Sign in with
Your question

How do you make sure your HSF doesn't overhang your RAM slots?

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2010 9:46:02 PM

Basically I'm wondering if there is any way to tell before buying, with a given combination of HSF and mobo whether or not the HSF will overhang the RAM slots on the motherboard.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2010 11:53:33 PM

That's a good question, but it's hard to find solid answers because each motherboard is different. RAM height is an important factor there, because most RAM will fit below most HSF's. I use Corsair DHX with those belligerent heat spreaders, and my AC F7 barely fits.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a c 156 V Motherboard
May 6, 2010 5:59:39 AM

jack is right. Most RAM will fit below most HSF's.

What motherboard, cooler, RAM combination are you considering?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2010 6:30:14 AM

Well, with some or all Noctua coolers, they have a list of RAMs which will fit underneath the cooler lol. Generally though, all RAM, except G.Skill PI & Trident series, Corsair Dominator/Dominator GT etc. and those with very tall heatsinks (some Patriot Vipers IIRC too) will fit underneath most if not all heatsinks. Ones without heatspreaders will definitely fit underneath the HSF.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2010 6:58:24 AM

Sometimes you could just also rotate the heatsink (so it would face the psu rather than the back case fan).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2010 9:34:42 AM

As written by those before me..
Mobos, RAMs, and proc fans all of them have different dimensions or size.
It is hard to say 100% if it is problematic to install or if it is problem free.

Most of the time, you won't face the problem installing mobo, extra fan and ram.
See the compatibility list if it exists and you can try to rotate the fan to avoid the problem.
The worst case is, you have to return the fan to the store and buy another one.
So don't be afraid to try. :) 
m
l
May 6, 2010 2:14:52 PM

I have used the hope and pray method before my current build uses a coolermaster tx3 with two 92mm fans that hang over my ram.Most ram short of Ocz Reaper will fit.
m
l
May 6, 2010 4:05:31 PM

Well, for my current build I used an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro on a GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard with G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 CL9 RAM, and the RAM would not fit under the HSF. I built this back in November though. I'm considering helping out a few friends with their builds but don't want to end up looking like an idiot because I get a combination such that the RAM won't even fit under the HSF.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2010 7:52:59 PM

Try fitting it, see if or where its going to catch, then angle grind the hell out of the offending part :)  or hacksaw........
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2010 10:49:12 PM

Uniqueuponhim said:
Well, for my current build I used an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro on a GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard with G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 CL9 RAM, and the RAM would not fit under the HSF. I built this back in November though. I'm considering helping out a few friends with their builds but don't want to end up looking like an idiot because I get a combination such that the RAM won't even fit under the HSF.

Just goes to show how many variables there are in that equation. I think the DHX sticks are even taller than the ripjaws, and they fit in my setup. I had to strategically "maneuver" (bend) the very bottom fin a tad, but it all worked out.
m
l
!