Registry cleaner concern

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Registry Cleaner
  • Hard Drives
  • Computer
Last response: in CPUs
July 13, 2010 5:04:19 AM

I am afraid a registry cleaner may have put things on my hard drive that shouldn't be there. My computer is acting weird. Is there a safe registry cleaner or how can I get my computer to work right I did defrag on my computer 3 times but it is still acting weird.

More about : registry cleaner concern

a c 231 à CPUs
July 13, 2010 5:07:57 AM

Dont use random programs from the internet without checking into them first, its just not a good idea. Your best bet is a clean install of windows, but first i would run an antivirus scan and see what it picks up, if you downloaded a random registry cleaner it probably dropped a virus onto your system which is making it be weird.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
July 13, 2010 5:10:23 AM

Which registry cleaner did you use and what source did you download it from?
hunter315 is right. There is a lot of 'malware' out there that would love to have access to your computer.
Did you make backups of the registry?

Maybe it's time for a 'clean install'.
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2010 5:11:26 AM

Personally, one registry cleaner I like is auslogics registry cleaner. It has a safe scan setting on it, I use it on my own pc and my wife's laptop and it seems safe. One thing you might try. Download a program called revo uninstaller. Install that, and let it scan your computer. If it finds the registry cleaner you put on, let it do at least a moderate removal, where it goes through and will run the application's built in uninstaller, but then scans your registry and files for any leftovers from that program. That may help clear out anything that registry cleaner may leave behind. Also, do you have a system restore point that was before you used the registry cleaner? If so you may consider going to that restore point, and tuning the computer from there.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2010 5:21:04 AM

This is CCleaner. It has a a file cleaner to free up space and a reg. cleaner. The reg. cleaner is not the most aggressive and has always proved safe to use (I have used it for 2 years).

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
July 13, 2010 5:22:13 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Personally, one registry cleaner I like is auslogics registry cleaner. It has a safe scan setting on it, I use it on my own pc and my wife's laptop and it seems safe. One thing you might try. Download a program called revo uninstaller. Install that, and let it scan your computer. If it finds the registry cleaner you put on, let it do at least a moderate removal, where it goes through and will run the application's built in uninstaller, but then scans your registry and files for any leftovers from that program. That may help clear out anything that registry cleaner may leave behind. Also, do you have a system restore point that was before you used the registry cleaner? If so you may consider going to that restore point, and tuning the computer from there.

^+1 i use both those programs for at least 2 yrs now problem free.
Also use CCleaner
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2010 12:06:25 PM

I "used" to use Registry Mechanic, but found CCleaner works just as well.
m
l
July 13, 2010 1:15:46 PM

+1 for CCleaner. The fact that it's not aggressive is a plus. Too aggressive wipes out the registry.
m
l
!