Sign in with
Your question

More questions

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2010 10:39:01 PM

I recieved some of my components today. My Mobo will be here friday, but I'm running through connectors and what not in my head.

A couple of things. My Tuniq Tower 120 has two connectors off of it. One, a brown 3 pin connector, and two, a square, 4 pin connector. I'm assuming the 3 pin goes into the cpu fan connector on the mobo. The square one, I'm not so sure of. My motherboard, the ASUS M4A89GTD has 4 fan connectors. Power Fan, CPU Fan, and two Chassis fan connectors. The CPU is a rectangular 4 pin, which is backwards compatible with the 3 pin. So as far as that goes, my question is, where does the OTHER wire coming off of my cooler go?

Secondly, with two chassis fan connectors that are controlled by the motherboard, are any two fans in particular recommended for this? Maybe two fans on the side of the case blowing right on the mobo? I'm assuming the rest of the Chassis fans will be plugged into the PSU with Molex connectors.

Lasttly, I have a Corsair TX650, is the fan run by the mobo and not the PSU itself? I plugged the PSU in to a surge protector and I got nothing -- So just checking.

I appreciate the responses and the patience.

Thanks
Josh

More about : questions

May 5, 2010 10:52:16 PM

I'm sorry, the other connection come off of the cooler is a 2 pin, not a 4 pin. I'm assuming this is the rheostat. The other goes to the cpu fan connector, I'm sure. Just NOT so sure as to where the two wire plug goes.
Related resources
May 6, 2010 12:32:40 AM

Jack covered #1...

2nd... I see no reason to connect a case fan to your motherboard. You will receive little benefit by doing so. In all of my builds, I have only used a motherboard connector on one build for a side fan to get better cable management.

3rd... You PSU is controlled by the PSU but your PSU won't start without receiving a single from the motherboard (case power button). If you want to see it turns on or your case fans, you can plug things into the PSU and jump it by placing a paperclip in the green wire slot and a black wire slot. This will jump the PSU to kick on without the motherboard single.
May 6, 2010 12:54:22 AM

Duh, That was too easy. Connecting the fan control. I'm over complicating things.

And that makes sense about the PSU, thank you. I'm gettin ancy! :bounce: 
May 6, 2010 4:17:14 AM

tecmo34 said:
Jack covered #1...

2nd... I see no reason to connect a case fan to your motherboard. You will receive little benefit by doing so. In all of my builds, I have only used a motherboard connector on one build for a side fan to get better cable management.

3rd... You PSU is controlled by the PSU but your PSU won't start without receiving a single from the motherboard (case power button). If you want to see it turns on or your case fans, you can plug things into the PSU and jump it by placing a paperclip in the green wire slot and a black wire slot. This will jump the PSU to kick on without the motherboard single.

One more quick question, In reference to the case fans - monitoring their speeds isn't too important?
May 6, 2010 9:22:29 AM

jbjarko said:
One more quick question, In reference to the case fans - monitoring their speeds isn't too important?

IMO... It is not important outside of controlling noise levels. It will allow you to adjust speeds to have the fans run slower if needed be for less noise. A lot of newer cases have that feature/control already built into the fans, example... My Antec 1200 has speed control for all of it's fans (Slow - Med - High). You adjust the speed to meet your cooling & noise level needs.
!