Sign in with
Your question

How can i improve frame rates and resoloution with my old computer?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 20, 2011 8:15:45 AM

Hey guys,
so, i got an old computer as a hand me down when my brother got a new one. im kind of a noob when it comes to this kinda stuff. he gave it to me so we could play WoW together, the frame rate is generally 15 to 20 whith all the settings on lowest possible and/or disabled. im wondering if there is anything i can do to squeeze all the power i can out of this thing without spending much (a few hundred max?) money. Are there recommended settings i should be using? Or if i just throw another gig of RAM into it will that help improve this graphics? Or am i just stuck playing it as it is,and like i said 15-20 fps at 1024x768 isnt horrible. but it would be nice to be able to bump SOME settings up! i love to play games and i have a huge stash of old computer games that i wouldnt mind dusting off.

here is what i know about it

Motherboard: Asus P4c800e
Bios: American Megatrends inc (version 1016.001, Date: 02/23/2004)
Chipset: Intel i875pe
Processor: intel pentium 4 @3200 mhz
physical memory: 1024 MB(2x512 DDR SDRAM)
Video card: Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT (256mb i believe, Drivers are from 08/06/04) AGP bus type
Operating System: Windows Xp Pro (service pack 3)
DirectX: 9c

im not sure what else i should put down so feel free to ask questions.

ive tried making sure there is minimal stuff running in the background while playing. there are just so many things im not sure what they are for. im afraid to go start changing to many settings because i dont have and restore disks or any thing besides the system restore to rely on. any help would be very much appreciated! am i even posting this in the right area?
January 20, 2011 2:03:38 PM

yeah, i would probably buy more RAM and a new video card, thats about as far as im willing to go. any more and i feel like i might as well just go buy a new computer if i were to buy a better video card + another gig of RAM where would the bottleneck be?
as far as which PSU i have im not sure. where would i be able to look?
m
l
!