Laptop Keyboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm getting a laptop for the first time in many years. I have some
questions about keyboards.

Does any laptop include a keyboard that feels anything like the old IBM
101-key Model "M" keyboards? Every laptop I've tried has a mushy
keyboard that I would find very difficult to type on.

The other problem is key layout. The only laptops I have seen with
anything resembling a desktop keyboard layout are some of the Sager
laptops. Are there any others?

Thanks.

Guy

Yes, the IBM thinkpad A series (which I believe has been replaced by the "R"
series) have nice feeling, desktop like keyboards. The 2 exceptions are
that they don't have a windows key, and they don't have a numeric keypad.

Chip

"Guy Scharf" <guy@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> I'm getting a laptop for the first time in many years. I have some
> questions about keyboards.
>
> Does any laptop include a keyboard that feels anything like the old IBM
> 101-key Model "M" keyboards? Every laptop I've tried has a mushy
> keyboard that I would find very difficult to type on.
>
> The other problem is key layout. The only laptops I have seen with
> anything resembling a desktop keyboard layout are some of the Sager
> laptops. Are there any others?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Guy

martin

Guy Scharf wrote:
> I'm getting a laptop for the first time in many years. I have some
> questions about keyboards.
>
> Does any laptop include a keyboard that feels anything like the old IBM
> 101-key Model "M" keyboards? Every laptop I've tried has a mushy
> keyboard that I would find very difficult to type on.
>
> The other problem is key layout. The only laptops I have seen with
> anything resembling a desktop keyboard layout are some of the Sager
> laptops. Are there any others?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Guy

Get a laptop from IBM. I prefer their laptop keyboards to most 'normal'
desktop keyboards.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Best keyboards, IMHO, are on the IBM Thinkpads. Like the T40. Dells and
Compaqs are mushy to me.
John

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:22:46 -0500, Guy Scharf <guy@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>I'm getting a laptop for the first time in many years. I have some
>questions about keyboards.
>
>Does any laptop include a keyboard that feels anything like the old IBM
>101-key Model "M" keyboards? Every laptop I've tried has a mushy
>keyboard that I would find very difficult to type on.
>
>The other problem is key layout. The only laptops I have seen with
>anything resembling a desktop keyboard layout are some of the Sager
>laptops. Are there any others?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Guy

Although I'm a long time IBM user, my daughter recently purchased an
Apple iBook laptop and I was impressed with the size and tactile feel
of the keyboard and its action.

"Bob_M" <r.mariotti@financialdatacorp.com> wrote in message

> Although I'm a long time IBM user, my daughter recently purchased an
> Apple iBook laptop and I was impressed with the size and tactile feel
> of the keyboard and its action.

Personally I think Powerbook keyboards are much better than iBook's.

Regards
Lucar