Sign in with
Your question

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB runs on a too high voltage?

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Corsair
Last response: in Memory
January 20, 2011 1:06:28 PM

Hello,

I just received my Corsair Vengeance chips CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9. I checked the bios and manually set it to 9-9-9-24 and 1600mhz (gave me 1066mhz at first, standard motherboard procedure I guess). The thing is, this memory is supposed to run on 1.5v however my DRAM Bus Voltage says it runs at 1.660. Is this a problem? I don't really know where to look anymore since this Asus Rampage III Gene motherboard has just a huge load of options and I know something about computers but have no clue about voltages so I don't want to mess with that without an expert with me.

I hope you guys can tell me what to do to fix this 'problem'.

Thanks!

ps. Hardware monitor also says Dram Bus Voltage 1.660V
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage 1.343v fluctuating up to 1.356v

ps2. The computer does start and works as it used to in windows (however it still freezes, that's why I bought new memory in the first place because I thought it would fix the problem and it didn't (want to exclude the fact that it could be voltages messing with my computer))

I'm no real expert, just know the basic things to do in the BIOS but voltages is just a bit out of my league ;) 

More about : corsair vengeance 2x4gb runs high voltage

a b } Memory
January 20, 2011 9:23:23 PM

The first thing is the RAM on the QVL as per your owners' manual? If it is, should be no problem using it. A voltage of 1.65 is fine for x58 chip set boards. (The voltage issue mentioned a lot right now pertains to the Sandy Bridge P67 stuff).

I suggest you press F5 when in the BIOS to reset your BIOS to stock settings, save that, then re-boot. See how that goes before doing anything more. Also, did you put the RAM dimms in the slots recommended in your Manual? I ask this because some boards prefer you use slots A2 and B2 rather than A1 & B1 for better stability.

Freezing is often a matter of RAM trouble but it can be other issues. Have you updated all your operating system files through Windows update? Are your drivers up to date? This is for things like the LAN, chipset, USB and so on. They are best downloaded from the ASUS website under your specific board and operating system.

Good luck with it. Don't get too frustrated or anxious about it....you'll get there. You have one of the best boards there is....they are superb. Enjoy it.
January 21, 2011 3:45:00 PM

It's in the right slot, it's not LAN, chipset, USB or anything with the motherboard. It can only be the RAM voltage (unlikely), Power supply (highly likely), GPU (unlikely), Hard drive (unlikely). I've replaced everything except for the power supply, GPU and Hard Drive.

Power supply fluctuates a bit with it's output, maybe it got a power surge that messed it up.

Hard Drive, no weird noises and checked it with windows programs (if you know any program that can tell me my hard drive is still oke then please tell me)

GPU, just has nothing to do with this issue because it's no graphic freezing like in games, but it just happens with whatever I'm doing.

RAM Voltage, if this can lead to instability than this could be the problem as well. However this is brand new RAM and I replaced my motherboard whilst having other RAM in there. Freezing problem persists. And now I replaced the RAM and there is still a problem with freezing.

So I don't think it's the RAM that's causing the problem either. Next thing on the list to replace is my power supply (don't have a meter to check if it works). So that's what I'm going to do then unless there is another option I've overlooked.

I've been working to get my computer stable for about a year now, slowly replacing everything (student so not really that much money) in my computer and still no luck of solving this ridiculous issue.

The Vengeance RAM should be 1.5V because that's what the manufacturer says. CPU-Z also gives me that it uses 1.5V. So I presume that that's alright.

The anxiety and frustration after a year have come to an extremely high level which is in my opinion quite logical, because I'm wasting a huge amount of money getting my computer fixed and I have no clue what exactly causes it and no spare parts just to check it quickly. It's the strangest error I've had ever and I've been here before in the Power Supply section where they didn't know the real problem either.

But you said that it should be no problem that the RAM is at 1.66V instead of 1.5V even though the manufacturers voltage is 1.5V. Doesn't that mean it's overclocking?

I'm sorry if this is confusing, I tend to think out loud a lot and hope you can understand it. If not then I'm of course happy to clarify anything! :) 

I'll try the BIOS reset now. Which does mean it goes back to 1066mhz and auto CAS of 8-8-8-20 whilst my memory is 9-9-9-24. But we'll see what happens. I'll come back here.

If you have anything to add or there is something you've noticed in the story that I just wrote, please tell me. All suggestions are worth the try!

EDIT: Just tried the BIOS reset, still same problem. No change whatsoever and still DRAM Bus Voltage at 1.66V
Related resources
January 21, 2011 4:25:27 PM

Just thinking about possible causes for your freezes...
I assume that you have checked the temperatures of the CPU and GPU when this happens and that they are normal.
I had a problem with the capacitors of an ASUS motherboard some years ago which caused the computer to reboot and freeze. This was quite a big issue, so I'd assume your motherboard does not have this problem. Plus you said you changed your motherboard at some point.

One thing you could try is to remove all but the essential components, including the hard drive, and boot from a Linux (eg Ubuntu) live CD. Just play with that for a while and see if you are still having problems. If you don't then it may be a driver (or hard drive IO) issue, or something caused by one of the components you removed.

