prebenp

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Hi all!

I want to establish a network with my brother who doesn't live with me, so he's not in the same LAN obviously. I want it to be secure, so my ISP isn't able to sniff around in the data exchanged. I like my privacy. My question is what would be the best way to set up such a network?

If it should be of interest my router is an ASUS RT-N16, and both me and my brother are running Win7 Ultimate.

Hope you can help,
PrebenP.

G

I suspect you need to look into VPN -- virtual private networking.

prebenp

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Yeah, I thought that might be the way to go. Would you be able to help me out setting it up? As mentioned my router is an ASUS RT-N16.

G

No idea. Have a look at Netgear's user forum -- any post by the mod there jmizugoshi has links to help on VPN.

I would look into LogMeIn Hamachi specifically. Very cool product. It allows you to create a secured private network pretty easily. It just installs as a virtual network adapter using the 5.x.x.x network. You then add/remove other Hamachi users to your network as you see fit. After that, it's all pretty much transparent. Every member can browse that shared network, share files, printers, just as if you were on the same physical network. And best of all it’s FREE.

prebenp

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

Very nice! I'll check it out when I get home tonight, and post the results :D

It works! Thanks alot man! Problem solved :D

TRENDING THREADS