Sign in with
Your question

Final check for $850 gaming build.

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2010 9:12:19 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:This Week BUDGET:$850-900, primary concern is getting the best price-performance ratio.
SYSTEM USAGE BY IMPORTANCE:Gaming Gaming Gaming. I will also be using it for some photo editing stuff but not in any super CPU crunchy capacity. Multitasking not important
PARTS NOT REQUIRED:Optical drive, monitor, mouse & keyboard, case
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I am partial to newegg but I will shop wherever the best deal is.
PARTS PREFERENCE: Open to suggestions. In this price range probably going to be an AMD build. Reliable brands with good warranties.
OVERCLOCKING: Very conservative CPU overclock just for a little bump. Not experienced with OC. SLI/Xfire: Yes, as an upgrade path option 1 or 2 years down the line.
DISPLAY RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

I've made some threads and done my research, these are the "final" parts list I've come up with for my build. I'd like some additional comments, suggestions, or pointing out of stupid mistakes before I pull the trigger.

CPU: Phenom II X3 720 BE- $110
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212+ -$28
GPU: XFX HD5850 1GB- $314 ($276 after bing cashback)
PSU: Corsair 650TX- $70
MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600-$110
MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 790X- $110, SATA 6gb/s and USB 3.0 not needed
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3- $55

Total:$858
Related resources
May 5, 2010 9:22:33 PM

I have heard varying opinions on RAM. Is the CAS7 really noticeable enough to warrant the extra cost?

Can't I just get some more PCIE cables and hook them up to the molex plugs instead of buying a more expensive PSU?

To be honest I have had the hardest time deciding between a 5770 and a 5850. The 5850 fits in my budget but it's overkill for what I need right now.
m
l
May 5, 2010 10:24:57 PM

If you plan on sticking with that resolution, you could probably just stick with a XFX 5770. The XXX Edition costs just as much. And then you could even bump that processor up to a 955

You'd also be able to stick with that PSU, too without needing any extra cables if you were to crossfire later on down the line as the 5770 only needs one 6-pin connector.

After all that you save around 60 dollars.
m
l
May 6, 2010 6:42:35 AM

if you have the slightly inclination of eventually upgrading the monitor go with the 5850, i fell if your not going, to be doing very cpu heavy tasks, just go ahead and beef up on gpu for an eventual monitor upgrade. I would also side with you on the ram, not really that important, performance wise it's nearly impossible to notice,

m
l
!