Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Easy bios flash???

Last response: in Motherboards
January 20, 2011 9:26:00 AM

Please bear with me on this topic as it is not as cut and dried as it might seem.

MSI is one of the worse boards for being able to easily update the BIOS.
I have the NF980-G65. In order to update the BIOS so that i can use the Phenom II X6 1100T CPU i have to 1. Either have a cpu just laying around that is compatable with the bios on the MB. so that the operating system can first be installed and then bios updated ( and yes that is actually the easiest way but not the way it should be) OR 2. jump thru more hoops than is reasonable * and not always sucessful floppy drive, cd, thumb drive boot* in order to update the Bios.

Many times a new cpu can be installed and one can get into the bios even though the new cpu is actually incompatable with board as board may have older bios*

ASUS boards on the other hand have a flash bios system that is part of the bios so that when you boot to the bios and scroll thru it there is a flash utility right there so that one can easily update the bios. Yes you do have to have it * new bios already downloaded and on some medium *

Does anyone out there know of an easy fool proof way to update the bios on a new just installed MSI board. And PLEASE dont point me to the msi web site as i have been down that road many, many, many years ago.

More about : easy bios flash

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2011 9:57:08 AM

You can buy a cheap Sempron and use that to upgrade the BIOS.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2011 10:24:52 AM

Return said "new board" for one that will support your hardware to start with, or buy a cheap processor as suggested above.
Related resources
January 20, 2011 11:53:07 AM

jitpublisher said:
Return said "new board" for one that will support your hardware to start with, or buy a cheap processor as suggested above.

Yeah i can but a cheaper processor to do that with but the pin config of cpus it will take means there really is NO cheap processor.
Man it does support the newer processor once the bios is managed to be updated. And there is no possible way to KNOW what version of the bios is physically on that individual board.

One would expect a board that is still im manufacture to be placed on the market with the most recent bios version.

Your reply to my post doesnt tell me anything other than what i already know and have written about. No help there.
January 20, 2011 11:58:42 AM

mosox said:
You can buy a cheap Sempron and use that to upgrade the BIOS.

Sounds great on paper but you didnt take the time research that board and then you would have noticed that its a new board and isnt that far backward compatable.

We are talking totally different chipsets and pin config. You just cant go plug in an older sempron CPU into a board ment for the newer cpus.

My post was about an easy way to update the MSI bios and not about "go buy another CPU" Think easy not $ nor time consuming.
January 20, 2011 12:01:38 PM

I am not new to building pc's. Been doing it since the days of the 386 so i do know my way around that which i talk about.
My post is ONLY about " does anyone know of an actual easy way to update the bios of the MSi mb's" Its not about buying a new or cheaper or non compatable cpu.
Its about EASY.
January 20, 2011 12:19:05 PM

mosox said:
Is this the board? It is AM3.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Here's an AM3 CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Obviously you can't update the BIOS without a CPU. Send back the mobo or get a CPU.

MB and new CPU were bought at same time. I have updated the bios so that it if fine but my real question still holds true. My Q is not so that i know as i do know and can do but more about how to make it easier than what MSI has you jumping thru hoops in order to get done. For that matter one can just take CPU from another pc and go that route but then its more about " why do i have to go thru this when there has to be an easier way"
At best it is a terrible process to deal with and no one wants to return a MB and cpu just because of the need for a bios update that the user might need to do.

Many of the posts on Newegg and others have referred to the bios updates on msi boards. not just about this one but MSI bios updates ( pre operating system in general.)

Best solution

January 27, 2011 12:43:16 AM

deerwrangler said:
MB and new CPU were bought at same time. I have updated the bios so that it if fine but my real question still holds true. My Q is not so that i know as i do know and can do but more about how to make it easier than what MSI has you jumping thru hoops in order to get done. For that matter one can just take CPU from another pc and go that route but then its more about " why do i have to go thru this when there has to be an easier way"
At best it is a terrible process to deal with and no one wants to return a MB and cpu just because of the need for a bios update that the user might need to do.

Many of the posts on Newegg and others have referred to the bios updates on msi boards. not just about this one but MSI bios updates ( pre operating system in general.)

1) Download the BIOS file from our MSI global website.

2) After downloading the file, extract the BIOS file only to a flash drive. (For easier access, make sure the file is on the root directory of the flash drive.)

3) Plug the flash drive into the computer that you want to flash and reboot the computer.

4) Push “Delete” during the post screen to enter the BIOS.

5) Select "M-Flash" and press enter.

6) Change M-Flash function to “BIOS Update”

7) Load BIOS Source File from your flash drive.

8) Browse through your flash drive for the BIOS file. Highlight the BIOS file and press enter.

9) Highlight “Yes, Flash BIOS” and press enter.

10) M-Flash will perform BIOS flash and reboot.

11) After your reboot you will get a CMOS checksum error. Press "F1" to enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults.

Back FAQ Home

January 27, 2011 1:04:38 AM

Best answer selected by deerwrangler.
!