Is the I/O panel necessary?

foggydj

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
The I/O Panel that came with my mobo had metal flaps that covered part of the connector holes and i wasn't sure whether to fold them back or cut them out, so i just installed the mobo without the I/O panel, but now I'm wondering if the panel was really necessary. At the time, i didn't think any harm could result from it. If anything, the case would get more air coming in and out. Should i go back and install the I/O panel?

Solution
It's mostly aesthetic, but it also helps airflow direction, prevents large amounts of dust from entering (irrelevant for most gaming cases as they are full of holes), creates another path to ground, and prevents stuff from accidentally falling in. Not installing it won't really affect day to day operation though.

sk1939

Distinguished
It's mostly aesthetic, but it also helps airflow direction, prevents large amounts of dust from entering (irrelevant for most gaming cases as they are full of holes), creates another path to ground, and prevents stuff from accidentally falling in. Not installing it won't really affect day to day operation though.

Solution

foggydj

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I decided not to install the I/O panel because the metal flaps were ridiculously difficult to work with. They didn't trim off easily and left sharp edges. I also didn't feel like taking off the mobo. I wonder why ASUS manufactured the panel that way? The holes are already pre-cut to fit the mobo, so why leave the metal flaps there?