Bad reviews about asrock extreme 4 p67

joonkimdmd

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I just went to newegg to read about asrock extreme 4 p67 motherboard.

Almost everyone said you need to update bios from 1.0 into 1.3 otherwise your CPU would overheat when you OC.

I am sure everyone using p67 wants to OC their CPU.

Does this mean updating bios is a must?

I heard that bios update is kinda dangerous and PC noobs shouldn't try.

Are these all true? Should I have alternative p67 that doesn't need any updates and still run well?

Saher

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
i think you will not find any motherboard that not need BIOS update :)

just read BIOS update instructions and update is normal but don't switch power off until you finish the update

HankB99

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
You need to read and follow the directions carefully. They will answer your question.

There are probably a couple different ways to update your BIOS so you will want to choose the one that makes the most sense to you.

HTH,
hank

There are a couple of ways to update the BIOS. Most boards now have a utility that will let you update the BIOS from inside Window. You can also boot from a floppy and update from there without entering Windows. This is safer but a little more trouble. The key word here is "safer".

Anyway, there is a good chance that you will not need to update the BIOS. BIOS changes are nearly always slipstreamed into the boards during production.

I always recommend updating the BIOS late at night on a clear night (no thunderstorm :)) if you do not have a UPS. Power grid seems a little more stable.

When you get the motherboard, read the directions very carefully. If you do not understand any part of the directions, stop and ask someone.

Updating a BIOS is dangerous. You can ruin your motherboard. Do not proceed until you understand exactly what you need to do every step of the way.