CFX/SLI kinda (more of) Gaming centric board?

I loved that board. If it's again more of a Gaming board then am not that interested. I need a rock solid board which delivers the best performance without too many features (stripped down) which I never use them (such as Gaming, hard OCing etc). I think that's the reason why Pro model is faring better in the reviews?

Price is not important when a product has to perform at its best by supporting key features. Those features are such as Virtualization etc. So, 2600K doesn't support Vt-d (directed I/O, which is a must to me) so it got nuked from my list! Similarly, 2500 series doesn't support HT so they are out too :) Had price/performance aren't crucial factors to me then I would have happily settled for a i5-2300, which costs some 180 bucks compared to a $320, 2600K processor!

I know. I would go with 1600 MHz, 8-8-8-24. Which one do you use? Specs?

Once again, thanks for the inputs. Keep them coming :)

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

Mine is 8GB of 1333Mhz C9, 9-9-9-24, 1.5v, made by Kingston. Very stock and very reliable. It is all one needs. After all, the P67 chip set is a mid line one, it is not the upcoming X68. This RAM is fine for 99% of what I do...which is everything from edit photos to games and everything in between.

Oh and I suggest you look at Consumers Magazine before you buy a Camero. I had one in the 60's and it was the worst car I have ever owned. The Chev dealers love it though. Wonder why! :sarcastic: Maybe they are better now...I hope so for GM's sake. Oh and for what it is worth, I drive an Acura RL now. Very nice car. :kaola:

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

I'm thinking to close on this one, what do you think:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233147

I do watch couple of good Car shows in my free time and get a few magazine subscriptions. Well, I was talking about 2010 Camaro SS, it has got awesome power and looks are great too :) Acura is a great car, benefited greatly from the Honda's NSX programme (I used to own a 1994 NSX model but sold it off in 2000).

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
I'll start by saying I love Corsair stuff! They make the best case there is (the 800D), make awesome power supplies (I own the AX-850 and it is flawless) and are well respected world over for quality. Having said that.....I have been told by my salesman that they have had a lot of issues with the Corsair RAM lately when used with Sandy Bridge mobos. Past history has shown me that the dealer I have tells the truth so I believe what he said to me. I am not saying it is gospel and I have no way to verify that the information is accurate. One has to wonder about this though since G.Skill has already come out with "Sandy Bridge specific" RAM called "RipJaw X". There is a need to get 1.5v RAM for this new Sandy Bridge setup....remember Sandy Bridge it is new territory (architecture) for Intel and the mobo makers and RAM problems have surfaced already. I think the reason I had no trouble is that mine is Kingston 1333MHZ and 1.5v. Of course Kingston, while frowned upon by some doubters here, makes very reliable and solid RAM. Guaranteed for life as well. I also heard that some Patriot RAM works okay. There are no hard and fast rules with this issue though, not yet anyway.

Check this out:

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=353&c1=&c2=

Good luck with your choice. The Sandy is a superb platform. Hope this helps you.

So far so good. Here's what I have

Core i7 2600K (not OC yet)
Corsair 2x 4GB - DDR3 1600 = 9-9-9-24
Asus 1155 Deluxe
EVGA 570 SC

I'm not sure about the pro board but I didn't like the layout of the pro board. I liked the deluxe better.

I am having BIOS issues but I posted that some where else here and I don't want to repeat it. I may have resolved it by clearing the cmos tho. Not sure yet will find out tonight.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/285454-30-asus-p8p67-deluxe#t1957013

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

I am not surprised you are having issues with the Corsair stuff...that is what my salesman has been telling me about a lot of them. I hope it works out for you. You should know after a few days.

Not intending to hijack this thread but.....how is your 570SC working for you? I am considering same for my next GPU.

Also, how the heck have you not overclocked yet? On stock settings, mine does it automatically and then throttles back to stock when there is no demand. What settings are you using in your BIOS to run stock?

Thanks in advance.

the EVGA 570 SC is awesome. I got everything on ultra setting at 1650 x 1050 and it's stable at 60FPS. I have fallout new vegas and WoW of course. It's huge tho so you need a big case. Temps are decent 60C idle and 65C load in WOW. It's all on a 620 watt PSU and it's fine so far. I do plan on getting a bigger PSU in 6 months.

It's not over clocked because i'm trying to get my computer to boot up properly right now on normal settings. I don't have a stock fan I use the zeroTherm nv120. Not sure I like the temps tho on normal its at 45C.

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for the input. I use a Cooler Master 690 II Advanced mid size case so I think the 570SC is too big. Maybe I'll go with a 470SC. I read they are 9.5" which as I recall is the same as my 260.

Wow, your CPU is pretty warm running at stock. I use the stock Intel CPU cooler and I am 34c right now at stock 3300MHz. (mine is a 2500k). Mine goes into the 40's when I OC it. My Motherboard temp is 29c right now.

If I remember I'll measure the length of the video card. It's pretty long. I have a huge case, the p180, and it's pretty much at the edge before the top cage. I could remove the top cage entirely and have plenty of room still tho. So take a look at the p180 and ya it goes from the back to the edge of the top cage. The p183 is the samething as the p180 with some modifications.

Really I guess I'll have to try the stock cooler then some day. the heatsink is the kind you bolt to the motherboard so i would have to take the board out :/.