Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading amd processor

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 13, 2010 12:13:24 AM

hello im looking to upgrade my processor. currently i have amd athlon 64 x2 5400+
my mobo is M2N68-LA (Narra3) ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01... )
what is the best processor i can get?
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 13, 2010 12:38:27 AM

From the page you linked me to :

Supports the following processors:
Phenom with Quad Core technology (AM2+) up to 9600 (up to 95 watt)
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology X2 up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
Athlon 64 less than 4000+
Sempron less than 3800+


This unfortunately means that no CPU upgrade it worthwhile. You will not notice a difference between an Athlon 64x2 5400+ and a 5600+. And I would not wish a Phenom up to B2 or BA on anyone due to the TLB bug; the 9600 has this bug.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20X4%20960...(HD9600WCGDBOX).html
http://www.dailytech.com/Understanding++AMDs+TLB+Proces...

You could always try a new CPU in there, as new AMD CPUs are backwards socket compatible, but there are other issues at play, such as bios support, TDP support and chipset support. Since you have an OEM computer, there will be no bios update. I don't know about chipset support for you and your TDP limit will be 95W.

Therefore, instead I pose a question to you: What are your entire system specs right now, what do you do with the computer and what do you find slow that necessitates a CPU upgrade and how much money do you have to spend?
m
0
l
July 13, 2010 12:46:27 AM

i mostly play games with it and watch videos. rite now i dont care how much the processor will cost, i jsut want to upgrade it if possible
my specs =
OS: Windows 7
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+
RAM: 3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz
MOBO: OEM_MB NARRA3 (Socket AM2 )
Graphics: 512MB GeForce 9800 GT
Hard drive: 500gb western digital
psu: 500w coolermaster

i was looking around and saw am2 is compatible with am3 processors
will an am3 95w work

thx for the fast reply
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 13, 2010 12:52:31 AM

xzecution3r said:
i mostly play games with it and watch videos. rite now i dont care how much the processor will cost, i jsut want to upgrade it if possible
my specs =
OS: Windows 7
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+
RAM: 3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz
MOBO: OEM_MB NARRA3 (Socket AM2 )
Graphics: 512MB GeForce 9800 GT
Hard drive: 500gb western digital
psu: 500w coolermaster

thx for the fast reply

If you don't care about cost, then build a new core i7 980X computer with triple crossfire GTX480s for $3000! lol

I'm just going to say that within reason, you can change out your CPU and motherboard and get a decent CPU for a total of $150
Best gaming CPU for the money: 3 cores currently most common amount that games can take advantage of:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard that supports the CPU and your current ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Don't expect a world of difference though. Your current CPU should be enough for most games without bottlenecking your graphics card as is. But this depends on which games you play, what resolution and settings.
m
0
l
July 13, 2010 1:14:08 AM

enzo matrix said:
And I would not wish a Phenom up to B2 or BA on anyone due to the TLB bug; the 9600 has this bug.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20X4%20960...(HD9600WCGDBOX).html
http://www.dailytech.com/Understanding++AMDs+TLB+Proces...




This bug, even if often talked about, has yet to appears on all Phenom machine I built, even those that are always running. This bug will occur under some rare occasion and you may suffer from an OS crash well before you'll be hit by this bug. In fact, I pretty sure that for normal desktop operation, you have more chance to win the lottery than to get this bug.

I had a such machine that has been running almost a week without any incident, doing some rendering or some movie editing and other internet stuff for me, flash game for the kid or web surfing for the GF, witheach people having his own session open. All this with a phenom 9500, an ECS motherboard and 4 gigs of RAM. Even Windows 7 beta would not crash. Never..

So, if he can find one Phenom 9600 at good price, it will be a nice improvement.
m
0
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 13, 2010 1:19:34 AM

Going from a 2.8Ghz Athlon X2 to a 2.3Ghz Phenom won't be a big improvement in games.
m
0
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 13, 2010 3:09:04 AM

xzecution3r said:
looking at this - Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology X2 up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt) and the amd athlon II x3 440 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )
the 440 is 95watt. will it work?


Although current AM3 processors have been designed to work in older AM2 motherboards, they won't work unless the manufacturer of the board releases a new BIOS to support the processor. Your board is only listing support for up to Phenom 9600, the newer Athlon II and Phenom II processors won't be recognized by your motherboard, and will likely show up in windows as an unknown processor and only run at 800mhz. HP, like other OEMs, rarely release BIOS updates because they would rather you buy a new computer than upgrade the one you already bought.
m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 13, 2010 4:09:16 AM

xzecution3r said:
looking at this - Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology X2 up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt) and the amd athlon II x3 440 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )
the 440 is 95watt. will it work?

Like I said, since cost doesn't seem an issue to you, just replace the motherboard as well.
m
0
l
!