Sign in with
Your question

2TB ok externally, wont boot internally

Last response: in Storage
June 18, 2012 11:51:40 AM

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time out to read/hopefully help!

So I'm experiencing a weird problem:

I have 2x WD Green 2TB drives (pre-flooding models) that are acting up. Initially they were both working fine internally, I was using them as logical drives for media storage (everything backed up) then one of them stopped and said I had to format it in order to use it. I did do a full format and also ran a full chkdsk and neither turned up any errors. After the format it was working fine internally, however when I connected it externally via a usb docking station, it again said I had to format in order to use.

After formatting the drive via the external usb dock, it once again worked. However, if I connect it (externally) to another computer (via the same/or a different usb dock) it again says I have to format it.

And now when I attach it internally via sata to my motherboard, my computer is no longer able to boot. It just hangs and I can't even enter the uefi to check whether the drive is recognized.

I would've suspected that it's a dying drive, but the same story happened with my other 2TB drive. Once I formatted it externally it will no longer boot internally :( 

I have a few other drives laying around but I don't want to risk losing them too, so any advice is much appreciated!
a b G Storage
June 18, 2012 12:55:12 PM

I would suggest installing the drives via SATA (Internally) then formatting them. I also use a dock but I can't say that I trust it absolutely.
m
l
June 18, 2012 2:02:52 PM

Since it's already formatted and there's no data to worry about why not trya firmware update or even just a reflash incase there's an issue with the smart attributes?
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 7:35:49 PM

ngrego said:
I would suggest installing the drives via SATA (Internally) then formatting them. I also use a dock but I can't say that I trust it absolutely.

Yes I would very much like to do that, but as I said the computer is no longer able to boot when the dodgy HDD's are connected via Sata, so I can't format them internally.

plasmastorm said:
Since it's already formatted and there's no data to worry about why not trya firmware update or even just a reflash incase there's an issue with the smart attributes?

Thx, a friend of mine also suggested this so I'm gonna go ahead and try it, although I hadn't heard of HDD flashing prior to now. Oh well, nothing trusty ol' google can't help solve (except for this stupid HDD problem). Btw, I did run WD's WinDlg checker and it says the HDD's passed the SMART test so...?
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:52:10 AM

A bit of further info: when I connect the HDD's to a new computer and it aks me to format, this is how it looks in windows disk management:

m
l
a b G Storage
June 22, 2012 7:21:48 AM

Did that new computer have any problem recognising the disks?
Could you see the content of the drive on the new pc?
Try doing a format (not quick) and then reconnecting it to your pc.
See how that goes and we can take it from there.
m
l
June 22, 2012 12:11:44 PM

Other computers recognise the disks fine, but they can't open them and ask for a format. After doing a format (either full or quick - I've tried both), the HDDs work perfectly on that machine. If I plug them into any other computer (externally), I have to format them again to use..

And if I plug directly into the mobo, my system wont boot anymore until I unplug :( 
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
June 22, 2012 12:35:28 PM

I think your problem is with that "Raw" partition.

Need to run diskpart and remove ALL partitions.
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Need to start diskpart from a Cmd Propmt (opened with AS admin.)

From command prompt
Diskpart Enter
List disk (to show available drives)
select disk[=n] n is the disk number shown above.
Use the select disk command to set the focus to the disk that has the specified Windows NT disk number. If you do not specify a disk number, the command displays the current in-focus disk.
detail disk To verify you have selected the correct drive
clean [all]Use the clean command to remove partition or volume formatting from the current in-focus disk by zeroing sectors. By default, only the MBR or GPT partitioning information and any hidden sector information on MBR disks is overwritten. If you specify the all parameter, each and every sector can be zeroed, and all data that is contained on the drive can be deleted.
exit To exit program
Refer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415
m
l
!