  • Audio
  • Devices
  • Windows XP
January 15, 2005 11:45:21 AM

Hello to All -

Trying to help a friend with his Windows XP Pro SP2 computer that was
working just fine, but now there is no sound:

**
Sounds and Audio Devices Properties is completely greyed out and instead of
the audio device it shows "No Audio Device"

Everything in Device Manager is ok, no errors, warnings, no problems of any
kind, include the integrated sound chipset.

We have removed, uninstalled and reinstalled devices, drivers, etc., but no
change.

We have installed a separate sound card, which does install, but the greyed
out "No Audio Device" is still there, no sound!

We have verified Windows Audio Service is started (automatic) and the Plug &
Play Software Enumerator files are in tact.

This machine does not produce sound from any source -- system, CD audio,
web-based music -- except the PC speaker.
**

The only thing that may have changed would be something from WindowsUpdate
(automatic updates are turned on) but we cannot be sure about this.

Any help appreciated,
John Murray
<<>>

More about : audio device

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:08:34 PM

Sorry, but I forgot to mention we also tried System Restore, but were unable
to cure the problem using the restore points that were available.

Thanks again,
John Murray
<<>>

"John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
> Hello to All -
>
> Trying to help a friend with his Windows XP Pro SP2 computer that was
> working just fine, but now there is no sound:
>
> **
> Sounds and Audio Devices Properties is completely greyed out and instead
of
> the audio device it shows "No Audio Device"
>
> Everything in Device Manager is ok, no errors, warnings, no problems of
any
> kind, include the integrated sound chipset.
>
> We have removed, uninstalled and reinstalled devices, drivers, etc., but
no
> change.
>
> We have installed a separate sound card, which does install, but the
greyed
> out "No Audio Device" is still there, no sound!
>
> We have verified Windows Audio Service is started (automatic) and the Plug
&
> Play Software Enumerator files are in tact.
>
> This machine does not produce sound from any source -- system, CD audio,
> web-based music -- except the PC speaker.
> **
>
> The only thing that may have changed would be something from WindowsUpdate
> (automatic updates are turned on) but we cannot be sure about this.
>
> Any help appreciated,
> John Murray
> <<>>

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 5:28:46 PM

Have you checked the soundcard manufacturer's website for the latest XP
compatible drivers?

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
> Hello to All -
>
> Trying to help a friend with his Windows XP Pro SP2 computer that was
> working just fine, but now there is no sound:
>
> **
> Sounds and Audio Devices Properties is completely greyed out and instead
> of
> the audio device it shows "No Audio Device"
>
> Everything in Device Manager is ok, no errors, warnings, no problems of
> any
> kind, include the integrated sound chipset.
>
> We have removed, uninstalled and reinstalled devices, drivers, etc., but
> no
> change.
>
> We have installed a separate sound card, which does install, but the
> greyed
> out "No Audio Device" is still there, no sound!
>
> We have verified Windows Audio Service is started (automatic) and the Plug
> &
> Play Software Enumerator files are in tact.
>
> This machine does not produce sound from any source -- system, CD audio,
> web-based music -- except the PC speaker.
> **
>
> The only thing that may have changed would be something from WindowsUpdate
> (automatic updates are turned on) but we cannot be sure about this.
>
> Any help appreciated,
> John Murray
> <<>>

January 17, 2005 10:51:52 PM

Thanks, Michael -- this is an Intel motherboard (D850GB) with integrated
sound, and we have uninstalled then reinstalled the device and driver; this
process goes exactly (and smoothly) as it should, but in the end there is
still no sound. Also, this system (always Win XP Pro, not an upgrade from an
earlier version) worked perfectly for months prior to the sound going out,
so we're still trying to figure out what happened.

During my searches to find something on this problem I've seen literally
dozens of posts to various tech support groups for this same problem, so
perhaps someone will come across the answer and let the rest of us know.

Thank you for your help and your time,
John
<<>>

news:o j9fgPO$EHA.3372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Have you checked the soundcard manufacturer's website for the latest XP
> compatible drivers?
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
> > Hello to All -
> >
> > Trying to help a friend with his Windows XP Pro SP2 computer that was
> > working just fine, but now there is no sound:
> >
> > **
> > Sounds and Audio Devices Properties is completely greyed out and instead
> > of
> > the audio device it shows "No Audio Device"
> >
> > Everything in Device Manager is ok, no errors, warnings, no problems of
> > any
> > kind, include the integrated sound chipset.
> >
> > We have removed, uninstalled and reinstalled devices, drivers, etc., but
> > no
> > change.
> >
> > We have installed a separate sound card, which does install, but the
> > greyed
> > out "No Audio Device" is still there, no sound!
> >
> > We have verified Windows Audio Service is started (automatic) and the
Plug
> > &
> > Play Software Enumerator files are in tact.
> >
> > This machine does not produce sound from any source -- system, CD audio,
> > web-based music -- except the PC speaker.
> > **
> >
> > The only thing that may have changed would be something from
WindowsUpdate
> > (automatic updates are turned on) but we cannot be sure about this.
> >
> > Any help appreciated,
> > John Murray
> > <<>>

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 12:54:12 AM

You're welcome.

You might try the Intel site for updated drivers and/or the system
manufacturer's website as well.

If the system has been updated at all, Windows Updates, other updates, etc.,
it changes the operating environment. Eventually, many devices that have
worked just fine right along end up pushed over the line and require their
drivers to be updated. Assuming the card is properly seated in its slot,
everything you've mentioned points to a driver issue.

--

> Thanks, Michael -- this is an Intel motherboard (D850GB) with integrated
> sound, and we have uninstalled then reinstalled the device and driver;
> this
> process goes exactly (and smoothly) as it should, but in the end there is
> still no sound. Also, this system (always Win XP Pro, not an upgrade from
> an
> earlier version) worked perfectly for months prior to the sound going out,
> so we're still trying to figure out what happened.
>
> During my searches to find something on this problem I've seen literally
> dozens of posts to various tech support groups for this same problem, so
> perhaps someone will come across the answer and let the rest of us know.
>
> Thank you for your help and your time,
> John
> <<>>
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
> news:o j9fgPO$EHA.3372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Have you checked the soundcard manufacturer's website for the latest XP
>> compatible drivers?
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello to All -
>> >
>> > Trying to help a friend with his Windows XP Pro SP2 computer that was
>> > working just fine, but now there is no sound:
>> >
>> > **
>> > Sounds and Audio Devices Properties is completely greyed out and
>> > instead
>> > of
>> > the audio device it shows "No Audio Device"
>> >
>> > Everything in Device Manager is ok, no errors, warnings, no problems of
>> > any
>> > kind, include the integrated sound chipset.
>> >
>> > We have removed, uninstalled and reinstalled devices, drivers, etc.,
>> > but
>> > no
>> > change.
>> >
>> > We have installed a separate sound card, which does install, but the
>> > greyed
>> > out "No Audio Device" is still there, no sound!
>> >
>> > We have verified Windows Audio Service is started (automatic) and the
> Plug
>> > &
>> > Play Software Enumerator files are in tact.
>> >
>> > This machine does not produce sound from any source -- system, CD
>> > audio,
>> > web-based music -- except the PC speaker.
>> > **
>> >
>> > The only thing that may have changed would be something from
> WindowsUpdate
>> > (automatic updates are turned on) but we cannot be sure about this.
>> >
>> > Any help appreciated,
>> > John Murray
>> > <<>>

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 12:45:49 PM

Hello again, Michael -

Thanks for your continuing support -- one thing that may point away from
this being a driver issue is that when we installed a separate, additional
sound card (the default is integrated on the motherboard) it did install
just fine, including the driver from it's CD, but the situation remained the
same: greyed out Sounds and Audio Devices Properties stating "No Audio
Device". Wouldn't this indicate that it is something other than a driver ?

Your help is definitely appreciated,
John
<<>>

> You're welcome.
>
> You might try the Intel site for updated drivers and/or the system
> manufacturer's website as well.
>
> If the system has been updated at all, Windows Updates, other updates,
etc.,
> it changes the operating environment. Eventually, many devices that have
> worked just fine right along end up pushed over the line and require their
> drivers to be updated. Assuming the card is properly seated in its slot,
> everything you've mentioned points to a driver issue.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Michael -- this is an Intel motherboard (D850GB) with integrated
> > sound, and we have uninstalled then reinstalled the device and driver;
> > this
> > process goes exactly (and smoothly) as it should, but in the end there
is
> > still no sound. Also, this system (always Win XP Pro, not an upgrade
from
> > an
> > earlier version) worked perfectly for months prior to the sound going
out,
> > so we're still trying to figure out what happened.
> >
> > During my searches to find something on this problem I've seen literally
> > dozens of posts to various tech support groups for this same problem, so
> > perhaps someone will come across the answer and let the rest of us know.
> >
> > Thank you for your help and your time,
> > John
> > <<>>
> >
> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
> > news:o j9fgPO$EHA.3372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> Have you checked the soundcard manufacturer's website for the latest XP
> >> compatible drivers?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
> >>
> >> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message

> > Plug

> > WindowsUpdate

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 2:49:22 PM

You're welcome.

The installation of an alternative card which had the same issue MIGHT point
to something other than the drivers. However, since the driver were
installed from the CD with which the soundcard shipped, it might well be the
same issue. Drivers become dated quickly which is why we suggest checking
manufacturer's websites for the latest drivers for a device when an issue
such as this comes up. If the latest drivers don't resolve the issue, we
can partially rule out drivers as the cause. In both cases, you were using
the drivers with which the device shipped as opposed to the latest drivers,
hence, both might have the same issue in that regard.

I say partially because the next possibility is that some other device on
the system is conflicting. You would have to resolve that by process of
elimination, disconnecting and otherwise disabling or uninstalling other
devices one by one until you found the culprit.

One of the things you need to check is whether or not the integrated
soundcard was disabled when you added the other card. If it was not, that
could have caused the other card to have the same issue as well.

Something else to consider, if your soundcard and this would apply to both,
had special features or if the computer has features that tie sound in with
the phone for example, you might need to install the latest drivers for the
modem in order to get full function out of the soundcard. I had just such
an issue on one of my systems wherein, the modem software need to be
installed as well. If it wasn't installed, the soundcard would not be fully
implemented and get banged out (appear as disabled) in Device Manger (under
System, the Hardware tab, in Control Panel).

--

> Hello again, Michael -
>
> Thanks for your continuing support -- one thing that may point away from
> this being a driver issue is that when we installed a separate, additional
> sound card (the default is integrated on the motherboard) it did install
> just fine, including the driver from it's CD, but the situation remained
> the
> same: greyed out Sounds and Audio Devices Properties stating "No Audio
> Device". Wouldn't this indicate that it is something other than a driver ?
>
> Your help is definitely appreciated,
> John
> <<>>
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> You're welcome.
>>
>> You might try the Intel site for updated drivers and/or the system
>> manufacturer's website as well.
>>
>> If the system has been updated at all, Windows Updates, other updates,
> etc.,
>> it changes the operating environment. Eventually, many devices that have
>> worked just fine right along end up pushed over the line and require
>> their
>> drivers to be updated. Assuming the card is properly seated in its slot,
>> everything you've mentioned points to a driver issue.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks, Michael -- this is an Intel motherboard (D850GB) with
>> > integrated
>> > sound, and we have uninstalled then reinstalled the device and driver;
>> > this
>> > process goes exactly (and smoothly) as it should, but in the end there
> is
>> > still no sound. Also, this system (always Win XP Pro, not an upgrade
> from
>> > an
>> > earlier version) worked perfectly for months prior to the sound going
> out,
>> > so we're still trying to figure out what happened.
>> >
>> > During my searches to find something on this problem I've seen
>> > literally
>> > dozens of posts to various tech support groups for this same problem,
>> > so
>> > perhaps someone will come across the answer and let the rest of us
>> > know.
>> >
>> > Thank you for your help and your time,
>> > John
>> > <<>>
>> >
>> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> > news:o j9fgPO$EHA.3372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> of

>> > Plug

>> > WindowsUpdate

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:26:46 AM

Thanks again, Michael -

My friend is really frustrated because his sound used to work and now it
doesn't, with seemingly no changes to cause the problem. What he has decided
to do is a complete format/reinstall, so for now I'm going to let him
proceed on his own.

Appreciate your help,
John
<<>>

> [...]
?

> > Your help is definitely appreciated,
> > John
> > <<>>
> >
> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
> >> You're welcome.
> >>
> >> You might try the Intel site for updated drivers and/or the system
> >> manufacturer's website as well.
> >>
> >> If the system has been updated at all, Windows Updates, other updates,
> > etc.,
> >> it changes the operating environment. Eventually, many devices that
have
> >> worked just fine right along end up pushed over the line and require
> >> their
> >> drivers to be updated. Assuming the card is properly seated in its
slot,
> >> everything you've mentioned points to a driver issue.

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 1:50:33 PM

You're welcome.

You friend's approach is a bit drastic considering the problem and he really
has nothing to lose by first checking for the latest XP compatible drivers
from the manufacturer's website.

Here are some things he can do or try before going that far. He may already
have made up his mind but I post them for his benefit and the benefit of
others as formatting doesn't need to be anything but a last resort since XP
offers a number of other options as follows:

In addition to checking for the latest XP compatible drivers from the
manufacturer's website which should be among the first thing a user tries:

First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
virus scan.

Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
www.lavasoftusa.com

If this is a relatively recent issue, you might try using System Restore to
take you back to a time when this worked properly. Start\All
Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore. If that doesn't resolve
it, try the information below.

The following assumes you have an actual XP CD as opposed to a restore CD or
restore partition supplied by your PC manufacturer.

Go to Start, type sfc /scannow in the run box and press enter. Note, there
is a space between sfc and the forward slash. You will be asked for your XP
CD. Be aware, upon inserting the CD the XP setup screen may appear, this is
not a part of sfc /scannow, rather it is being invoked by autorun. Simply
minimize the screen and allow sfc to continue.

If the above fails to resolve the issue, try a repair install as follows:

Be sure you are well backed up in case there is a problem from which you are
unable to recover. NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data
files intact, if something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be
forced to start over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your
data backed up, you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

Boot from the CD. If your system is set to be able to boot from the CD, it
should detect the disk and give a brief message, during the boot up, if you
wish to boot from the CD press any key.

Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
using the Recovery console.

The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
on, follow the screens.

--

> [...]
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello again, Michael -
>> >
>> > Thanks for your continuing support -- one thing that may point away
>> > from
>> > this being a driver issue is that when we installed a separate,
> additional
>> > sound card (the default is integrated on the motherboard) it did
>> > install
>> > just fine, including the driver from it's CD, but the situation
>> > remained
>> > the
>> > same: greyed out Sounds and Audio Devices Properties stating "No Audio
>> > Device". Wouldn't this indicate that it is something other than a

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:31:02 PM

Thanks again, Michael -

I'm going to see my friend Monday, and will bring the print out of our
messages with me.

Appreciate all you've done,
John
<<>>

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:40:37 PM

You're welcome, John, good luck.

--

news:o Duvgj1$EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> Setup
>> will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
>> version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
>> install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
>> on, follow the screens.
>>

>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks again, Michael -
>> >
>> > My friend is really frustrated because his sound used to work and now
>> > it
>> > doesn't, with seemingly no changes to cause the problem. What he has
>> > decided
>> > to do is a complete format/reinstall, so for now I'm going to let him

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:40:49 AM

Hello Michael -

Well, I can't explain why, but here's the steps we took with my friend's PC
that brought back sound:

A) Uninstall and physically remove the modem (generic PCI card)
B) Uninstall and reinstall the driver for the integrated sound device
[this did completely return sound]
C) Reinstall the modem & driver

Everything works, but why I don't know.

Thanks again for your help and your time,
John
<<>>

> [...]
you
> >> wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just
let
> >> setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and
drivers.

> >> Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a
> >> screen
> >> with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
> >> using the Recovery console.
> >>
> >> The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you
> >> press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement.
> > Setup
> >> will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
> >> version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
> >> install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:22:49 PM

As I think I mentioned previously, there often is a "relationship" between
the modem and the soundcard. Even if you don't happen to use the function,
if it is in one of the drivers and for some reason it didn't install when
installing the other device, you can run into issues. Sometimes it only
appears as being an issue in Device Manager while other times, it might
disable the function of one or both devices.

--

> [...]
>
> A) Uninstall and physically remove the modem (generic PCI card)
> B) Uninstall and reinstall the driver for the integrated sound device
> [this did completely return sound]
> C) Reinstall the modem & driver
>
> Everything works, but why I don't know.
>
> Thanks again for your help and your time,
> John
> <<>>
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> You're welcome, John, good luck.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
>> news:o Duvgj1$EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > Thanks again, Michael -
>> >
>> > I'm going to see my friend Monday, and will bring the print out of our

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 4:49:03 PM

While this may be a late addition to this post, I had a very similar problem
following an update gone wrong from the Windows Update site.
I mistakedly OK'd an audio update and should have saved it, gone offline,
turned anti-virus and pop-up blocker off, ah well.
Had the same problem as in this thread.
The stated solution worked great.

Thanks, Glenn

> As I think I mentioned previously, there often is a "relationship" between
> the modem and the soundcard. Even if you don't happen to use the
> function, if it is in one of the drivers and for some reason it didn't
> install when installing the other device, you can run into issues.
> Sometimes it only appears as being an issue in Device Manager while other
> times, it might disable the function of one or both devices.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Michael -
>>
>> Well, I can't explain why, but here's the steps we took with my friend's
>> PC
>> that brought back sound:
>>
>> A) Uninstall and physically remove the modem (generic PCI card)
>> B) Uninstall and reinstall the driver for the integrated sound device
>> [this did completely return sound]
>> C) Reinstall the modem & driver
>>
>> Everything works, but why I don't know.
>>
>> Thanks again for your help and your time,
>> John
>> <<>>
>>
>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>>> You're welcome, John, good luck.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>>
>>> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o Duvgj1$EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

>> of
>> since

>> run

>> Restore

>> CD

>> your
>> this

>> follows:

>> you
>> may

>> the
>> the
>> if

>> CD,

>> you
>> let
>> drivers.

>> there

>> MIGHT
>> well
>> issue,
>> were

>> device
>> process

>> not,

>> in
>> just
>> be

>> away

>> system

>> its

>> end

>> drivers,

>> (automatic)

>> system,

>> about

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 5:59:01 PM

hye john i have exactly the sanme thing as you to a tee, i sugest
reinstalling windows 100 percent wipe all partitions and start afresh

!