Color balance mismatch

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 9, 2004 2:37:57 AM

I shot off a few frames on my D70 in daylight but the camera color
balance was set to incandescent. Unfortunately I was shooting in fine
JPG's and not RAW. I cannot take the pictures again.

I have tried color balance adjustments and pulling curves and levels in
Photoshop but I cannot get the pictures to look natural. I know I can
convert to greyscale but does anybody know of a photoshop "filter" or
action that can help me repair the images as color shots?

More about : color balance mismatch

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 2:37:58 AM

What version of photoshop are you using?

--
Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia

"freehand" <freehand2@eircom.net> wrote in message
> I shot off a few frames on my D70 in daylight but the camera color
> balance was set to incandescent. Unfortunately I was shooting in fine
> JPG's and not RAW. I cannot take the pictures again.
>
> I have tried color balance adjustments and pulling curves and levels in
> Photoshop but I cannot get the pictures to look natural. I know I can
> convert to greyscale but does anybody know of a photoshop "filter" or
> action that can help me repair the images as color shots?
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 2:37:58 AM

"freehand" <freehand2@eircom.net> wrote in message
> I shot off a few frames on my D70 in daylight but the camera color
> balance was set to incandescent. Unfortunately I was shooting in fine
> JPG's and not RAW. I cannot take the pictures again.
>
> I have tried color balance adjustments and pulling curves and levels in
> Photoshop but I cannot get the pictures to look natural. I know I can
> convert to greyscale but does anybody know of a photoshop "filter" or
> action that can help me repair the images as color shots?

Probably not anything automatic...

How about posting a shot and letting people fiddle with it a bit?
It's always interesting to see what others can quickly come up with.
December 9, 2004 2:37:58 AM

Maybe try (not free, but worth the $ imho):
http://www.asf.com/products/plugins/roc/pluginROC.asp
http://www.asf.com/products/plugins/rocpro/pluginROCPRO...

"freehand" <freehand2@eircom.net> wrote in message
>I shot off a few frames on my D70 in daylight but the camera color
>balance was set to incandescent. Unfortunately I was shooting in fine
>JPG's and not RAW. I cannot take the pictures again.
>
> I have tried color balance adjustments and pulling curves and levels
> in Photoshop but I cannot get the pictures to look natural. I know I
> can convert to greyscale but does anybody know of a photoshop
> "filter" or action that can help me repair the images as color
> shots?
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 2:37:58 AM

In article <i9Mtd.43535$Z14.19329@news.indigo.ie>, freehand
<freehand2@eircom.net> wrote:

> I shot off a few frames on my D70 in daylight but the camera color
> balance was set to incandescent. Unfortunately I was shooting in fine
> JPG's and not RAW. I cannot take the pictures again.
>
> I have tried color balance adjustments and pulling curves and levels in
> Photoshop but I cannot get the pictures to look natural. I know I can
> convert to greyscale but does anybody know of a photoshop "filter" or
> action that can help me repair the images as color shots?

let photoshop do the work!

add a curves adjustment layer. then you can do one of several things:

click on the 'auto' button and see what photoshop thinks. it might work
ok, but chances are, it won't.

click the middle eyedropper and then click on a neutral part of the
image, perhaps a white shirt or grey background. photoshop will make
that spot neutral, and the rest of the colors should fall into place.
this works best if you zoom out so you get more than a pixel or two,
and thus average out any random noise.

another method is click on the 'options...' button, which brings up the
auto color corrections options. select from the three different
algorithms and whether to snap neutral midtones. the choice of which
one depends on the picture - pick what looks best.

don't worry if the effect is too strong - you can fade it. once you get
the image looking better, click 'ok' and then adjust the opacity of the
adjustment layer to fade the correction out a little, in the event it
was too harsh.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 3:35:02 AM

>From: freehand freehand2@eircom.net

>I have tried color balance adjustments and pulling curves and levels in
>Photoshop but I cannot get the pictures to look natural. I know I can
>convert to greyscale but does anybody know of a photoshop "filter" or
>action that can help me repair the images as color shots?

On the Photoshop NG someone said there are several canned color correction
actions for free download on the Adobe Forum site, since this happens a lot.

If you have a neutral area in one of the shots you can use the grey eyedropper
tool in Levels or Curves to reset the white balance, save this curve/level
setting and apply it to the other images easily. If you don't have a neutral
area things are a lot tougher ...

>Unfortunately I was shooting in fine
>JPG's and not RAW. I cannot take the pictures again.

One of many reasons I almost always shoot RAW mode ...
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 4:07:10 AM

www.curvemeister.com

"freehand" <freehand2@eircom.net> wrote in message
> I shot off a few frames on my D70 in daylight but the camera color
> balance was set to incandescent. Unfortunately I was shooting in fine
> JPG's and not RAW. I cannot take the pictures again.
>
> I have tried color balance adjustments and pulling curves and levels in
> Photoshop but I cannot get the pictures to look natural. I know I can
> convert to greyscale but does anybody know of a photoshop "filter" or
> action that can help me repair the images as color shots?
December 9, 2004 10:50:42 AM

freehand wrote:
> I shot off a few frames on my D70 in daylight but the camera color
> balance was set to incandescent. Unfortunately I was shooting in fine

> JPG's and not RAW. I cannot take the pictures again.
>
> I have tried color balance adjustments and pulling curves and levels
in
> Photoshop but I cannot get the pictures to look natural. I know I can

> convert to greyscale but does anybody know of a photoshop "filter" or

> action that can help me repair the images as color shots?

Do you have Photoshop CS? Try Image > Adjustments > Photo Filter...

Here's an article by Bruce Fraser on how to use Photoshop's Auto Color:

www.creativepro.com/story/feature/17164-1.html

Also by Bruce Fraser, "Cheap Trick 1: Auto-place Curve Points" and
"Cheap Trick 2: Gray-balance by the Numbers" may offer some ideas.

www.creativepro.com/story/feature/13811.html?cprose=2-2...
Bob Shomler
www.shomler.com
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 10:46:51 PM

See "Color Temperature and Exposure Correction Plug-In"
http://plugin.artdesign.ru/

[It's free, and also available from the "Adobe Studio Exchange" web site.]

"freehand" <freehand2@eircom.net> wrote in message
> I shot off a few frames on my D70 in daylight but the camera color
> balance was set to incandescent. Unfortunately I was shooting in fine
> JPG's and not RAW. I cannot take the pictures again.
>
> I have tried color balance adjustments and pulling curves and levels in
> Photoshop but I cannot get the pictures to look natural. I know I can
> convert to greyscale but does anybody know of a photoshop "filter" or
> action that can help me repair the images as color shots?
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 11:03:34 PM

Thank you for the links Bob. You have helped me save a few irreplaceable
shots. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Trevor

!