Unable to read CD drive

a b \ Driver
January 15, 2005 2:51:02 PM

I am trying to help a friend with her PC. It's a DELL with XP.
There are 2 CD drives(1 CD and 1 DVD), but both are not working. The CD
drive will open and take in a CD. But it will not show any files. It can't
read the CD.
The DVD drive slot will not even open.

The problem is, I am unable to load anything into the PC since the CD drives
are not working, there is no floppy disk and also the internet is not working.

In order to get the CD drive working, I am trying to re-install drivers. But
even if I try to reinstall the SAME drivers, XP gives a message saying "no
new drivers available other than the ones already available". how can I
reinstall the same drivers? How can I get this to work?

Any help is appreciated.

More about : unable read drive

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 15, 2005 5:58:26 PM

Go into the case and make sure the ribbon and power cables are fully seated
on both drives and on the motherboard.

"amt7565" <amt7565@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to help a friend with her PC. It's a DELL with XP.
> There are 2 CD drives(1 CD and 1 DVD), but both are not working. The CD
> drive will open and take in a CD. But it will not show any files. It can't
> read the CD.
> The DVD drive slot will not even open.
>
> The problem is, I am unable to load anything into the PC since the CD
> drives
> are not working, there is no floppy disk and also the internet is not
> working.
>
> In order to get the CD drive working, I am trying to re-install drivers.
> But
> even if I try to reinstall the SAME drivers, XP gives a message saying "no
> new drivers available other than the ones already available". how can I
> reinstall the same drivers? How can I get this to work?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 15, 2005 9:13:02 PM

I just checked. They all seem to be connected solid.
Thanks,

"JerryM (ID)" wrote:

> Go into the case and make sure the ribbon and power cables are fully seated
> on both drives and on the motherboard.
>
> "amt7565" <amt7565@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to help a friend with her PC. It's a DELL with XP.
> > There are 2 CD drives(1 CD and 1 DVD), but both are not working. The CD
> > drive will open and take in a CD. But it will not show any files. It can't
> > read the CD.
> > The DVD drive slot will not even open.
> >
> > The problem is, I am unable to load anything into the PC since the CD
> > drives
> > are not working, there is no floppy disk and also the internet is not
> > working.
> >
> > In order to get the CD drive working, I am trying to re-install drivers.
> > But
> > even if I try to reinstall the SAME drivers, XP gives a message saying "no
> > new drivers available other than the ones already available". how can I
> > reinstall the same drivers? How can I get this to work?
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.

a b \ Driver
January 16, 2005 1:27:46 AM

Uninstall both of them with Device Manager.

Reboot and let them get re-detected.

Let us know what happens.

"amt7565" <amt7565@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to help a friend with her PC. It's a DELL with XP.
> There are 2 CD drives(1 CD and 1 DVD), but both are not working. The CD
> drive will open and take in a CD. But it will not show any files. It can't
> read the CD.
> The DVD drive slot will not even open.
>
> The problem is, I am unable to load anything into the PC since the CD
drives
> are not working, there is no floppy disk and also the internet is not
working.

> In order to get the CD drive working, I am trying to re-install drivers.
But
> even if I try to reinstall the SAME drivers, XP gives a message saying "no
> new drivers available other than the ones already available". how can I
> reinstall the same drivers? How can I get this to work?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 16, 2005 11:01:02 AM

OK-
I have uninstalled the drivers, rebooted and they have been detected and
installed again. However the same problem still persists.
The top drive will take in a CD, but can not read the files. It just comes
up empty.

I am not worried about the other drive. It's probably broken since it won't
even open the drive.

Thanks.

"V Green" wrote:

> Uninstall both of them with Device Manager.
>
> Reboot and let them get re-detected.
>
> Let us know what happens.
>
> "amt7565" <amt7565@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to help a friend with her PC. It's a DELL with XP.
> > There are 2 CD drives(1 CD and 1 DVD), but both are not working. The CD
> > drive will open and take in a CD. But it will not show any files. It can't
> > read the CD.
> > The DVD drive slot will not even open.
> >
> > The problem is, I am unable to load anything into the PC since the CD
> drives
> > are not working, there is no floppy disk and also the internet is not
> working.
> >
> > In order to get the CD drive working, I am trying to re-install drivers.
> But
> > even if I try to reinstall the SAME drivers, XP gives a message saying "no
> > new drivers available other than the ones already available". how can I
> > reinstall the same drivers? How can I get this to work?
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 16, 2005 11:05:02 AM

"V Green" wrote:

> Uninstall both of them with Device Manager.
>
> Reboot and let them get re-detected.
>
> Let us know what happens.
>
> "amt7565" <amt7565@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to help a friend with her PC. It's a DELL with XP.
> > There are 2 CD drives(1 CD and 1 DVD), but both are not working. The CD
> > drive will open and take in a CD. But it will not show any files. It can't
> > read the CD.
> > The DVD drive slot will not even open.
> >
> > The problem is, I am unable to load anything into the PC since the CD
> drives
> > are not working, there is no floppy disk and also the internet is not
> working.
> >
> > In order to get the CD drive working, I am trying to re-install drivers.
> But
> > even if I try to reinstall the SAME drivers, XP gives a message saying "no
> > new drivers available other than the ones already available". how can I
> > reinstall the same drivers? How can I get this to work?
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 16, 2005 12:20:10 PM

> OK-
> I have uninstalled the drivers, rebooted and they have been detected and
> installed again. However the same problem still persists.
> The top drive will take in a CD, but can not read the files. It just comes
> up empty.
>
> I am not worried about the other drive. It's probably broken since it
won't
> even open the drive.

I think it's time to get another drive, or, if you feel that
you can do it, carefully disassemble it and clean the laser lens.

> Thanks.
>
> "V Green" wrote:
>
> > Uninstall both of them with Device Manager.
> >
> > Reboot and let them get re-detected.
> >
> > Let us know what happens.
> >
> > "amt7565" <amt7565@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am trying to help a friend with her PC. It's a DELL with XP.
> > > There are 2 CD drives(1 CD and 1 DVD), but both are not working. The
CD
> > > drive will open and take in a CD. But it will not show any files. It
can't
> > > read the CD.
> > > The DVD drive slot will not even open.
> > >
> > > The problem is, I am unable to load anything into the PC since the CD
> > drives
> > > are not working, there is no floppy disk and also the internet is not
> > working.
> > >
> > > In order to get the CD drive working, I am trying to re-install
drivers.
> > But
> > > even if I try to reinstall the SAME drivers, XP gives a message saying
"no
> > > new drivers available other than the ones already available". how can
> > > reinstall the same drivers? How can I get this to work?
> > >
> > > Any help is appreciated.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 16, 2005 7:21:02 PM

Thanks for al help.
I exerted some pressure on the second drive case and voila! It opened. The
CD drive is working fine now.

Thanks again.
AMT-

!