• Flash Media
  • USB Drive
  • USB
  • Format
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 18, 2012 2:40:15 PM

Hello,
my usb dirve is saying it is not recognized and needs to be formatted. If I format it will erase all of my files. What can I do to recover my files?

More about : usb drive formatted

Best solution

June 18, 2012 7:03:03 PM

Not to worry, this should be straightforward. Although feel free to ask again if the following method does not work.

Firstly, find out the drive letter that your USB stick is. Let's say for argument's sake that it is the F drive.

Go to the start menu, and search for "run". Open that and type CMD. Depending on your Windows version, you can simply type CMD into the search bar and open the Command Prompt.

When this is open, type the following, without the brackets: [Chkdsk F: /r] Also remember that I am using the letter F as a reference, yours may be another but you can find it in My Computer.

Back to the point, when you have pressed enter, it will start repairing damaged files and you will see some of your filenames (relief!) before it finally asks if you want to save lost chains into another location. These are essentially remnants of damaged files, I tend to click "Yes" just in case.

Your USB drive should now be working, please let me know how you get on!

July 1, 2012 2:34:48 PM

it says a disk error occurred during the writing of the file allocation table
m
l
Related resources
July 5, 2012 8:03:40 AM

tlaudicina said:
Hello,
my usb dirve is saying it is not recognized and needs to be formatted. If I format it will erase all of my files. What can I do to recover my files?

solution one: reboot your pc, link your usb drive to pc again, if it dose not work, try another computer. Sometimes this will work, if don't, try solution two.
solution two: download a free data recovery software, restore your files to another usb drive. Generally speaking, all your lost files will be recovered.
solution three: when the file recovery is finished, you'd better check your usb drive.
1.Link it to your pc, right-click on your usb drive letter in "my computer"
2.Select "property", find "hard drive" and select your usb drive in"name", hit "property"
3.Select "strategy" and then "optimization" in the property dialog.
4.Wait till the optimization is finished. Hit "Confirm" and reboot your pc.
5. Format your usb drive.
If solution three dose not work, perhaps your usb chip is damaged, buy a new one.
m
l
July 14, 2012 1:02:20 AM

Hi
generally this problem will occur to everybody who all are using usb drives.Because in day to day life usb can be used in everyone's work life.So there will be a chance of virus attack on those usb drives. No need to worry about lost data because there is one data recovery software is there to retrieve lost data from usb drive. what you need to do download the software and install it in your system. Then follow simple steps to recover your lost data.
m
l
November 24, 2012 2:59:47 AM

tprezzle said:
Not to worry, this should be straightforward. Although feel free to ask again if the following method does not work.

Firstly, find out the drive letter that your USB stick is. Let's say for argument's sake that it is the F drive.

Go to the start menu, and search for "run". Open that and type CMD. Depending on your Windows version, you can simply type CMD into the search bar and open the Command Prompt.

When this is open, type the following, without the brackets: [Chkdsk F: /r] Also remember that I am using the letter F as a reference, yours may be another but you can find it in My Computer.

Back to the point, when you have pressed enter, it will start repairing damaged files and you will see some of your filenames (relief!) before it finally asks if you want to save lost chains into another location. These are essentially remnants of damaged files, I tend to click "Yes" just in case.

Hi! I tried this and I'm getting a "The type of the file system is RAW. Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives. HELP!!!
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:49:01 AM

strawlchetty said:
solution one: reboot your pc, link your usb drive to pc again, if it dose not work, try another computer. Sometimes this will work, if don't, try solution two.
solution two: download a free data recovery software, restore your files to another usb drive. Generally speaking, all your lost files will be recovered.
solution three: when the file recovery is finished, you'd better check your usb drive.
2.Select "property", find "hard drive" and select your usb drive in"name", hit "property"
If solution three dose not work, perhaps your usb chip is damaged, buy a new one.

I have the same problem on my Adata 16GB 3.0. - RAW and it needs to be formatted. The wired thing: I just bought it a months ago from newegg and I did format it before saving photos to the ADATA USB. I did not know why a month later, it asked me to format it AGAIN?

I was pretty upset since the photos saved on the new usb was for a new married couple. You know I work for a photographic workshop.

