5850 10.3 driver issues

megaman12

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Ok, so about 2 weeks ago I put together a new rig, and an XFX 5850 black edition is in my computer. I can get the card running fine with the drivers installed from the CD, but when I try to install the 10.3 drivers, it will say I install them correctly, then on the restart my computer will lock up at the "Starting Windows" page, and have to do a system restore. I am running windows 7 professional 64-bit. Another issue is that I cannot even see my video card in device manager until I install the CD driver, before it is just "standard VGA device" I have tried several times installing, with or without the old CD drivers installed, I just cannot figure this out, I haven't tried the 10.2 because I would like to figure this out and keep up with my drivers.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Did you uninstall the drivers from the CD Before you tried to install 10.3? Sometimes you need to uninstall the previous drivers before installing the new ones. Also- try 10.2 and see what happens. Its always worth a try.
Also- don't worry about it showing up as a standard VGA device- as long as it shows up at a 5850 once you have the drivers installed, you're good.
Also- did you verify that you downloaded the proper version of 10.3 drivers for your OS? verify that you got the win 7 64bit driver and didn't accidentally grab the win 7 32bit version or something- its easy to do.

megaman12

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I tried installing the 10.3 drivers both with the drivers from the CD and without the drivers from the CD installed-Same outcome. I am sure I grabbed the correct drivers for my OS, I always check that several times now after being frustrated once before on my 8800gt :D . I will try the 10.2 when I get home, I am leaving for class shortly, thanks for the response and I will tell you how the 10.2 drivers go later.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Ok cool- Hopefully it'll work. If it doesn't, then there is something very strange going on, as I've not heard of anyone else have trouble booting with 10.3 but able to run whatever old stuff the CD had:p. I can actually hardly remember the last time I used the drivers from the CD for anything.