I7 940 cpus are selling for a lot less. Why is that?

clift

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Hey folks,

Planning on building a decent rig for my brother and was looking at the i7 940 cpus. For retail costs they were around $700, I'm seeing a huge amount of them now on craigslist and kijiji for around 300 - 450 brand new in box. Is there something wrong with this cpu? How come there's all this talk about 920 and 930 but nothing on 940? Is there scam going on with cpus or did some magically fall off a truck?

Just looking for additional insight so I don't build a lemon.

Thanks for your help.

Actually, they're going for around 270-280ish on ebay - new in the box too.

My friend traded me his i7 940 for one of my graphics cards. He said that he and a couple of his buddies work at a tech store and they got i7 940s for $200 or so from an Intel promotional offer.

Well im no marking expert, but i sneaking feeling that the 940's have been discontinued for a while now for there reason why it's price has dropped. :sol:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37148#ordering

Now about new 940s...... :heink:

They been discontiued for a while now. For like around year now. It has been replaced by the 950 and thats been also replaced by thee current 960. So i would say dont believe those post of new 940 :non: someone just desperately trying to sell there old cpu for something better.

As for why all the talk about 930 and not much about the other i7's, Well thats due to the fact most of us dont want to pay $100+ for just 0.2 GHz increase. ;) Then again, most people that are looking into the core i7's and phenom II's know how to overclock and do it saving a bunch of money to get the same (if not, more) performance as a more expensive model. The the 975 EE.

Hope this helps :hello:

supersnicker

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
If you can get the i7 940 for cheap then go for it. It's basically a 930 with a higher multiplier (only 1 though). But I use a 930 in my machine and they're extremely fast, you can't go wrong with either.

clift

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
To be honest, I won't be doing any overclocking on this rig. I do remember hearing something about this in another forum post.
Thanks for the heads up though.

supersnicker

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
If you know how to then you can even get an I7 920 at 4ghz, making it blazing fast, but overclocking has to be done good, and if done wrong you could damage your entire rig. If you're not going to overclock I'd say get the cheapest cause I don't think that 130mhz will matter alot.