Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A Case Screen

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2010 10:37:58 AM

So, I've been wanting for a while to do a custom case mod that includes a touchscreen LCD that will do a handful of things, but mostly serve as eyecandy that can synchronize with my audio.
I found an acceptable (meaning dirt cheap) screen on fleeBay, now I'm looking for suggestions from the community as to the best way to complete this. I should note that this will be my first true homebuild, so I'm not really sure of anything.
Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a separate video card and use onboard video to power the case screen, buy a multi-display card and use that to power both screens, or look for something more obscure (obscure suggestions also welcome).

So, what's recommended? Remember that I'm a poor college kid with a minimum wage job. :p 

I'd also like any early suggestions on programs for eyecandy. It can only be full screen in one screen, since I'll be using the other monitor at the same time.

Thanks!

More about : case screen

May 5, 2010 8:35:16 PM

Well, I'd look around the internet for others who have already done something similar, and glean ideas from them to start.
I think the easiest would be a multi display card. You can get some apps that can setup rules such that when you run a program, it will display on the correct screen. Then you have to find the programs to do the things you want. XBMC is a nice media center app that includes built-in visualizations, good media format support, and a nice ui. If it supports touch screen it would be perfect I think.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2010 9:02:05 PM

lmgtfy? ;) 

In all seriousness, I think you're likely to have better luck running it off the same card.

You might consider screensavers that have a computer-y theme, like System47 or a Matrix-y screensaver or something.

Here's a relatively non-ancient THG article that talks a little about an application called Frontview that might be of interest.
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2010 9:03:47 PM

To clarify, I meant a card that supports multiple displays.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2010 9:34:24 PM

If you plan to do some thing like this, post it over at bit tech's modding section. There are quite a lot of modders there including people who have done what you are talking about.

For example: http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2004/07/07/psone_lcd/1
May 12, 2010 6:45:44 AM

coldsleep said:
lmgtfy? ;) 

In all seriousness, I think you're likely to have better luck running it off the same card.

You might consider screensavers that have a computer-y theme, like System47 or a Matrix-y screensaver or something.

Here's a relatively non-ancient THG article that talks a little about an application called Frontview that might be of interest.

Hehe, thanks for the joke back. :p 

As far as the screensaver idea, I can't see how well that would work if I have to be able to use the other screen at the same time. Am I wrong about how this works?

I like Shadow's post, and I might well consider moving this over to Bit Tech. I'd never heard of Bit Tech before, like I mentioned, I've never done any modding before, so any resource is new and welcome. :) 

I've been considering using something like a Winamp plugin, or a simple stand-alone visualizer, but have failed to find one that will interact with clicks. I'd really like to make the screen interactive, it would be so much more fun for the kiddies (mostly myself, but nobody needs to know that), especially since I went out of the way to get a touch screen.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, guys, I appreciate them a lot! :D 
m
l
May 12, 2010 6:48:21 AM

Oh, btw, I just looked up System 47, that's pretty awesome! I might just use that when I don't have music going. :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 12, 2010 2:38:42 PM

The screensaver suggestion was just to kind of keep everything in-theme, and as eye candy. It sure is pretty though, huh? :) 

Any new ideas come up over at bit-tech?
m
l
May 12, 2010 7:44:40 PM

no ideas over at bit-tech, but I should get the screen today, and then it will be time to start playing around and see what we can do. :) 
m
l
May 16, 2010 7:29:33 AM

Best answer selected by Apotheosis1.
m
l
!