Seemingly slow read/write WD caviar black 2TB

jerubedo

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I am a little worried about my hard drive as it has seemed rather slow lately, and upon benchmarking it using CrystalDiskMark, the sequential read speed was 90.25MB/s at max and the sequential write speed was 88MB/s at max.

My hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB hard drive.

My bios is set up to use ACHI mode.
I have the drive plugged into the 6Gb/s slot using the proper high speed SATA cables (white tipped).
According to the S.M.A.R.T. data, the health is at 100% as well as the performance.
I have the latest SATA/Intel Matrix drivers installed from my motherboard's support site.
I ran a disk check over night, and it came back with nothing out of the ordinary, no bad sectors.
The disk is 0% fragmented.
The drive is at 90% capacity (About 200GB free).
I am also benchmarking the drive while windows is running on the drive (but windows is not executing any tasks that would need any hard drive usage).

Any ideas? I am supposed to get a rated speed of up to 138MB/s read and 135MB/s write according to WD.

Solution
CrystalDiskMark uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
ATTO uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speeds.

Benchmark with ATTO and see what your results are.

jerubedo

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

I just downloaded and ran ATTO. I actually really like it as it gives FAR more data as well as data points. However, it seems to tell the same story. Both read and write are capping in the low 90s.

jerubedo

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

It is enabled. *sigh* Is this a sign of a failing drive? Or maybe I just got a bad one right off the bat? (I never benchmarked it after I got it about a year ago).

dont forget when vendors do there bench mark is on a blank drive no os..no power savings and no anti virus. i would run ccleaner to see if you can empty some space on the drive. i look into picking up another drive. when drive gets to full windows cant make a swap file and most programs cant. when i tested my ssd if you have inte lc state or power settings on..you score lower then with them off. also make sure your chipset drivers are up to date.