Did my graphics card die?

Having a major issue here...

I was playing Mass Effect 2 when the colors changed, the game stuttered, and then my PC crashed. I caught a glimpse of a pop up bubble before it shut off though, that said something about 'display' and 'disabled' (sorry, I didn't catch more than that :( )

It looks like my graphics card died or something... at first it would only boot up in to safe mode, so I uninstalled the display drivers, and I can get into my PC. If I reinstall the driver though, it freezes, and then reboots when I start up the PC. The BIOS screen is messed up too; words are jumbled, and there are random symbols all over the place. Some black screens before startup are covered in blue or red dots. I really have no idea what is wrong and I could really use some help.

My Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
4GB RAM
Intel Core2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz

If you need any other information, please let me know. I really appreciate any help.
5 answers Last reply
More about graphics card
  1. Your display driver "xxxx" has stopped responding and has been disabled? Something computer-ish along those lines.

Anyways.

Your display drivers probably got heavily corrupted somewhere, I don't know how or why. Your GPU seems to be functioning just fine.

Use a program like driver-sweeper to completely erase all drivers, and try re-installing.
  2. Well I just tried doing that, and now it blue screens every time I start it up. I can't even get into Safe Mode.
  3. does ur motherboard have integrated graphics?
  4. I'm not sure. There's no way for me to plug in my monitor without my graphics card in there if that's what you mean.
  5. Managed to get in and reinstall the drivers, but the problems are all still there.

EDIT: Not sure if this helps, but this is the screen I get before the 'Starting Windows' screen: http://imgur.com/KMbCG.jpg
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics