No Audio Device

Hello to All -

Trying to help a friend with his Windows XP Pro SP2 computer that was
working just fine, but now there is no sound:

**
Sounds and Audio Devices Properties is completely greyed out and instead of
the audio device it shows "No Audio Device"

Everything in Device Manager is ok, no errors, warnings, no problems of any
kind, include the integrated sound chipset.

We have removed, uninstalled and reinstalled devices, drivers, etc., but no
change.

We have installed a separate sound card, which does install, but the greyed
out "No Audio Device" is still there, no sound!

We have verified Windows Audio Service is started (automatic) and the Plug &
Play Software Enumerator files are in tact.

This machine does not produce sound from any source -- system, CD audio,
web-based music -- except the PC speaker.
**

The only thing that may have changed would be something from WindowsUpdate
(automatic updates are turned on) but we cannot be sure about this.

Any help appreciated,
John Murray
<<>>
14 answers Last reply
More about audio device

    Sorry, but I forgot to mention we also tried System Restore, but were unable
    to cure the problem using the restore points that were available.

    Thanks again,
    John Murray
    <<>>

    "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
    > Hello to All -
    >
    > Trying to help a friend with his Windows XP Pro SP2 computer that was
    > working just fine, but now there is no sound:
    >
    > **
    > Sounds and Audio Devices Properties is completely greyed out and instead
    of
    > the audio device it shows "No Audio Device"
    >
    > Everything in Device Manager is ok, no errors, warnings, no problems of
    any
    > kind, include the integrated sound chipset.
    >
    > We have removed, uninstalled and reinstalled devices, drivers, etc., but
    no
    > change.
    >
    > We have installed a separate sound card, which does install, but the
    greyed
    > out "No Audio Device" is still there, no sound!
    >
    > We have verified Windows Audio Service is started (automatic) and the Plug
    &
    > Play Software Enumerator files are in tact.
    >
    > This machine does not produce sound from any source -- system, CD audio,
    > web-based music -- except the PC speaker.
    > **
    >
    > The only thing that may have changed would be something from WindowsUpdate
    > (automatic updates are turned on) but we cannot be sure about this.
    >
    > Any help appreciated,
    > John Murray
    > <<>>

    Have you checked the soundcard manufacturer's website for the latest XP
    compatible drivers?

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
    > Hello to All -
    >
    > Trying to help a friend with his Windows XP Pro SP2 computer that was
    > working just fine, but now there is no sound:
    >
    > **
    > Sounds and Audio Devices Properties is completely greyed out and instead
    > of
    > the audio device it shows "No Audio Device"
    >
    > Everything in Device Manager is ok, no errors, warnings, no problems of
    > any
    > kind, include the integrated sound chipset.
    >
    > We have removed, uninstalled and reinstalled devices, drivers, etc., but
    > no
    > change.
    >
    > We have installed a separate sound card, which does install, but the
    > greyed
    > out "No Audio Device" is still there, no sound!
    >
    > We have verified Windows Audio Service is started (automatic) and the Plug
    > &
    > Play Software Enumerator files are in tact.
    >
    > This machine does not produce sound from any source -- system, CD audio,
    > web-based music -- except the PC speaker.
    > **
    >
    > The only thing that may have changed would be something from WindowsUpdate
    > (automatic updates are turned on) but we cannot be sure about this.
    >
    > Any help appreciated,
    > John Murray
    > <<>>

    Thanks, Michael -- this is an Intel motherboard (D850GB) with integrated
    sound, and we have uninstalled then reinstalled the device and driver; this
    process goes exactly (and smoothly) as it should, but in the end there is
    still no sound. Also, this system (always Win XP Pro, not an upgrade from an
    earlier version) worked perfectly for months prior to the sound going out,
    so we're still trying to figure out what happened.

    During my searches to find something on this problem I've seen literally
    dozens of posts to various tech support groups for this same problem, so
    perhaps someone will come across the answer and let the rest of us know.

    Thank you for your help and your time,
    John
    <<>>

    > Have you checked the soundcard manufacturer's website for the latest XP
    > compatible drivers?
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello to All -
    > >
    > > Trying to help a friend with his Windows XP Pro SP2 computer that was
    > > working just fine, but now there is no sound:
    > >
    > > **
    > > Sounds and Audio Devices Properties is completely greyed out and instead
    > > of
    > > the audio device it shows "No Audio Device"
    > >
    > > Everything in Device Manager is ok, no errors, warnings, no problems of
    > > any
    > > kind, include the integrated sound chipset.
    > >
    > > We have removed, uninstalled and reinstalled devices, drivers, etc., but
    > > no
    > > change.
    > >
    > > We have installed a separate sound card, which does install, but the
    > > greyed
    > > out "No Audio Device" is still there, no sound!
    > >
    > > We have verified Windows Audio Service is started (automatic) and the
    Plug
    > > &
    > > Play Software Enumerator files are in tact.
    > >
    > > This machine does not produce sound from any source -- system, CD audio,
    > > web-based music -- except the PC speaker.
    > > **
    > >
    > > The only thing that may have changed would be something from
    WindowsUpdate
    > > (automatic updates are turned on) but we cannot be sure about this.
    > >
    > > Any help appreciated,
    > > John Murray
    > > <<>>

    You're welcome.

    You might try the Intel site for updated drivers and/or the system
    manufacturer's website as well.

    If the system has been updated at all, Windows Updates, other updates, etc.,
    it changes the operating environment. Eventually, many devices that have
    worked just fine right along end up pushed over the line and require their
    drivers to be updated. Assuming the card is properly seated in its slot,
    everything you've mentioned points to a driver issue.

    --

    > Thanks, Michael -- this is an Intel motherboard (D850GB) with integrated
    > sound, and we have uninstalled then reinstalled the device and driver;
    > this
    > process goes exactly (and smoothly) as it should, but in the end there is
    > still no sound. Also, this system (always Win XP Pro, not an upgrade from
    > an
    > earlier version) worked perfectly for months prior to the sound going out,
    > so we're still trying to figure out what happened.
    >
    > During my searches to find something on this problem I've seen literally
    > dozens of posts to various tech support groups for this same problem, so
    > perhaps someone will come across the answer and let the rest of us know.
    >
    > Thank you for your help and your time,
    > John
    > <<>>
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> Have you checked the soundcard manufacturer's website for the latest XP
    >> compatible drivers?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello to All -
    >> >
    >> > Trying to help a friend with his Windows XP Pro SP2 computer that was
    >> > working just fine, but now there is no sound:
    >> >
    >> > **
    >> > Sounds and Audio Devices Properties is completely greyed out and
    >> > instead
    >> > of
    >> > the audio device it shows "No Audio Device"
    >> >
    >> > Everything in Device Manager is ok, no errors, warnings, no problems of
    >> > any
    >> > kind, include the integrated sound chipset.
    >> >
    >> > We have removed, uninstalled and reinstalled devices, drivers, etc.,
    >> > but
    >> > no
    >> > change.
    >> >
    >> > We have installed a separate sound card, which does install, but the
    >> > greyed
    >> > out "No Audio Device" is still there, no sound!
    >> >
    >> > We have verified Windows Audio Service is started (automatic) and the
    > Plug
    >> > &
    >> > Play Software Enumerator files are in tact.
    >> >
    >> > This machine does not produce sound from any source -- system, CD
    >> > audio,
    >> > web-based music -- except the PC speaker.
    >> > **
    >> >
    >> > The only thing that may have changed would be something from
    > WindowsUpdate
    >> > (automatic updates are turned on) but we cannot be sure about this.
    >> >
    >> > Any help appreciated,
    >> > John Murray
    >> > <<>>

    Hello again, Michael -

    Thanks for your continuing support -- one thing that may point away from
    this being a driver issue is that when we installed a separate, additional
    sound card (the default is integrated on the motherboard) it did install
    just fine, including the driver from it's CD, but the situation remained the
    same: greyed out Sounds and Audio Devices Properties stating "No Audio
    Device". Wouldn't this indicate that it is something other than a driver ?

