LCD vs TV

remixer31

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Hello to all,
Blessings to this site it has helped me a lot so i figured i come on here for my next dilemma,
I got a Asus EAH5770 card , Im running a simple dual set up with 2 19" wide screen monitors , I want to get something bigger like in the range of 24"-26" but i dont know if i should get a tv with a pc input like this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174%3B+-+24%22+Class+/+720p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9539109.p?id=1218121201966&skuId=9539109

or

a regular widescreen computer monitor

i figured the tv so i can take advantage of the HDMI feature my card has and just keep one of the 19" screens on the side also connected , plus it can double as a reg tv also

keep in mind its for a recording studio i will be about 3 feet away from the screen

anyone has a set up like this?
TV or reg monitor?
any suggestions or help would be appreciated

specs: intel i7 920 , 4 gig ram , asus eah5770 , asus p7p557d deluxe , win xp sp2

ScoobyJooby-Jew

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I use a 19" sharp lcd tv. I like it. I use a DVI->VGA, or whatever the pc input on my tv is. I run in 1360x768. I had overscan issues when I tried using HDMI. I didn't bother to try and fix it, because I use the HDMI port on the tv for my PS3 anyways. I will say that the HDMI looked better at the same resolutions though compared to the DVI->VGA. And I was able to get WoW to run smoothly at 1080i with settings maxed. I don't remember the exact framerate, but it was consistently above 30 fps

multiscreenz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I'd get an HDTV rather than a Large 27" or 30" Monitor because most of those will take your entire video card ports. They require Dual Link DVI. With the TV you get the same resolution and crispness but you only have to use one video output and you can use the other for another smaller monitor.

Starges

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I alway opt for a LCD monitor plus a combo box since its cheaper, rather than purchase a HDTV.

I know it sound skinda cheap but hey, i don't even watch that much TV anyway :lol:

randomkid

Distinguished
I got a dual monitor set-up connected to my HD4890 which have dual DVI output. I connect my 17" monitor via a DVI to VGA converter on one & a full HDTV 32" Connected on the other via DVI to VGA converter going to its RGB input. This works great for me and the picture in the TV is great.
Before this, I tried to connect the full HDTV via a DVI to HDMI cable going to its HDMI port but the image is not as good as if via the RGB. I have the same experience on my other motherboard ( an ECS GF8200A) which have an HDMI output that I connected directly via an HDMI cable. The picture is also not as good.
Thus, I just kept the connection to my Full HDTV via VGA cable thru the RGB input port and I am happy with it.

Meanwhile, my wife use a 23" FullHDTV as 2nd monitor to her laptop. But she use it more often to watch TV and use the small laptop screen for browsing and playing simple games ( plants vs zombies, madcaps & the likes ). She only use the TV as laptop monitor if she wants to look at wikimapia where the full HD helps displays bigger area in the map.

I also used the same TV as workstation and I like how I can put two documents side by side at 100% size and dont have to switch windows when referrring to it.

Yours
You are basically buying a monitor with a built in TV tuner for not much money. The HDTV's I have seen in the size range you are talking about are none brand names like DYNEX (bestbuy) and usually are more expensive than monitors.

remixer31

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Thanks, I see what you mean by the built in tuner thing , i figured id skip the dynex there's not a lot there compared to the viewsonic , but now im really diggin the Lg 23" you got, only drawback is no pc via hdmi , but i will still consider it since the viewsonic is also the same but i need to look into it further

randomkid

Distinguished
Do not worry about lack of HDMI port. The RGB or DVI input will display just as good if not better than HDMI. As I mentioned in my earlier post, when I connect my PC to the the HDMI input of my full HD TV, the picture quality is not as good as when I connect via the RGB.

remixer31

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009

Thanks ,Your right, I see the light now.I've been reading horror stories with the hdmi port's via the graphics cards , they just give alot of issues and some just entirely give up on the option , i guess its a lot of hype until the manufactures get it right all together , and by that time there will be something new on the market

thanks again