US Robotics 8054 Resets Itself Occasionally

Tryptamine

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I have the above said router, which I upgraded the firmware on last week to get my newer laptop to connect. It works fine, except for one thing.

The computer I use normally is this wired Dell desktop. Every once in awhile, I get a message "network cable is unplugged". I was downstairs on the newer Dell, and when this happened on that, I noticed that the router was resetting itself, by itself periodically. Maybe every 20 or 30 minutes or more.

I have googled this phenomenon to the greatest extent, with nothing to show for it. Cycling the power in correct order from the Modem, Router and PCs shows no improvement. Does anyone know what could be causing this, or if they have even heard of a router doing this on its own before?

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Well I did find the following:

http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/wireless-networking/m/811510/st=product_tab/prop36

Search for the word RESET and you will find several reviewers describing a similar problem. One reviewer comments "for those of you who were commenting on the router resetting itself .. there was a firmware error which was corrected in the latest version".

Hmm, sounds good but if you just updated to the latest firmware (presumably 1.67b44, at least that’s what I see @ http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=8054 ), and you still have the problem, I don’t know what to tell ya.

Is this a recent acquisition, or something you’ve had for quite a while and only recently started having this problem?

This is a pretty old router dating back to 2004, and hasn't seen a firmware update since 2005. If it isn’t that firmware problem but something mechanical, maybe a problem w/ the AC adapter, perhaps that could be replaced. But it would probably just make more sense to junk it. My gut tells me you probably need to seriously consider something new.

Tryptamine

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Aargh! I am gonna go nuts if this career builder ad doesn't stop popping over the entire website. I know it's a rollover but they usually go away after a couple of seconds. not this one.
eibgrad, thank you for your suggestion. when i did the firmware flash, I got the next-to-last one they had, thinking they had disabled features in the latest, since that's what companies like to do nowadays. I did not read up on the newest firmware update thoroughly enough, and I am embarrassed. thank you.
I will post if this works or not.

TRENDING THREADS