    Your help is definitely appreciated,
    John
    <<>>

    > You're welcome.
    >
    > You might try the Intel site for updated drivers and/or the system
    > manufacturer's website as well.
    >
    > If the system has been updated at all, Windows Updates, other updates,
    etc.,
    > it changes the operating environment. Eventually, many devices that have
    > worked just fine right along end up pushed over the line and require their
    > drivers to be updated. Assuming the card is properly seated in its slot,
    > everything you've mentioned points to a driver issue.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, Michael -- this is an Intel motherboard (D850GB) with integrated
    > > sound, and we have uninstalled then reinstalled the device and driver;
    > > this
    > > process goes exactly (and smoothly) as it should, but in the end there
    is
    > > still no sound. Also, this system (always Win XP Pro, not an upgrade
    from
    > > an
    > > earlier version) worked perfectly for months prior to the sound going
    out,
    > > so we're still trying to figure out what happened.
    > >
    > > During my searches to find something on this problem I've seen literally
    > > dozens of posts to various tech support groups for this same problem, so
    > > perhaps someone will come across the answer and let the rest of us know.
    > >
    > > Thank you for your help and your time,
    > > John
    > > <<>>
    > >
    > > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    > >> Have you checked the soundcard manufacturer's website for the latest XP
    > >> compatible drivers?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > >> Windows Shell/User
    > >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    > >>
    > >> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message

    > > Plug

    > > WindowsUpdate

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You're welcome.

    The installation of an alternative card which had the same issue MIGHT point
    to something other than the drivers. However, since the driver were
    installed from the CD with which the soundcard shipped, it might well be the
    same issue. Drivers become dated quickly which is why we suggest checking
    manufacturer's websites for the latest drivers for a device when an issue
    such as this comes up. If the latest drivers don't resolve the issue, we
    can partially rule out drivers as the cause. In both cases, you were using
    the drivers with which the device shipped as opposed to the latest drivers,
    hence, both might have the same issue in that regard.

    I say partially because the next possibility is that some other device on
    the system is conflicting. You would have to resolve that by process of
    elimination, disconnecting and otherwise disabling or uninstalling other
    devices one by one until you found the culprit.

    One of the things you need to check is whether or not the integrated
    soundcard was disabled when you added the other card. If it was not, that
    could have caused the other card to have the same issue as well.

    Something else to consider, if your soundcard and this would apply to both,
    had special features or if the computer has features that tie sound in with
    the phone for example, you might need to install the latest drivers for the
    modem in order to get full function out of the soundcard. I had just such
    an issue on one of my systems wherein, the modem software need to be
    installed as well. If it wasn't installed, the soundcard would not be fully
    implemented and get banged out (appear as disabled) in Device Manger (under
    System, the Hardware tab, in Control Panel).

    --

    > Hello again, Michael -
    >
    > Thanks for your continuing support -- one thing that may point away from
    > this being a driver issue is that when we installed a separate, additional
    > sound card (the default is integrated on the motherboard) it did install
    > just fine, including the driver from it's CD, but the situation remained
    > the
    > same: greyed out Sounds and Audio Devices Properties stating "No Audio
    > Device". Wouldn't this indicate that it is something other than a driver ?
    >
    > Your help is definitely appreciated,
    > John
    > <<>>
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> You're welcome.
    >>
    >> You might try the Intel site for updated drivers and/or the system
    >> manufacturer's website as well.
    >>
    >> If the system has been updated at all, Windows Updates, other updates,
    > etc.,
    >> it changes the operating environment. Eventually, many devices that have
    >> worked just fine right along end up pushed over the line and require
    >> their
    >> drivers to be updated. Assuming the card is properly seated in its slot,
    >> everything you've mentioned points to a driver issue.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks, Michael -- this is an Intel motherboard (D850GB) with
    >> > integrated
    >> > sound, and we have uninstalled then reinstalled the device and driver;
    >> > this
    >> > process goes exactly (and smoothly) as it should, but in the end there
    > is
    >> > still no sound. Also, this system (always Win XP Pro, not an upgrade
    > from
    >> > an
    >> > earlier version) worked perfectly for months prior to the sound going
    > out,
    >> > so we're still trying to figure out what happened.
    >> >
    >> > During my searches to find something on this problem I've seen
    >> > literally
    >> > dozens of posts to various tech support groups for this same problem,
    >> > so
    >> > perhaps someone will come across the answer and let the rest of us
    >> > know.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you for your help and your time,
    >> > John
    >> > <<>>
    >> >
    >> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message

    > of

    >> > Plug

    >> > WindowsUpdate

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thanks again, Michael -

    My friend is really frustrated because his sound used to work and now it
    doesn't, with seemingly no changes to cause the problem. What he has decided
    to do is a complete format/reinstall, so for now I'm going to let him
    proceed on his own.