I looked around the web and come to this forum and to my surprise, 95% of lost photos are restored sound, only 3 photos were corrupted. Anyway, I am pretty satisfied with the software and BIG THANK YOU - tomshardware and YOU!
m
l
January 16, 2013 3:02:43 AM

Do not format it!
In order to recover your data successfully, you should try a USB drive recovery software at first and then format this drive. That's the right way.
Honestly, this freeware has helped me recover my inaccessible data from a hard drive. It won’t let you down!
Tips:
1. Do not store any new data on this USB drive in case of the original data overwritten by new data.
2. Do not save the recovered data on the same drive in case of recovery failure.
3. Format this card to see whether it could work as before.
4. Do not forget to back up your important data regularly in the future.
m
l
February 13, 2013 3:12:53 AM

tprezzle said:

i followed the steps and it said the type of the file system is raw? what does that mean?
m
l
April 15, 2013 9:13:43 AM

I had the same problem when I accidently forgot to safely remove hardware, and came across this post. Here's what worked for me with Windows 7:
1. Click start, go to Control Panel, then Device Manager
2. Right-click “USB Mass Storage Device”, and select “Uninstall”
3. Unplug the Flash Drive and wait a few seconds
4. Plug it back in
5. Windows will give you the same “disk not formatted” error - don't worry...
6. Do not format the drive – click cancel
7. Then safely remove hardware (like you would normally)
8. Remove the flash drive, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in.
9. Now that it has been “safely removed”, Windows should give you a message saying “do you want to Scan and Fix” – Click the “Scan and Fix” button.
10. Check “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”
11. Click “Start” to start the scan, wait for it to complete… and then pray that it works for you like it did for me :) 
Good luck!
m
l
April 23, 2013 10:00:15 AM

"When this is open, type the following, without the brackets: [Chkdsk F: /r] Also remember that I am using the letter F as a reference, yours may be another but you can find it in My Computer."

>>did this and it said not available for raw drives?

m
l
April 25, 2013 2:35:59 AM

ClayBot said:
I had the same problem when I accidently forgot to safely remove hardware, and came across this post. Here's what worked for me with Windows 7:
2. Right-click “USB Mass Storage Device”, and elect “Uninstall”
4. Plug it back in
9. Now that it has been “safely removed”, Windows should give you a message saying “do you want to Scan and Fix” – Click the “Scan and Fix” button.
10. Check “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”
11. Click “Start” to start the scan, wait for it to complete… and then pray that it works for you like it did for me :) 
Good luck!

Have done this 4-5 times but still it says format disk.Now what should i do?????
m
l
July 1, 2013 8:17:57 AM

I suggest you to try ZAR data recovery (http://www.z-a-recovery.com)software. There you can try either image recovery mode or general data recovery mode - typically one of them works fine without formatting your usb disk. On top of that their support is also great.
And one more thing - never format the drive you are going to recover data from - no matter quick or complete format
m
l
July 1, 2013 8:18:13 AM

tprezzle said:

m
l
July 1, 2013 8:19:23 AM

hi tprezzle i tried what you said and my laptop said that it cannot open volume for direct access
m
l
July 3, 2013 8:32:05 AM

riemomof2 said:
tprezzle said:

Hi! I tried this and I'm getting a "The type of the file system is RAW. Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives. HELP!!!

m
l
July 3, 2013 8:32:50 AM

tprezzle said:

m
l
July 3, 2013 8:34:10 AM

Thanks broo thank u sooooo muchhh
again bro thanks
m
l
August 2, 2013 10:04:57 AM

Umar Farouq said:
Thanks broo thank u sooooo muchhh
again bro thanks

I think you can try connecting the USB to any of the linux machines. you can see your files.

save the files in the linux machine from USB and format your drive and copy data back to the USB.

Note that the USB Stick should be in FAT32. Else Linux OS cant recognize NTFS.
m
l
August 21, 2013 11:00:11 PM

tprezzle said:

m
l
August 21, 2013 11:03:29 PM

hi tprezzle,

i tried this but its showing " The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is nt available for RAW Drives". BUt i need the data. plz give me a solution urgently....
m
l
August 25, 2013 12:57:15 AM

tprezzle said:

Hi i tried this and nothing, still wants me to format dick
m
l
August 25, 2013 12:57:17 AM

tprezzle said:

Hi i tried this and nothing, still wants me to format dick
m
l
August 25, 2013 12:59:35 AM

Hi i tried the run menu with the Chkdsk F: /r and pressed entre,
NOTHING
it still wants me to FORMAT
PLEASE HELP ALL MY ASSIGNMENTS R ON THIS USB
m
l
September 11, 2013 9:33:11 AM

tprezzle said:

m
l
September 11, 2013 9:34:45 AM

This worked great, I will take the opportunity to back this up asap before whatever caused it happens again.
thanks tprezzle!
D
m
l
October 2, 2013 10:24:35 AM

tprezzle said:

I don't get it. It keeps on saying " The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW Drives"
m
l
a c 253 G Storage
October 2, 2013 12:44:59 PM

just_how said:
tprezzle said:

I don't get it. It keeps on saying " The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW Drives"

Try this: http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-...

More here if that did not work for you:  fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/search?q=The+type+of+the+file+sy...

Yogi

m
l
October 26, 2013 3:06:16 PM

riemomof2 said:
tprezzle said:

I Am getting the something "The type of the file system is RAW. Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives.".

