Sign in with
Your question

HDD Lifespan

Last response: in Storage
June 18, 2012 5:30:36 PM

I came across an article where someone was suing apple because their time capsule died and the data was unrecoverable...He bought the time capsule in 2009 and it died in 2012, so that's effectively a 3 year lifespan.

Now the question is, what is the average lifespan of today's HDD's and are companies factoring this into their production line, or are they manufacturing these devices with a lower lifespan, so that we the consumers will be forced to purchase a new HDD every time a new product line launches?

More about : hdd lifespan

a b G Storage
June 18, 2012 5:39:10 PM

HDD lifespan is generally 3 to 5 years under warranty condidtions. Some however are only one year. Got to know what your buying. Oh and that warranty does not count toward data lost, only drive replacement.
June 18, 2012 5:44:52 PM

Hi Striker_jm

To expand on what price_th is saying.

I do no believe that vendors purposely produce lower quality HDD to make you come back and buy from them sooner.

The only reason I say this is because when someones HDD all of a sudden dies and people lose their data they are going to point fingers.

Who are they going to point fingers at 9/10 times? The vendor. And with brand loyaty the way it is chances are they ARE NOT going to buy a HDD from the same vendor as before.

Anyways, as price was saying about 3-5 years is about the average for a HDD life. This number can of course vary greatly depending on how you treat your HDD.

Regards,

Shinseina
a c 154 G Storage
June 18, 2012 5:52:47 PM

striker_jm said:
I came across an article where someone was suing apple because their time capsule died and the data was unrecoverable...He bought the time capsule in 2009 and it died in 2012, so that's effectively a 3 year lifespan.

Now the question is, what is the average lifespan of today's HDD's and are companies factoring this into their production line, or are they manufacturing these devices with a lower lifespan, so that we the consumers will be forced to purchase a new HDD every time a new product line launches?

It seems hard to find the MBTF for a drive.
For most hard drives, that is in excess of 500,000 hours, or some 50 years.
This wd black is 1.2 million hours for example:
http://pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Western-Digital-SATA-6...

Enterprise or server drives will be more expensive, but are engineered to last longer.
!