    Appreciate your help,
    John
    <<>>

> [...]
    ?

    > > Your help is definitely appreciated,
    > > John
    > > <<>>
    > >
    > > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    > >> You're welcome.
    > >>
    > >> You might try the Intel site for updated drivers and/or the system
    > >> manufacturer's website as well.
    > >>
    > >> If the system has been updated at all, Windows Updates, other updates,
    > > etc.,
    > >> it changes the operating environment. Eventually, many devices that
    have
    > >> worked just fine right along end up pushed over the line and require
    > >> their
    > >> drivers to be updated. Assuming the card is properly seated in its
    slot,
    > >> everything you've mentioned points to a driver issue.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You're welcome.

    You friend's approach is a bit drastic considering the problem and he really
    has nothing to lose by first checking for the latest XP compatible drivers
    from the manufacturer's website.

    Here are some things he can do or try before going that far. He may already
    have made up his mind but I post them for his benefit and the benefit of
    others as formatting doesn't need to be anything but a last resort since XP
    offers a number of other options as follows:

    In addition to checking for the latest XP compatible drivers from the
    manufacturer's website which should be among the first thing a user tries:

    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com

    If this is a relatively recent issue, you might try using System Restore to
    take you back to a time when this worked properly. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore. If that doesn't resolve
    it, try the information below.

    The following assumes you have an actual XP CD as opposed to a restore CD or
    restore partition supplied by your PC manufacturer.

    Go to Start, type sfc /scannow in the run box and press enter. Note, there
    is a space between sfc and the forward slash. You will be asked for your XP
    CD. Be aware, upon inserting the CD the XP setup screen may appear, this is
    not a part of sfc /scannow, rather it is being invoked by autorun. Simply
    minimize the screen and allow sfc to continue.

    If the above fails to resolve the issue, try a repair install as follows:

    Be sure you are well backed up in case there is a problem from which you are
    unable to recover. NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data
    files intact, if something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be
    forced to start over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your
    data backed up, you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
    system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    Boot from the CD. If your system is set to be able to boot from the CD, it
    should detect the disk and give a brief message, during the boot up, if you
    wish to boot from the CD press any key.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    --

> [...]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello again, Michael -
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your continuing support -- one thing that may point away
    >> > from
    >> > this being a driver issue is that when we installed a separate,
    > additional
    >> > sound card (the default is integrated on the motherboard) it did
    >> > install
    >> > just fine, including the driver from it's CD, but the situation
    >> > remained
    >> > the
    >> > same: greyed out Sounds and Audio Devices Properties stating "No Audio
    >> > Device". Wouldn't this indicate that it is something other than a

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thanks again, Michael -

    I'm going to see my friend Monday, and will bring the print out of our
    messages with me.

    Appreciate all you've done,
    John
    <<>>

> [...]
    > >> that
    > >> could have caused the other card to have the same issue as well.
    > >>
    > >> Something else to consider, if your soundcard and this would apply to
    > > both,
    > >> had special features or if the computer has features that tie sound in
    > > with
    > >> the phone for example, you might need to install the latest drivers for
    > > the
    > >> modem in order to get full function out of the soundcard. I had just
    > >> such
    > >> an issue on one of my systems wherein, the modem software need to be
    > >> installed as well. If it wasn't installed, the soundcard would not be
    > > fully
    > >> implemented and get banged out (appear as disabled) in Device Manger
    > > (under
    > >> System, the Hardware tab, in Control Panel).

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You're welcome, John, good luck.

    --

> [...]
    > Setup
    >> will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    >> version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    >> install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    >> on, follow the screens.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks again, Michael -
    >> >
    >> > My friend is really frustrated because his sound used to work and now
    >> > it
    >> > doesn't, with seemingly no changes to cause the problem. What he has
    >> > decided
    >> > to do is a complete format/reinstall, so for now I'm going to let him

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Hello Michael -

    Well, I can't explain why, but here's the steps we took with my friend's PC
    that brought back sound:

    A) Uninstall and physically remove the modem (generic PCI card)
    B) Uninstall and reinstall the driver for the integrated sound device
    [this did completely return sound]
    C) Reinstall the modem & driver

    Everything works, but why I don't know.

