antisyzygy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within 2-3 months BUDGET RANGE: 600-800 Before Rebates (flexible if I need to add components later)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: HTPC, Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Nvidia 8800 GTX 1 GB, 80 gb WD Raptor 150 gb WD Black

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Microcenter, TigerDirect COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer AMD and ATI but I have a Nvidia card Im not using. If Intel is the better choice to go with Nvidia I will consider it.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080p (3D possible)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a quieter PC and one that fits into an entertainment center.

Basically, I have my old gaming rig that I built 5 years ago but upgraded over time. The latest upgrade I did over a year ago was to purchase the 8800 GTX. Ive heard you can use this card for PhysX with another Nvidia card but Im not sure.

I was thinking, what if I could use the 8800 GTX as a PhysX card, get a new Nvidia card that enables 3D television and incorporate it into a HTPC? I could use the Raptor drive I have for the OS, the 150 gb for software or extra storage. I would probably get a 1 or 2 TB drive to store files. I could purchase a 3D tv in the next 6-8 months and have it work from the get go. I dont need to use all the components I have listed if a better solution exists.

As far as gaming requirements, I just want to experiment with PhysX and also be able to play games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2 or possibly newer games on a HDTV. I do not need a top of the line Nvidia card, just one that would work with the games I mentioned on High detail at 1080 resolution.

Im not really familiar with Nvidia anymore so Im not sure how all of this would work, or if its even possible. That is why I am asking for your help. Thank you in advance.

Disclaimer : This was just an idea I recently had, it may not even be a good one. I just ask for advice from you who know a bit more about it.