I believe (but not 100% sure) that your CPU and mobo need RAM to run at 1.6V, it is the new i5/i7 that like their RAM at 1.5V, so you may not be able to change that setting. Someone will probably be able to clarify this, since I'm by no means an expert. Do check your motherboard manual, just in case (sometimes visiting the manufacturer's forums helps too)

I would say, other than that, that the PSU is the primary suspect. See if you can borrow a relatively new and powerful one from someone before you buy a new one.

Hope this helps! :) 

January 21, 2011 5:00:14 PM

Temperatures are normal. It's not the motherboard, nor the CPU. I was able to reset the voltage to 1.5V (did it automatically for some reason when I just checked the BIOS) but it didn't do anything against the freezing. Just to clarify, I got an I7 950 running at 3.2GHZ. So he does like low voltage ;) .

I don't know how Linux or Ubuntu works. But is there any sort of stress test for my hard drive which can show me if my drive is truly oke?

I'm going to try and get a different PSU from someone, but I don't think I know anyone that has a spare one. And if I buy a new one and that shows that the other one is busted I can send it back to the manufacturer and get a replacement which I can then sell... So that shouldn't be much of an issue. The corsair i'll buy is 100 euro's so pretty much do-able for me. But I want to know if there is a legitimate link between a semi-broken PSU and freezing.
January 21, 2011 5:16:39 PM

If your PSU is not providing enough power to some of your components because it's faulty, or it has incorrect voltages, I wouldn't be surprised that that made your system go bananas! It is expecting something from a component that has suddenly been shut down, even if it recovers straight away.

Have you tried swapping some of the (duplicate) molex connectors or are you always using the same for each component?

I wouldn't suggest the Linux live CD if it wasn't easy to try. You download it from the Ubuntu website, burn it on a CD or USB stick and boot from that device. It is friendly enough to play with for a while, you do need to know some basics if you want to work with it, but it should be enough for the purposes of testing this.
January 21, 2011 5:51:59 PM

Well I used this power supply on 2 different motherboards and 2 different processors and 2 different kinds of RAM (even though the last one isn't connected directly to the power supply). Problem persists, and I can't use different molex connectors because I only got so many and they're embedded in the Coolermaster Silent Pro 600W so can't swap them.

I have a strong feeling that it is my power supply but knowing for sure is only a matter of buying a new one. I'm selling my old memory right now Geil 4x 2gb pc12800 1600mhz chips, with the money I gain from that I'll buy a new PSU (or atleast the money I earn and something extra because I don't think I'm able to get 100 euro for those chips.

Anyways, if there are no easy programs or real stress tests for the GPU or Hard Drive there is nothing more that I can do than to just buy a new PSU and see what happens. I want the last components upgraded as well so that I can atleast continue for a few years with this computer. And after a year or a bit longer I'll buy a new GPU. So it isn't really a problem to buy one since I'm going to replace it later on anyways. But if it is for instance my Hard Drive that is causing the problem, then I'll just replace it and can continue for quite a long time without having to replace anything else, saving myself trouble and money.

Maybe something to add, I used to sometimes just shut down my pc by pulling the plug from the wall socket. Can this cause a power surge? Because I read somewhere that it's not that healthy.
January 21, 2011 6:09:11 PM

Yes, unplugging your computer like that is *very* bad. The first affected is your hard drive, since if it's reading or writing and suddenly ceases to receive power the head that reads the plates may drop and scratch or damage them. Even if the hard drive is not physically damaged your files can still be, causing long term inconsistencies and problems with your operative system. This may be the cause for freezes and reboots.
It eventually damages your power supply too.

So try to avoid it if you can!

I didn't mention that you may want to check your hard drive for problems and inconsistencies using the Windows tools that serve to said purpose, and defragging it will increase performance too. I assume you have already tried this.
January 21, 2011 6:40:43 PM

So that could be the problem you say? It wasn't a problem when I got the computer but after a while it started to freeze up without reason. Maybe than because I pulled the plug a bit too often. The computer has however a new operating system on it already (windows 7 ultimate) but the problems persist. I'll look around for some tools to check my hard drive. If that doesn't come up with anything than it's probably my power supply that is the problem. (If i'm thinking incorrectly according to you then please say so).

For now I'll just try and search for the hard drive checks and come back with the results :) . Thanks for the help so far, appreciate it!

UPDATE: I did a test HD tune pro, and it shows that whenever my computer freezes up, the activity of my hard drive goes to 0... No transfer rate whatsoever. According to the error test in HD tune pro there are no flaws in my hard drive whatsoever. Except for the speed test which showed a decrease of speed by a 100%, which meant it did nothing. As if it didnt get any power or just went idle. I can't upload the pictures I made here because I can't upload them anywhere....
January 25, 2011 2:24:16 PM

But I might as well close this topic because it has nothing to do with the memory anymore which now runs properly because of the BIOS reset. Thanks Eagle Eye_54 for that! And also Thanks Elbereth for the additional info! really appreciate it :) 

Can't select a best answer because I forgot to put it to Question instead of Discussion and it says I'm not allowed to edit it to Question. Sorry.
!