    Thanks again for your help and your time,
    John
    <<>>

> [...]
    you
    > >> wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just
    let
    > >> setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and
    drivers.

    > >> Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a
    > >> screen
    > >> with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    > >> using the Recovery console.
    > >>
    > >> The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you
    > >> press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement.
    > > Setup
    > >> will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    > >> version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    > >> install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    As I think I mentioned previously, there often is a "relationship" between
    the modem and the soundcard. Even if you don't happen to use the function,
    if it is in one of the drivers and for some reason it didn't install when
    installing the other device, you can run into issues. Sometimes it only
    appears as being an issue in Device Manager while other times, it might
    disable the function of one or both devices.

    --

> [...]
    > that brought back sound:
    >
    > A) Uninstall and physically remove the modem (generic PCI card)
    > B) Uninstall and reinstall the driver for the integrated sound device
    > [this did completely return sound]
    > C) Reinstall the modem & driver
    >
    > Everything works, but why I don't know.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help and your time,
    > John
    > <<>>
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> You're welcome, John, good luck.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks again, Michael -
    >> >
    >> > I'm going to see my friend Monday, and will bring the print out of our

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    While this may be a late addition to this post, I had a very similar problem
    following an update gone wrong from the Windows Update site.
    I mistakedly OK'd an audio update and should have saved it, gone offline,
    turned anti-virus and pop-up blocker off, ah well.
    Had the same problem as in this thread.
    The stated solution worked great.

    Thanks, Glenn

    > As I think I mentioned previously, there often is a "relationship" between
    > the modem and the soundcard. Even if you don't happen to use the
    > function, if it is in one of the drivers and for some reason it didn't
    > install when installing the other device, you can run into issues.
    > Sometimes it only appears as being an issue in Device Manager while other
    > times, it might disable the function of one or both devices.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello Michael -
    >>
    >> Well, I can't explain why, but here's the steps we took with my friend's
    >> PC
    >> that brought back sound:
    >>
    >> A) Uninstall and physically remove the modem (generic PCI card)
    >> B) Uninstall and reinstall the driver for the integrated sound device
    >> [this did completely return sound]
    >> C) Reinstall the modem & driver
    >>
    >> Everything works, but why I don't know.
    >>
    >> Thanks again for your help and your time,
    >> John
    >> <<>>
    >>
    >> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >>> You're welcome, John, good luck.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>>
    >>> "John Murray" <john@MurrayComputing.com> wrote in message

    >> of
    >> since

    >> run

    >> Restore

    >> CD

    >> your
    >> this

    >> follows:

    >> you
    >> may

    >> the
    >> the
    >> if

    >> CD,

    >> you
    >> let
    >> drivers.

    >> there

    >> MIGHT
    >> well
    >> issue,
    >> were

    >> device
    >> process

    >> not,

    >> in
    >> just
    >> be

    >> away

    >> system

    >> its

    >> end

    >> drivers,

    >> (automatic)

    >> system,

    >> about

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    hye john i have exactly the sanme thing as you to a tee, i sugest
    reinstalling windows 100 percent wipe all partitions and start afresh

    "John Murray" wrote:

    > Hello to All -
    >
    > Trying to help a friend with his Windows XP Pro SP2 computer that was
    > working just fine, but now there is no sound:
    >
    > **
    > Sounds and Audio Devices Properties is completely greyed out and instead of
    > the audio device it shows "No Audio Device"
    >
    > Everything in Device Manager is ok, no errors, warnings, no problems of any
    > kind, include the integrated sound chipset.
    >
    > We have removed, uninstalled and reinstalled devices, drivers, etc., but no
    > change.
    >
    > We have installed a separate sound card, which does install, but the greyed
    > out "No Audio Device" is still there, no sound!
    >
    > We have verified Windows Audio Service is started (automatic) and the Plug &
    > Play Software Enumerator files are in tact.
    >
    > This machine does not produce sound from any source -- system, CD audio,
    > web-based music -- except the PC speaker.
    > **
    >
    > The only thing that may have changed would be something from WindowsUpdate
    > (automatic updates are turned on) but we cannot be sure about this.
    >
    > Any help appreciated,
    > John Murray
    > <<>>

Configuration Audio Devices Windows XP