After several years of loyal service, my LG Studioworks 560N is going a
bit Pete Tong (keeps squishing the picture horizontally) and it looks
like time for a change.

I'm looking for a good quality CRT that'll do a good job with Thief. It
must be available in the UK, and I'm not sure that I'd be able to
persuade the folks to pay much more than £150 GBP. 19" is the biggest I
can fit, but I'd settle for a smaller one. The 560N is 15".

Any suggestions?

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:08:12 +0000 (UTC), Graham Thurlwell
<nospam@jades.org> wrote:

>I'm looking for a good quality CRT that'll do a good job with Thief. It
>must be available in the UK, and I'm not sure that I'd be able to
>persuade the folks to pay much more than £150 GBP. 19" is the biggest I
>can fit, but I'd settle for a smaller one. The 560N is 15".
>
>Any suggestions?

You might consider getting an LCD instead of a CRT. Their quality has
gone up in recent years while their price has dropped dramatically.
They use less power and take up a lot less desk space than a CRT.

I think Sony recently quit making CRTs for the consumer market.

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> You might consider getting an LCD instead of a CRT.

I would think an LCD would be anathema for a thief player.

rms

MOS

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2004

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>> You might consider getting an LCD instead of a CRT.
>
> I would think an LCD would be anathema for a thief
> player.
> rms

I use a CRT at home, but the one at work is LCD
(yes, when I have free time, I work on a FM at work)
and the only problems are a bit of a slow down when
too many AIs are in the area or turning real fast.

I recently upgraded from a 17" to 19" crt. I purchased a View Sonic
UltraBrite A91f+.

If they are available in the UK take a serious look at it. It's a flat
screen CRT. Very sharp. Vibrant colors and produces the full range of grays
and blacks that Thief requires.

LCD's have limited screen resolutions and only the "native" size is really
in focus, and most of them don't render shades of black very well -- there
is always a backlight haze.

On the 26 Sep 2005, pfw <pfw@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:08:12 +0000 (UTC), Graham Thurlwell
> <nospam@jades.org> wrote:
>

> >I'm looking for a good quality CRT that'll do a good job with Thief. It
> >must be available in the UK, and I'm not sure that I'd be able to
> >persuade the folks to pay much more than £150 GBP. 19" is the biggest I
> >can fit, but I'd settle for a smaller one. The 560N is 15".
> >
> >Any suggestions?
>
> You might consider getting an LCD instead of a CRT. Their quality has
> gone up in recent years while their price has dropped dramatically.
> They use less power and take up a lot less desk space than a CRT.

I've read a few discussions on playing Thief using LCDs on this NG, and
the consensus seems to be that CRT still edges it. The LCD on this
machine (an AOC LM700) is OK, and the Samsung LCD my Dad got for work
recently is very good, but I still prefer the control I get with a CRT
monitor.

Also, a good gaming LCD likely to be well out of my price range.

> I think Sony recently quit making CRTs for the consumer market.

Didn't even know they made CRTs, TBH.

--

On the 26 Sep 2005, Bob Fairbank <rhf28@crosslink.net> wrote:

> I recently upgraded from a 17" to 19" crt. I purchased a View Sonic
> UltraBrite A91f+.

I've just checked the ViewSonic UK site, and it doesn't look like that
model's available here. Other monitors from them are available, though,
and the prices at dabs.com (first UK retailer I checked) are certainly
in the range I think I can get away with.

Of course, it would help if I could get some sense out of my folks as
to what budget I have (they're buying). ;-)

> If they are available in the UK take a serious look at it. It's a flat
> screen CRT. Very sharp. Vibrant colors and produces the full range of grays
> and blacks that Thief requires.
>
> LCD's have limited screen resolutions and only the "native" size is really
> in focus

That's actually one of the main reasons why I decided to avoid LCDs.
I'm likely to play a variety of different games, some of which use
pretty retro modes.

Frontier: First Encounters, for example, normally uses 320x200. Do you
know if your ViewSonic is capable of this? I can force a higher res
using a 3rd party mod, but IMHO it doesn't look as good.

Thanks for the recommendation!

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!

You might try your local stores that sell View Sonic CRTs. That's where I
purchased mine. I"m not sure why but View Sonic uses a different Model ID for
store models vs online purchases even when the actual CRTs are the same. Plus
the store may have sales/rebates. When I bought mine I got a $70 rebate from
View Sonic and a $20 rebate from the Best Buy sore that sold it.

Graham Thurlwell wrote:

> On the 26 Sep 2005, Bob Fairbank <rhf28@crosslink.net> wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded from a 17" to 19" crt. I purchased a View Sonic
> > UltraBrite A91f+.
>
> I've just checked the ViewSonic UK site, and it doesn't look like that
> model's available here. Other monitors from them are available, though,
> and the prices at dabs.com (first UK retailer I checked) are certainly
> in the range I think I can get away with.
>
> Of course, it would help if I could get some sense out of my folks as
> to what budget I have (they're buying). ;-)
>
> > If they are available in the UK take a serious look at it. It's a flat
> > screen CRT. Very sharp. Vibrant colors and produces the full range of grays
> > and blacks that Thief requires.
> >
> > LCD's have limited screen resolutions and only the "native" size is really
> > in focus
>
> That's actually one of the main reasons why I decided to avoid LCDs.
> I'm likely to play a variety of different games, some of which use
> pretty retro modes.
>
> Frontier: First Encounters, for example, normally uses 320x200. Do you
> know if your ViewSonic is capable of this? I can force a higher res
> using a 3rd party mod, but IMHO it doesn't look as good.
>
> Thanks for the recommendation!
>
> --
> Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
> The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.
>
> nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!

LyubinVadim

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
View Sonic LCD Monitor has really fine specs. I use it for almost everything. For me 19 inches and 2 ms of VX922 was a perfect offer, suitable enough to play my favorite games. I enjoy it. Although for working with graphics I prefer to use my old good CRT monitor ;) because of more vivid and live colors… But on my mind it's a good choice for leisure.
...And a price is good for what you get. At least it seems to me so, maybe because I've got my monitor on costupdate site http://www.costupdate.com.