Sign in with
Your question

Bad reviews about asrock extreme 4 p67

Last response: in Motherboards
January 20, 2011 3:34:55 AM

I just went to newegg to read about asrock extreme 4 p67 motherboard.

Almost everyone said you need to update bios from 1.0 into 1.3 otherwise your CPU would overheat when you OC.

I am sure everyone using p67 wants to OC their CPU.

Does this mean updating bios is a must?

I heard that bios update is kinda dangerous and PC noobs shouldn't try.

Are these all true? Should I have alternative p67 that doesn't need any updates and still run well?
January 20, 2011 2:09:31 PM

i think you will not find any motherboard that not need BIOS update :) 

just read BIOS update instructions and update is normal but don't switch power off until you finish the update
m
l
January 20, 2011 2:45:52 PM

I see, I will read the instruction.
By the way, do I need to update it before I install windows OS or is it done while windows is on?
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2011 8:51:44 PM

joonkimdmd said:
By the way, do I need to update it before I install windows OS or is it done while windows is on?
You need to read and follow the directions carefully. They will answer your question.

There are probably a couple different ways to update your BIOS so you will want to choose the one that makes the most sense to you.

HTH,
hank
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
January 21, 2011 11:15:54 AM

There are a couple of ways to update the BIOS. Most boards now have a utility that will let you update the BIOS from inside Window. You can also boot from a floppy and update from there without entering Windows. This is safer but a little more trouble. The key word here is "safer".

Anyway, there is a good chance that you will not need to update the BIOS. BIOS changes are nearly always slipstreamed into the boards during production.

I always recommend updating the BIOS late at night on a clear night (no thunderstorm :) ) if you do not have a UPS. Power grid seems a little more stable.

When you get the motherboard, read the directions very carefully. If you do not understand any part of the directions, stop and ask someone.

Updating a BIOS is dangerous. You can ruin your motherboard. Do not proceed until you understand exactly what you need to do every step of the way.
m
l
!