Any one please help!!!!
m
l
November 6, 2013 3:28:50 AM

strawlchetty said:
tlaudicina said:
Hello,

I have same problem that My USB Format disk. ICare data recovery helps me. almost 100% of my files was recovered. Thank you so much...

m
l
November 6, 2013 10:08:52 PM

Thank you very much thank you for sharing
m
l
December 19, 2013 7:08:21 PM

I get an error (CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives). It is an ordinary thumb drive.

tprezzle said:

m
l
January 5, 2014 3:56:43 AM

you just need to install power data recovery software to recover your data....:) 
m
l
January 18, 2014 4:05:17 PM

Most of the time, error like not formatted is causes by virus on the usb drive. so first thing you may do is to use free anti virus software to scan the usb drive and make sure that it is clean. You may use Microsoft Security Essential or AVG Free
http://goo.gl/r2w2uK
http://goo.gl/byvPsq

After you making sure that the usb drive is free, you may try to get the data from the usb drive, see this guide
http://goo.gl/63xN68

If the usb drive is detected by computer, or not shown as drive letter on computer, you may assign a drive letter to the usb drive in device manager
http://goo.gl/B7crmP

m
l
February 3, 2014 6:40:52 PM

I did exactly as you said and it gave me this: The type of the file system is RAW. Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives. What do I do?
m
l
a c 253 G Storage
February 4, 2014 3:28:08 PM

Quote:
I did exactly as you said and it gave me this: The type of the file system is RAW. Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives. What do I do?

Try Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

Yogi
m
l
February 5, 2014 8:42:39 AM

tprezzle said:

Bit of a silly question but do you have to format it before doing this solution?
m
l
February 5, 2014 4:51:01 PM

haynes1995 said:
tprezzle said:

Bit of a silly question but do you have to format it before doing this solution?

m
l
a c 253 G Storage
February 8, 2014 6:23:43 PM

dfoulk2009 said:
haynes1995 said:
tprezzle said:

No. Do not format.

Yogi

m
l
February 19, 2014 10:48:41 AM

Hello all,

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM! The simple command fixes did not work for me. I downloaded a few of the recovery programs and they also did not work. What did work for me was "Icare"

After downloading Icare I first partitioned the drive, then did the recovery for my selected files. I had to go through a hundred files with no names but I eventually found the important one I needed.

A WEEKS WORTH OF WORK WAS SAVED, thank yoU!
m
l
March 10, 2014 5:56:11 AM

You're going to have a friend indeed if this works :D 

:bounce: 

tprezzle said:

m
l
March 10, 2014 6:13:39 AM

:pt1cable:  Your are my newest bestest friend EVER! :ange: 
m
l
April 12, 2014 9:48:44 AM

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that your steps for recovering the files on my flash drive were accurate and extremely helpful. I recovered every single document that was originally on the drive. I was panicking and stressed, because my thesis and other important had been saved on the disk.

Anyone on this board who is trying to recover your documents, follow his/her instructions!

Thank you again for saving me!!!
m
l
April 13, 2014 6:45:36 PM

Y0GI said:
Quote:

Yogi

Hi Yogi,

I have the RAW file message mentioned above. I tried "Recuva" & "Icare"... both didnt work. Any other tips? Startinbg to get worried.....
m
l
a c 253 G Storage
April 14, 2014 8:03:45 AM

Y0GI said:
just_how said:
tprezzle said:

More here if that did not work for you:  fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/search?q=The+type+of+the+file+sy...

Yogi

kikizlo said:
Y0GI said:
Quote:

Yogi

Hi Yogi,

I have the RAW file message mentioned above. I tried "Recuva" & "Icare"... both didnt work. Any other tips? Startinbg to get worried.....

I previously posted a solution for the RAW problem on 10/2/2013, above. If the quoted links above do not work, return to that 10/2 post for solutions.

Yogi

m
l
April 14, 2014 11:37:00 AM

Just found this thread... I've tried recuva with no luck, the error message says unable to determine file system type, which I assume is because of RAW data. I'm using a USB image tool to backup the files now, but I don't know if this will get my files back. It's taking quite a while to make the backup image, and it's making progress, but I'm getting worried. Any idea what the backup image will do? Will I be able to access files from that? Do I need to do something else?
Y0GI said:
Y0GI said:
just_how said:
tprezzle said:

Yogi

kikizlo said:
Y0GI said:
Quote:

Yogi

Hi Yogi,

I previously posted a solution for the RAW problem on 10/2/2013, above. If the quoted links above do not work, return to that 10/2 post for solutions.

Yogi

m
l
May 23, 2014 5:02:31 PM

Should you try EaseUS data recovery. ITs help me so much.
m
l
June 28, 2014 2:08:57 PM

ClayBot said:
2. Right-click “USB Mass Storage Device”, and select “Uninstall”
4. Plug it back in
Good luck!

m
l
July 3, 2014 1:22:01 PM

Hey don’t worry!!! This type of format errors may frequently occur with USB drives. The most effective resolution for this downside is using Remo Recover software.
m
l
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!