Asus P8P67 Pro or Gigabyte GA P67A UD4

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I am trying to decide between these two boards, I hear the Asus ones have been having Bios issues at the moment which would mean I will likely have to update it to fix things, meanwhile the Gigabyte works pretty well out the box.
Anyone have any opinions between these two boards?

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Actually, my ASUS Pro has been superb. Sure I updated the BIOS....every new board needs that because mine was built in October 2010 and delivered to me in January 2011. Lots of issues show up in the mean time and they fixed them with a new BIOS update. Gigabyte is no different. Get the one you want. For me, I go with reliability most of all. ASUS rocks!

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

Yes, you have to flash it. My board has three ways to do it: via the BIOS directly, through windows and through DOS. I always backup the loaded BIOS first to a USB memory stick in case something goes wrong. You can get the up todate BIOS from the boards' web site and download it to a USB stick. This is how I did mine and it worked fine. Don't try Beta (in testing) downloads! If you screw up this update process, you could brick your board so extreme caution is advised. If you are not confident with this, take it to a tech or a computer geek friend and have him do it.

Hope this helps. :wahoo:

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

You didn't flash the bios? Just so you know, a technical white paper was posted on an overclocker board from a high ranking ASUS Tech the other day. He said to use the 1000 series Bios for th new boards. (I use 1003). I sure wish I had saved the URL. :(

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Ok, just so I don't mess this up, when I get the board how do I go about saving the bios to USB, and when I download the new Bios to another USB and connect it to the PC when I turn on does it just automatically do what it needs to or do I have to do anything? (spot the guy who builds PCs but actually has naf all expertise once they work!)

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

No I haven't yet. I was under the impression you shouldn't flash the bios unless there is an actual problem to address. If the newer one is recommended, I will look into it today. Thanks