Sign in with
Your question

HITACHI 1TB Windows 7 Corrupting Drives

Last response: in Storage
June 18, 2012 11:18:12 AM

Hi all, this is my first post here out of disgusting desperation and exhaustion from trying to figure this out myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently had trouble starting up my boot of Windows 7 64bit. It hung on the Starting Windows screen and wouldn't load, wouldn't boot in Safe Mode either. I eventually figured out that if I removed my 1TB Hitachi Internal SATA drive then it would boot, not with my OS on it but just programs and data.

I tried to connect it to my PC through a SATA to USB3 connector but instead of finding the drive it pops up for 5 seconds, says I need to format drive E and then disappears again. It cycles through this every 2 minutes, popping up for 5 seconds and disappearing.

Normally I would write it off as a corrupt drive but this happened to one of my other 2TB drives. Windows wouldn't load with it connected and I had to remove it. This is now twice in 2 months. My main hard drive is a 64gb SSD. (I've also had a 1TB portable drive crash out on me although I think this is unrelated)

So I have a few questions. Is there any way to recover the files from this drive that won't properly read on my PC? Is there anyway I can make it an internal drive again?

Most importantly, have you ever heard of something in a computer system that makes drives corrupt themselves? The older 2TB I get but this 1TB Hitachi was less than 6 months old.

As I said, any help would be fantastic. Thanks guys!
June 18, 2012 3:22:03 PM

First of all, there is no such thing as a computer that corrupt "themselves". :D 

But before that I can answer your question, I have a few ones to ask :

Did you try your "broken" hard drive on a other computer?
Are you sure that your SATA to USB3 connector is properly working?
Do you use a SMART monitoring tool?
Did you change some settings recently?

-Bloc97
a b $ Windows 7
a c 113 G Storage
June 18, 2012 4:20:11 PM

hard drives just write zeros and one to the platters. it could be you have some bad ram or the ram in your system is not working right..i also see power supply with 12v issues kill hard drives before. i would start with open hardware monitor and watch the 12v power supply voltage..see if it higher then atx spec or goes lower. i would also run memtest on the memory and check it to see if it on the mb qal list. also check that you have all your mb bios updates and the sata cables are on the right port. some mb have intel and 3 party sata controlers.
!