Warning: IBM Thinkpad R40 has poor external display quality

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 4:36:43 PM

I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 and want to warn anybody who plans to buy the
R40, R50 or R51 model. They don't support DVI output with the IBM Port
Replicator II. In addition to that the analog VGA signal is poor and not
suitable to work with an external display in higher resolutions (1280x1024
and above)! I called IBM: There is no workaround.

So - if You want to use Your laptop with an external monitor: Hands off the
IBM Thinkpads without an "p" in the model number (R51p, etc.).

Regards,
Inge
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 4:36:44 PM

Inge,

thanks. Is the "port replicator II" the only choice of port replicator? Or
is it just one of 2 choices?

Chip

"Inge Merten" <inge1509@gmx.de> wrote in message
>I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 and want to warn anybody who plans to buy the
>R40, R50 or R51 model. They don't support DVI output with the IBM Port
>Replicator II. In addition to that the analog VGA signal is poor and not
>suitable to work with an external display in higher resolutions (1280x1024
>and above)! I called IBM: There is no workaround.
>
> So - if You want to use Your laptop with an external monitor: Hands off
> the IBM Thinkpads without an "p" in the model number (R51p, etc.).
>
> Regards,
> Inge

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 9:34:30 PM

It's one of two, but the cheaper one afaik...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 10:01:39 PM

Thanks. Does that mean that the other one would have the video connector
that this one is missing?

> It's one of two, but the cheaper one afaik...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 12:12:48 AM

Wait till the weekend and I'll plug in my r40 and docking station II. I
really don't recall what my options are. But I like your push to a t41p.
I'm looking for a newer thinkpad to the r40, but not ready to retire the r40
either.

"Inge Merten" <inge1509@gmx.de> wrote in message
> It's one of two, but the cheaper one afaik...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 4:28:03 AM

When the Acer Travel-Mate came out a year or so ago, it had really bad video
out. I think they fixed that with a new driver. Does anyone have
first-hand experience? Could this be a driver problem?

"Chip Orange" <acorange@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Inge,
>
> thanks. Is the "port replicator II" the only choice of port replicator?
Or
> is it just one of 2 choices?
>
> Chip
>

> "Inge Merten" <inge1509@gmx.de> wrote in message
> >I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 and want to warn anybody who plans to buy the
> >R40, R50 or R51 model. They don't support DVI output with the IBM Port
> >Replicator II. In addition to that the analog VGA signal is poor and not
> >suitable to work with an external display in higher resolutions
(1280x1024
> >and above)! I called IBM: There is no workaround.
> >
> > So - if You want to use Your laptop with an external monitor: Hands off
> > the IBM Thinkpads without an "p" in the model number (R51p, etc.).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Inge

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 30, 2004 2:05:08 AM

Inge Merten wrote:
> I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 and want to warn anybody who plans to buy the
> R40, R50 or R51 model. They don't support DVI output with the IBM Port
> Replicator II. In addition to that the analog VGA signal is poor and not
> suitable to work with an external display in higher resolutions (1280x1024
> and above)! I called IBM: There is no workaround.
>
> So - if You want to use Your laptop with an external monitor: Hands off the
> IBM Thinkpads without an "p" in the model number (R51p, etc.).
>
> Regards,
> Inge

Does the Port Replicator cover the laptop's built-in video out? If not
you will get a lot better results from that.

I've noticed the audio out on my thinkpad's docking station sounds
horrible, so I'm stuck plugging & unplugging my headphones directly into
the laptop every day.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 30, 2004 10:18:07 PM

No. I have only the IBM Port Replicator II. And this one has a DVI output
but gives no signal (when used with the R40).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 30, 2004 10:18:08 PM

Have you tried the fn plus f7 key combo? You may nbeed to use the
presentation manager to get video out of the DVI connector on the port
replicator.

> No. I have only the IBM Port Replicator II. And this one has a DVI output
> but gives no signal (when used with the R40).

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 30, 2004 10:18:10 PM

> Wait till the weekend and I'll plug in my r40 and docking station II. I
> really don't recall what my options are. But I like your push to a t41p.
> I'm looking for a newer thinkpad to the r40, but not ready to retire the
> r40 either.

Thank You.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 30, 2004 11:08:49 PM

Yes I have. No DVI option available...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 2, 2004 12:38:16 AM

I have two of these docks here with no room or time to play with them. My
trial may come after I'm rested. There is not a video card in the dock II,
but a pass thru port. I'd have to look up what video I have, but it's
shared memory of some kind that was sold when this machine was new. In my
ongoing next notebook search, I do intend to go t41p or t42p. I don't need
a bigger screen, but I want more resolution on the screen. An separate
better quality video card should do the trick. I may look at a dell
lattitude d800 which is similar to the t42p.

Anyway, you made a darn good post.

!